February 23, 2013

What QB to draft?

Ok I'm pretty sure everyone is in agreement that the Eagles NEED to draft a QB this year if not to increase the competition in this years draft but also to try and develop a guy for maybe next year or the next. So the question is who should the Eagles take? and when? The "experts" seem to think that there might not be a QB in this years draft worthy of a first round pick. The consensus is that Geno Smith is the top of the class and many mock drafts have not only him but Matt Barkley going in the top ten. So if Kelly doesn't take Smith at #4 where do you see the best value for a QB later in the draft? I like Tyler Wilson's toughness plus he's got decent mobility could be grabbed in the 2nd. E.J. Manuel is intriguing he's got size and mobility but sometimes holds on to the ball too long. Collin Klein is a guy who could go way late in the draft or even end up as a FA. He needs some coaching but he's tough and displays good leadership. If it comes to a 6th or 7th round pick and he's there I'd be inclined to pull the trigger and grab him rather then snatch a guy who most likely will end up on the practice squad or cut.

12 Comments:
  • I think we get E.J. Manuel.

Personally I wish we'd leave the QB's alone this year, and use our picks on guys who WILL help us down the line. Here's what I mean:

1) Generally to not waste a pick on a QB, you have to take him in the first 3 rounds. Since we only have one pick per round we'd be using our 1st, 2nd, or 3rd to grab a QB, even the best of whom so far don't sound very promising.

2) We have a ton of holes to fill. Secondary and Offensive Line both need more than 1 player, and we may still need another OLB. Drafting a lackluster QB only prevents this from happening.

3) QB controversy. The fans already don't like Vick as the starter, adding a drafted QB to the situation could be a season-long headache for our rookie HC.

4) Vick himself. If he's as bad as everyone expects him to be then we'll be in position to select from what's projecting to be a more promising crop. At least according to the people who monitor such things.

Usually you take Draft prognostications with a grain of salt, but the thing here is that EVERYBODY who does this for a living is saying THE SAME THING about this QB crop. If it was just one network or guy, or magazine, or ex-player you could try to overlook it, but everybody? Everybody??

Anybody who gets a lemon out of this Draft did it with their eyes wide open. I just would like the Eagles to not be one of the teams that gets burned, when there were dozens of warning signs and flashing lights before they did.

As far as Geno Smith, I was not impressed after I watched this bit of film on him.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000143896/article/geno-smith-confident-he-can-handle-any-offense-at-qb
    He talked endorsements, he talked impressing coaches, he talked training. He did not mention the actual sport of football ONCE. I don't see focus and intensity.

Through all of McNabb's coming out, who did you see with him? Sam and Wilma. In the room with Geno as he signed his deal? Homies. Homies plus money? Bad sign.

I'd rather see us grab some linemen or a CB and a FS early. The idea of a QB this year freaks me out.
  • I agree i'm not sold on Geno either but just because no one seems to be a starting caliber QB this year that doesn't mean that one of these guys can't sit for a season or two, learn the system, and then take over. Thats more of what i'm looking to get out of this years draft with a QB. But you are right we need another starter on the offensive line plus depth along the line, and the secondary need to be upgraded big time at every spot.
  • I just don't want to waste any draft picks. Especially since I know that:
    A) Good teams are built through drafting.
    B) That there will be a LOT of roster turnover in the coming years.
  • that's true be a guy like Manuel could be great in a year or two with some coaching
  • i dont think there is a qb in this years class worth us drafting. i dont see any of them taking us to the super bowl. manuel seems to be the consensus pick but i think we need to build the rest of the team before we put a qb back there to get his head taken off or with such a bad defense. i say go into the season with vick as the starter let him try his ass off. if we do bad we r in better position next year for a qb. if we do good we know we have a decent team with decent coaching.
  • I've been stating Manuel or Nassib for weeks now while leaning towards Manuel. Supposed to have from a very good arm to a cannon depending on who you read (threw the ball 66 yards at the skills competition), good speed and his body seems built for the hits that this offense is sure to dish out. Threw for 41 TDS (to only 18 picks) for over 7,000 yards and had a 25-6 record as a starter his last two seasons while completing over 66% of his passes...and the man can run. The team has other needs but it also NEEDS a QB. If not one in this draft then when...next year? No guarantees even if the Eagles get the first pick and draft who everyone feels is the #1 overall pick (and that is not likely to happen). I'm sure some were thinking that San Francisco reached on taking Kaepernick when they drafted him in the 2nd...I doubt anyone is thinking that now. Not stating that Manuel is the next Kaepernick but why couldn't he be? The Eagles will have to take some chances to find out. They can't just think that their quarterback of the future will be waiting for them in next years draft...if they like one in this years draft that fits Kelly's system than they should pull the trigger and they may be able to get some of that value back by trading Foles.
  • ...Manuel threw for over 6,000 yards not 7,000...my bad but still good numbers.
  • An update on my post above. Nassib is most likely out of the picture being that he couldn't break a 5 second 40 at the combine unless he had a bad day and can vastly improve his numbers on his Pro day. I'm surprised he ran Nick Foles numbers...his expected numbers I saw were around 4.8 and I thought if he could drop those numbers a bit he would be a viable option when adding that to the Eagles interest in him. EJ Manuel ran a 4.66 so he definitely has the speed to run the read option. Geno Smith surprised a bit with a 4.59 which I think was better than what most teams thought. He still remains an option if the Chiefs pass on him although if he has a very nice combine there may be a team that trades for that number 1 and takes that chance on him.
  • We have 4 qbs on ours roster. Unless there is movement of our current roster I think the Eagles stay put and draft other needs.Things could change rapidly if Eagles take shot on Geno.
  • The more the Eagles go down their current path ( cutting veterans, and acquiring dead money to their cap) the less likely I see them drafting or trading a quarterback this season. Trading Foles and drafting another QB in the first or second round will only put more money on their cap.
  • Starting to look like business as usual. Pocketing money and putting garbage on the field. We will see but so far the Jenkins and Patterson move is a mistake. Im losing confidence rapidly. But they have trained me not toc care so phuckem.
  • It's nothing like business as usual as the Eagles under Banner rarely accounted for dead cap money, because they never wasted money signing overpriced veterans. When their contracts expired the Eagles rarely resigned these players. They went in the other direction and now they are screwing themselves like the Redskins did for years.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

10 players who will make their first Pro Bowl in 2014

Gallery: The best of July

Most pathetic NFL teams of modern era

NFL players already out for the season

Worst players to get HoF votes since 2004

Gallery: The best of Anastasia Ashley

College football's celebrity fans

Career moment of each HoF inductee

One question for every NFL team heading into camp

10 best play calls from the 2013 college football season

Most controversial NFL suspensions

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.