September 16, 2013

WEEK THREE: BATTLE OF THE CHIEFS

THE Chargers used the time honored technique of ball-control to stymie the EAGLES. On offense they SAT on the ball. They used short passes, a little hurry-up, and most importantly they took the play clock down to inside of 4 seconds before they would snap it. That allowed their defense all kinds of time to rest. 

Despite what our new coach says says about it not mattering, they killed us with Time Of Possession. Before you point out that it was only a 3 point loss, consider: You don't often get a game where there are TWO turnovers near the goal line. If we The Fans are to be truthful, that game wasn't quite as close as the score.

Brings me to Kansas City. Nothing about this match-up feels right. We have a coach coming back who not only knows our roster, but built most of it. As players and as men he knows the roster better than our current coach. Strengths, weaknesses and exposure to stresses. he knows what kind of faults he had to to mask in each man. when you can get that small, it's hard to hit you back. Don't believe me? Next time someone sneezes, try to kill the microbes by swinging your fist.

On the other hand the players know him too, right? You mean the coach with a tendency to start slow, who's now 2-0? You mean the coach who loves to throw the ball and who's team is only 20th in attempts? You mean the coach with the #8 rushing attack in the NFL? You mean the coach with the #3 defense in the NFL? You're saying we know THAT coach? Because I don't think we know that coach. 

I have no idea how this game will shake out. I have no idea what to look for. I know that Andy Reid has had Brad Childress  studying the Spread Option since he was hired in KC. I know that Alex Smith is not prone to mistakes; and I have a feeling that Andy will try to bait Michael Vick into making mistakes on reads that gave him trouble in the past. I won't put a score on this game, but I will say, that it doesn't have the feel of a win.

9 Comments:
  • jamal charles comes out and says they want to win it for Andy. Kiss of death. Put it in the loss column for the chiefs. Chip suprises again with a 24-17 win.
  • I don't know, that seems to work anywhere BUT here. Aside from that you have a QB who rarely screws up going against our Secondary, which I'm about to dub "Can't Git Right" considering how many DC's and position coaches have been through here in recent years.

It's like we're now paying for the days of Eric Allen and Wes Hopkins. Or it's karma coming back to bite us for CONSTANTLY making having THREE Pro Bowl CB's a problem somehow.
  • Just got my tickets baby!!!! So pumped.
  • Look at DRC in Denver. Hes playing at a high level. You keep guys like that and build around them. This owner has the team buying in now with a new salesman but one false promise and the result will be a team bailing out on Chip. Like a said from the beginning the team needs to change the way it does business. We have half a team and you can contribute that to a lack of spending. Its smoke and mirrors. It looks legit because we can score but they left the big gap on D and guess what the opposition scores too.
  • This is more or less what I was saying all offseason. Football teams don't improve in a vacuum. EVERYONE ELSE also improves and sharpens their knives.

For some reason whether it was T.O., or 3 Pro Bowl CB's (twice), an all-time best QB, or an all-time best coach, this franchise has a way of making success into a problem. Today we'd LOVE to have 3 Pro Bowl caliber CB's, or a genuine franchise QB.
  • I think its a Philadelphia thing. Ill continue to use DRC as an example. He had some minor flaws but you can see from an athletic standpoint that the guy is in a different category than lets say a Fletcher. Fletcher is a tough effort guy but hardly has the upside. If the shedding of talent only happened once I would write it off as a bad mistake but once you have a pattern it becomes more problematic. I see the next issue developing with Vick because he is coming to the end of the line. He may have two years then what? I mean our defense gets better then we dont have a QB. I dont like the timing of everything. Its smells of failure.
  • Luckily this year's draft is deep in the two positions that we will likely need the most help with. QB and Defensive Backs. I've already discussed many of the top QBs. However, I think guys like Bradley Roby from Ohio State or Loucheiz Purifoy from Florida might be just what this secondary needs. We can supplement that by going after another corner in FA like a Brandon Browner from Seattle or maybe even Sam Shields from Green Bay.

There's also a very nice safety coming out of Alabama by the name of Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix.
  • I posed the Vick question after that silly "QB contest" had a bullet put in it.

Vick has 6 TD's in 2 games. If he continues to play at this clip, he'll put up 48 TD's this year. Even if he only plays his customary 12-13 games, that's still 36-39 TD's. 48 is not so far-fetched an idea considering that in 2010 he put up 30 in 12 games.

Provided he puts up 30 TD's this year, do you broom him anyway? If he plays like this and we end up 6-10, 7-9, 8-8; do you go get a new QB or build around him? Regardless of how it happens, whether he's jettisoned or if they are "outbid" for him a la Dawkins, the disappearance of a 30 TD QB is a hole.

Now, if he scores 18 TD's and/or plays fewer than 10 games, he'll have made the case for his release and Kelly will look like a genius for re-doing his contract. But if Vick blows up, no matter how it shakes out if he goes and his replacement sucks, my guess is that Kelly won't see the third year of his contract.
  • The way the Eagles go about their business is strange. Im suprised Vick is so happy here. They treat him like garbage but he comes back for more. It never ceased to amaze me how Mcnabb couldnt speak up for himself. I think fans wanted that so bad and he couldnt find strength to challenge Reid and management. If McNabb had spoken up in his year 3 to 5 he would have gotten anything he asked for. Thats where he lacked leadership. He tried hard to lead by example and he did but sometimes when the playing field isnt level somebody has to speak up.

Seven kids on every youth sports team

Behind the scenes with Paulina Gretzky

100 best players of the MLB expansion era

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

Five-round NFL mock draft

Most sacred places in NFL history

10 greatest sports Bubbas of all-time

Hockey fights of the week

Reasons to stop playing recreational sports immediately

This week in MLB replay reviews

Brittney Palmer redefines sexy

12 college football coaches who are on the rise

Best bargain NFL free agents still available

2013 NFL rookies who could breakout in 2014

Grading college basketball's first-year coaches

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.