November 22, 2012

WE'LL GET ' EM NEXT YEAR, RIGHT?

WE'LL get 'em next year. Same thing we said last year. And the year before. It's our annual mantra. Like Christmas it seems to have come earlier this year than it did last year.

It's not even December yet, but since both my EAGLES and my RAIDERS are both 3-7, the time has come to start sifting through the rubble to find out what's left that can be built off of. 

The RAIDERS I figured, would look like this (3-7, 4-6, 5-5) by now, but I envisioned that they'd be somehow...more...competitive(?) is I guess the word I'm looking for. There's enough talent on the team to win the AFC West, but I doubt that the will to do it is there yet.

The EAGLES I wrote were a MORTAL LOCK barring the Injury Bug not biting us too hard. At this point 4 of 5 (80%) of the starting O-line is out, 3 of them (60%) for the year. The starting QB has missed a game with a concussion and now so may the teams starting RB. We must have tried french kissing the Injury Bug hive this year.

The EAGLES simply lack the talent to compete on the NFL level at Safety. The Defense runs a seriously flawed scheme. The coordinator who got stuck with running it was fired.

And oh yeah! Let's not forget, if he's too bull-headed to recant his earlier statement, the team owner may have to fire a very good Head Coach who may very well end up coaching a division rival (Cowboys) looking to upgrade at that position; while we really don't yet have a solid replacement, open commitment, or even someone willing to admit even a passing interest.

But **** it. We'll get 'em next year.

29 Comments:
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • My optimism is curved at best. There is going to be a lot of changes that need to be made in order to turn this around. They have to get someone in here who truly knows how to evaluate talent. The Eagles most likely will cut many players. Unfortunately some of the guys we will want them to cut will most likely stay, because they have cap friendly contracts. I'm not expecting a lot from the team, because there is going to be a lot of changes. Still that change is good and is going to move them into a better direction. I find it ironic that flip is sarcastically asking about getting them next year, irked at the fact Reid most likely will be fired, and yet ignoring the fact for the last 14 years under Reid's tenure all we have said was we'll get em next year. After 14 tries I think it's safe to say Reid will never get em next year.
  • Happy Thanksgiving Easy
  • Happy thanksgiving.
  • Happy Thanksgiving Spot
  • He will put Vick as soon as he is healthy enough to play,in his mind he needs to win as many games as possible before the season ends.However I don't think it matters who is the quarterback for this team they most likely win one maybe two more games.Lurie needs to bring in someone who can rebuild this team and who knows NFL talent.I would like to see the next head coach be defensive minded and have a strong offensive coordinator.
  • Andy being a great head coach is completely overrated. A great head coach doesn't devise a game plan that calls for a rookie to chuck it over 40 times. A great head coach doesn't devise a scheme that allows Mike Vick to throw the ball over 50 times. A great head coach doesn't with less than 2 minutes left in a gain keep his best player in the game, then come up with lame "trying to win" excuses later. A great coach doesn't hire an offense line coach as a defensive coordinator. A great coach in a pressure season doesn't allow his supposedly extremely talented team to be this bad.
  • I don't think Reid's changed his style, but I do think the division is catching up with him combined with poor drafts by the Eagles and players not living up to their potential.Ultimately Reid overseas all of it so he has to be held accountable.
  • He was always overrated as a great head coach,a great head coach does not use time outs at random,a great head coach always adjusts his game plan,a great head coach always puts his players in the right position and not just says he will,and so on there are too many things to list. personally i am fine with complete rebuilding it needs to be done.
  • I knew it all along. The same problems exist with a different QB. What's the common denominator been? Who else? REID.
  • I fear the problem with this franchise is deeply, deeply entrenched. In light of the news regarding Roseman being extended, this leads me to believe that this is beyond a coaching problem. It's an ownership problem.

Yes. Reid will undoubtably get the axe in a matter of weeks. However, the fact that Roseman could be the one not only overseeing the search for the next HC, but our drafts as well is a truly terrifying thought to me.

Honestly. What worthy head coaching candidate worth his salt is going to want to take orders and have his players drafted by some glorified shyster accountant? Lurie's actions and the men he has appointed to run his football operation definitely lend credence to a belief I hold strongly.

I believe that there are very few owners that genuinely, in their heart of hearts, want to win or even give a damn about it. The late George Steinbrenner, the Rooneys in Pittsburgh, and the Mara & Tiche families of the Giants are among those that I think believe in it.

I don't think Lurie gives a damn about winning. I sure as hell don't think he gives two squirts of piss about Philadelphia or the fans. He's only in it for the cheddar.
  • The Roseman extension worries me also and for the reasons you bring up. Drafting and the possibilty of him being here hindering the search for a respectable head coach. You think Lurie would know better since reports state that he had a few head coaching candidates turn him down in 1999 due to Banner.
  • Really? I never heard that. Who were they? Anybody good?
  • The hosts on WIP (I forget who) were discussing it yesterday. Maybe stating "turn him down" is a little strong because I'm not certain an offer was ever made but Lurie wanted Holmgren but Holmgren let it be known that he wouldn't take the job basically because of Banner (again, according to the hosts). I also heard that the Eagles decided Haslett was out of the running because he told the Eagles he didn't want Banner in on personnel decisions...I believe I also heard that on WIP a few days ago. They hinted that may have been part of what caused the parting of the Eagles with Tom Modrak because Modrak was probably the reason Haslett went in to the interview insisting on certain conditions.
  • Keeping Roseman would defeat the entire purpose of firing Reid and the coaching staff to begin with. A full, thorough spring cleaning is in order. A purge if you will. Anyone and everyone that had anything to do with these horrible drafts must be purged. EVERYTHING MUST GO!
  • I don't know. Maybe Lurie is looking at the success he has had in the past and sticking what he believes works. Unfortunately, it would be moving more towards the money although they did win many games in the past. I do disagree with what you typed earlier. I do believe Lurie wants to win a Super Bowl but like most businessman also wants to make his money. It would be nice to think that Lurie thinks about a championship first but who knows how most team owners truly feel?
  • I hope Reid takes his 1997 Packers playbook with him to Dallas.
  • Lurie has been awfully quiet watching his team spiral out of control.I agree that there are very few owners that really want to win the SB and not just line their pockets with cash.The eagles under Lurie want to be very good but not great.
  • Turnovers (especially fumbles) are directly related to poor fundamental football and that's directly related to Andy Reid. I hope the Cowboys do sign him. I would love to see them fumbling and bumbling as much as the Eagles have these past two seasons.
  • For a time I thought Reid would easily get another job (not that I cared), but watching how bad his team has been playing It may not come as easily as it may have before. Of course he has a truckload of built in excuses from injuries to playing rookies.
  • This game was so bad I am wondering which is better, bad football or no football? Well at least both teams were bad so we didn't have to suffer through a blowout. Just sayin.
  • What do the Eagles do when they are at practice? I guess it is not ball protection.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

The NBA's most overpaid players

MLB players likely to be traded by July 31st

10 best WWE matches of 2014 so far

Breaking down NFL MVP odds

The best GMs in the NFL today

Best 40 and under college football coaches

Most underpaid players in the NBA

Trade needs for each MLB contender

Who is the #1 fantasy football pick?

Most exciting walkoffs of the week

Way-too-early 2014 bowl projections

NBA free agency and trade tracker

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.