February 10, 2014

Welcome to THE GAME, Playa!

ABOUT a week from now there will be one more Eagles fan blogsite operating in Philly.

Mine

Instead of complaining about the problems here on YB, and other sites like EagleFanCast, EaglesAddict (whom I'm a contributor for), SB Nation, Eagles (hot) Message Board, BleacherReport, and the like; I just decided to do something about it that eliminates almost all the complaints of all of those sites and also adds a couple of never before seen wrinkles to boot. 

I'M CHANGING THE GAME, SON!!! Half invention and half innovation.

I'll be back to put up more info later this week as I'm still loading content, and working out some of the details of a couple things; but in about a week...

8 Comments:
  • Congratulations Flip! I'm sure it will be a great site. Good luck bro!
  • I looked into it but didn't have the time to invest in getting the blog portion correct. All I could figure out was how to use people's facebooks and being that I don't use that crap I passed on that. Let us know the name when it's up. The least we can do is give it a few hits. Just make sure stuff doesn't block the replies like this crap --------------------->
  • Oh no there'll be none of that1 And none of the BS blocking people like you have to do here. (Like I've done with EZ and GTD).

There, I'll be the site admin, so things won't be allowed to fester. Though I'm going to have a feather-light touch, when I have to do the admin thing, it'll be with a heavy hand. (I want to focus on creating content. If someone forces me to take time away from THAT, I won't be happy.)

I loaded my 'THE 12' series on there last night, and spent 2 days designing my banner. It's my first website/blog so I want it to be something that feels like the quality of work I'm used to turning out.

I have few issues that I'm still hoping to get resolved (like being able to use the font for the old Eagles logo, and not having to have my members join Wordpress.com (it's free) to write articles on my site.)

But if I can't get it JUST the way I want it, it won't be such a big deal. It's already pretty cool :)

• Sounds like a good plan. I think you will have alot of success. I will be there for sure to lend my Hollywood knowledge for all to witness.
  • You know those two trolls are going to try to sabotage your new site Flip.
  • I'm not worried about trolls. In fact I'm already dealing with 3.

It takes them what, at least 8 to 15 seconds/30-40 keystrokes to post a nasty comment? It takes me a SINGLE click to relegate it to spam.

Funny thing about it is even after I relegate it to spam, their click on my site still counts as traffic. So later when I use my stats to get businesses to pay me to host their ads, these idiots will be helping me get paid.

It's why I don't just block them. I'm all for the traffic! There are some trolls out there still playing with a message board/blog site mentality. Which is fine when your target doesn't own the site you keep bombing.

I went pro, these guys are still in college.

Update: February 22, 2014
    I just realized! I can block their comments without blocking their ability to visit the site!

Now I get to block their comments AND use them like prostitute AT THE SAME TIME!

This has been a REALLY AWESOME SATURDAY!

Update: February 22, 2014
    **prostitute(s)**
  • I just choked on my beer dude. That's hilarious. You know those two stalkers are reading this right now and going crazy. I really wish you luck dude on the site. I think the main reason we fought was because of the head troll. I won't mention any names. I'll just say he's from Delaware. I also want to PUBLICLY APOLOGIZE to you about your comic relief thread for that soldier that passed away. I honestly read a few lines and never realized what the thread was about. Back then it was just attack immediately for me. It was poor taste by me any way you look at it. Peace!
  • No problem man. I'm not even in the same place now as I was a week ago.

I'm no longer blocking EZ or GTD. I'm no longer as interested in "defending my turf" or "cleaning up the Yard" either. Not so much because I'm bailing on YB, more because I'm about done with "Birdflipper".

That moniker started as a marketing test to replace Raider75, which was getting no hits in a dead part of the Yard. Raider75 was was more like me in everyday life: Analytical, mostly laid back, and quietly no-nonsense. It went over with folks like a cement life-jacket.

So I decided to market to the idea of the "typical Philly fan". Loud, defensive, ready to fight battles I wasn't really interested in. The fans poured in. I got an MVP tag (the only one that remains in the Yard today). People read me, even when they hated me, because my content was quality, and focused on the game.

I got good at Birdflipper. I tried to take him "on the road", but to be honest, if I didn't flat out hate the format of other sites, I thought little of the posters on them. YB's line-up wrote whole posts. There were links, stats, facts, pics. It was almost perfect here.

Going other places (aside from BleedingGreen Nation) I felt like had to check my I.Q. at the door just to tolerate being there. Many sites were just stages for narcissists to rant from. Many of those are already dead.

The big boys out there like PhiladelphiaEagles.con, SB Nation and YB, are mostly corporate and care more about volume of clicks than they do quality of the fan's experience. This is why those environments look more like zoo's and the quality is so uneven.

I decided this time to take what I learned here, and make what was almost perfect, actually perfect. I feel that if you come to Eaglemaniacal you should leave it being glad you came. Like you learned something, or shared something, or connected with people who you share a love with.

Imagine me. Pouring out my soul to a Cowboys fan.

Yeah. It's about time to hang Birdflipper up with my football pads.

Peace.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Storylines for each Week 1 NFL game

Welker suspended four games

Best, worst MLB players of August

Cowboys looking to add Michael Sam

Irsay suspended six games, fined $500K

NFL player's odd reason for face tattoo

Tebow drafted over Henne in fantasy

Texans, J.J. Watt agree on extension

WATCH: Pacquiao's tribute to NFL

Raiders name Derek Carr starter

Four Phillies no-hit the Braves

CFL team has reached out to Sam

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.