December 26, 2013

What If Nick Foles Started Week One?

Nick Foles verses Mike Vick? The debate has pretty much already been settled, but perhaps people don’t know how different the play of these two players makes the record of the Philadelphia Eagles. Everyone is making excuses from the luck of the football guys to calling coach the coach a “leprechaun”, but failing to see what’s right in front of their faces. Nick Foles is simply a better quarterback and the reason why the Eagles are in a game of winner take all for the division. The best two quarterbacks statistically in the division are the last two standing…. Well sort of since Tony Blomogames decided to go Broke Back, but that’s for another day. Back to the point, Nick Foles is the reason why the Eagles are a better football team considering the fact all of the starters haven’t changed offensively, except Foles. His ball protection skills keeps the Eagles defense mostly in favorable positions thanks to the fact the team punts rather than gives up costly turnovers. A poor three and out by a Foles led offense is a far better option than turnovers from Mike Vick. Some of you may not wish to go here. You would ASSume I’m beating a dead horse, but to show those people how much better Foles is to Vick I have put together what the projections would have been if Foles started all 16 games and what they would have been if Vick started all 16.

Foles Comp avg 15.5 att avg 24.25 219yds avg 2.08TDA .2 inta 1.9 SackA  4.3 rushA 18.9rya .25tdra .25fuma .08lostA

Projection 248/388 .639% 3,505yards 33TD 4Int 31Sacks 68rush Att 302rush yds 4rush TD 4Fumbles.

Mike Vick 11comp Avg 20.14 yds avg 173.6 tdavg.714 int avg .43 sacks avg 2.14 rush avg 5.14 rush a yds 43.71 avgtd .29 avg fum .571

Projection 176/322 .547% 2,768 yds 11 td 7int 34sacks 82 rush att 700 yds 5td 9fumbles.

Foles Total Yards : 3807

Vick Total Yards:   3468

Foles Total Tds:  37

Vick Total Tds:    16

Foles turnover chances 8

Vick turnovers chances 16

Although Foles turnover numbers would be projected lower than in the past, his paltry 16 touchdowns would make the Eagles offense seem anemic. Vick would basically give the ball up nearly as often as he scored. The team would have floundered and Chip Kelly’s first season would have been wrapped up sometime early November. With Foles the offense would have been prolific, and he would have been the center of a scoring Machine. The Eagles could be at least two games up on the Cowboys right now making the current game meaningless. Perhaps that setback in the original Cowboys game doesn’t happen, because Foles would have already played that bad home game. Sure this is all hypothetical. The chances of Mike Vick ever playing a full season are slim to none, but imagine if Foles did start day one and was the guy we have seen him to be? Now imagine where this team can go once he really starts learning how to be an NFL quarterback? Nevertheless some of you despite all this still will think the team will have a new QB in 2015. Oh well…. You can’t fix stupid.

//

5 Comments:
  • There is one thing about Foles that has won me over. He's making all the right decisions. He's not going to be the one that throws that costly pick/pick six putting your defense in one compromising spot after another like Vick (rhyming accidentally).
  • I wrote Foles turnover projections, but I meant Vick. Vick likely would have had less turnovers, but would have been sacked more and would not have scored enough points to compensate for the turnovers he would accumulate over a season. When the season would be over Vick would have done enough for some to think it wasn't his fault the team was losing. Still not grasping how detrimental a QB who turns the ball over can be for a team. The Giants are where they are because their QB isn't making up for all of those terrible turnovers he had this season. The Redskins QB is also throwing far more interceptions than his previous season. The right QB can turn a 3 win team into a 12 win team.
  • We can't be certain the numbers would be as good but watching Foles game after game there is no reason to believe that the Eagles wouldn't have had this lowly division won by now. I keep waiting for his numbers to tail off...even just a little bit but it really hasn't happened. His "bad" game lately was a 60 plus percent completion rate, 3 touchdown , 428 yard performance against the Vikings where he couldn't match Cassell carving up the Eagles secondary. Anybody looking for reasons why Foles may fail or looking two years down the road thinking Foles will be traded instead of just being excited at what he's done is not looking out for "their" teams best interest...speaking of barker's who don't look out for their team's best interest...I heard Asomugha announced his retirement tonight. I'm surprised being that the only reason he struggled with the Eagles was because of the safeties (sarcasm, there Eazy).
  • Explain the chargers game
  • @green: yeah certainly at this point Foles has done enough to show he belongs in the NFL. Not only that but he's shown that he can be a legit to possibly elite starter in the league. The kid is still so young and has already accomplished some crazy numbers. It seems like every week this kid is breaking some record for the Eagles and you have to belive if he's capable of playing at this level or higher anything is possible for us. That's reason enough alone to be excited. Why some people aren't excited I don't have a clue if they are claiming to be Eagles fans.

@20: I would certainly place the blame on Chip Kelly for both the Vikings and Chargers losses. With that being the case the Chiefs loss can be directly placed on the shoulders of the offensive players and their lack of ability to hold onto the football. I feel that if the offense could have done a better job of protecting the ball that game is much closer. Granted the defense was terrible on third and long, but the offense was killing them by giving the Chiefs short yardage. Vick threw an awful pick six. I also believe we win the Giants game with a healthy Foles. I'm not convinced we win that game even with a healthy Vick.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Most controversial NFL suspensions

Best, worst in-season trades for each team

12 managers who are on the hot seat

25 most memorable plays in NFL history

10 NHL players looking to bounce back in 2014-15

Most confrontational sports interviews

MLB trade deadline tracker and analysis

The biggest busts in WWE history

Introducing the scale of NFL sadness

College football's most improved teams

Best MLB prospects by projected WAR

Gallery: Wrestlers dressed like dorks

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.