August 11, 2012

What I Was Looking To See And What I Saw. With Grades Included.

1)      I am looking to see the people in that stadium get on their feet and cheer their heads off for Coach Reid at the start of the game and give him their support during this difficult time in his life.

I saw the fans do this very thing. It was a classy move done by everyone involved. Eagle’s fans get a bad rap, but they are the best in the business as far as I’m concerned.

Grade: A++

2)      I want to see the first string offense score a touchdown on the first or second series. The last time the Eagles played the Steelers in preseason they began to show the first signs of the nightmare team who at the time were called the “Dream Team.” I want to see them get, look sharp, and get out.

I saw an offense that barely got to see the field in the first quarter and barely did anything when they were playing. Once again the Steelers expose some of the cracks on the offense and defense. Once again the Red Zone defense gets exposed. Once again we as fans are making excuses for it.

Grade: F

3)      I want to see how Kafka performs under live pressure. The Steelers are a team who will blitz in preseason games. They don’t let up so this will be a real test for Kafka. It will be a chance to see if the Eagles can count on him this season if he is needed. Considering the often injured Mike Vick is the quarterback he most likely will be needed.

Under live duress Kafka panicked and threw what was meant to be a screen pass right into the stomach of a Steelers defender. There was also a lot of dink and dunk plays. Most of his deep passes were inaccurate. Overall it was a very poor showing for Kafka.

Grade: D-

4)      I want to see the rookies obviously. Especially those who will be playing and having an immediate impact this season. Kendricks, Curry, Cox, Thomas, and Boykin all could end up with significant playing time this season. This will be our first chance to see if they will be up to the task. Consider the fact some of Reid’s former great players (McNabb, Westbrook, Sheppard, Brown, and others) weren’t expected to come in and make an immediate impact like these rookies are being expected to.

I thought Kendricks played well, but he was still making a few mistakes, but he was talented enough to overcome them. Boykin and Johnson showed some life to the return game I haven’t seen in a while. Cox is still learning and his curve seems longer than expected. Curry had himself a party in the backfield. Foles looked great out there. Granted it was against third string players, but he escaped pressure, and he got rid of the ball quickly against the blitz. He did enough in my opinion to at least get some reps this preseason to see if he can actually challenge for the number two spot.

Grade: B+

5)      I want to see some heads get knocked by Jarrett. There have been stories out in camp that Jarrett’s been laying some wood out there. He apparently even made McCoy fumble (something he did once last season), so I want to see if Jarrett has turned the corner is ready to try to give Coleman a run for that safety position.

My goodness this kid was terrible out there. He took poor lanes against the run and the pass. He made terrible decisions all over the field and he slammed hard into his own man on a few occasions. He is going to hurt one of his teammates if he doesn’t get cut first. I was rooting for the Temple product, but I don’t see him being an NFL pro.

Grade: F

6)      I want to see Brandon Graham version 2. Everyone keeps talking how he’s been a man on a mission to prove everyone wrong. Thursday is his first chance to get started.

Brandon Graham version 2 was as good as advertised. He played a nice game verses the starters and the backups. I think he’s made Tapp expendable and a possible trade chip prior to the final cuts. On a side not Philip Hunt has to make this team. Dude can ball.

Grade: A

7)      I want to see someone take over the return game. Last season between Jackson moping and Dion Lewis having no idea how to return kicks the Eagles struggled on special teams and were often strapped with poor field position. I want to see one of these young kids can step up and solidify the return game. Starting drives inside the 20 after the other team scored simply isn’t going to get the job done this year.

Looks like both kids showed explosiveness out there and could become valuable assets to this team. Although I think it will be hard for the Eagles to justify cutting Joselio Hanson. The guy is just a pro. He made two great stops in a game where the defensive secondary didn’t have much of a positive going for them. Boykin didn’t have a great game in the secondary when he was out there. It will be interesting to see what the Eagles do with Hanson.

Grade: B+

5 Comments:
  • Over all the Eagles first and second teams were sub par. Here after dedicating the season to Andy Reid's son they come out with an overall lack luster performance. Where was the emotion? Where was the hype? The only big hit from the Eagles came off a dirty play. Players are still looking confused in the secondary. The run defense is still getting gouged for big yards. The Red Zone defense is still giving up points. The same problems will bring the same results.
  • Even Vick cant get them amped up anymore but he tries. This team doesnt care. they needed a new coach & ideas at least two years ago.
  • I would say they needed a new coach since 02-03, but I know people will disagree with that. Perhaps if they made the move then like the Buccaneers and Colts (and it got them their tittles) did perhaps the Eagles would have been the victorious team in 04-05. Yet some people think it's wise to continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.
  • Here is the real deal,the secondary was confused, safty jarrett #1--on the run play,was stop,he leap to soon and took out vinny curry out of play. That f"""k up period,second year in league,kafta injure,eagles need a proven vet back up qb,foles needs another year in system. If they are serious play for deep run in playoffs. Note,andy reid is head coach,other coaches around him,have to do there jobs,if not get new Coaches. Just like belichick in new england,will not have any starting players half hand tackling basic stuff. overall grade is good!!!
  • To piggy back on your coaching staff comment consider this. Sean McDermott and his defense (which by the way had many of the same problems then as they do now) got the Eagles to the playoffs twice yet he lost his job. How can Juan with a better cast of talent keep his when you consider the fact many of their 4th quarter losses were directly related to stunning defensive collapses?
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Bills sign Kyle Orton

Meet the 2014-15 Oregon cheerleaders

Pelini: Marijuana use is ‘out of control’

Highlights from Eli Manning's AMA

NFL suspends Aldon Smith for 9 games

Giants RP retires 46 straight to set record

HR legend tries to hit 186 MPH fastball

M's player goes after scout following taunt

Kenny Hill sets A&M record in upset win

2014 Heisman Trophy favorites

Shaw asked USC to change hero story

Jake 'The Snake' Roberts hospitalized

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.