July 19, 2013

What’s So Great About The 2010 Eagles?

This team has been placed on some type of pedestal as if they were on verge of greatness and for the life of me I can’t see why. All that team showed is how quickly a quarterback (once he’s figured out) can age and decline. Let’s not forget that team lost in the first round of the playoffs AT HOME. Earlier that season Mike Vick stated had he starter the Packers game he would have beaten them. Well he got his chance in the playoffs and lost. That team signifies the beginning of the current mess of players writing checks with their mouths that their play on the field can’t cash.

Still for some odd reason Eagles fans view that team as if it were some form o greatness. True there were some good times. The Madden Football Videogame like performance by Vick verses the Redskins, and the improbable comeback verses the Giants. Still there were times that team left us completely confused at how good they really were like their clunkers verses the Bears and losing to the Vikings with Joe Webb at quarterback. All in all they were just an average team.

That’s precisely the reason why Andy Reid blew it up signing multiple free agents and completely changing his entire coaching staff. When the dust settled the Eagles revamped themselves and we all ASSumed they got better. In fact they got worse with a Defensive Coordinator learning of the job, and grumpy offensive and defensive line coaches who were talked out of retirement. The teams since 2010 have become far worse. The truth is the 2010 Eagles weren’t on the verge of something, but instead were the beginning of an end of something. It marked the beginning of the end of Andy Reid in Philly.

46 Comments:
  • and that was 3 years ago...
  • I agree, but people act like that team achieved something. They got bounced in the first round of the playoffs and then got dismantled. People are hanging on to that team as if they did something of merit. It's time to turn the page.
  • If you were to ask me which team I thought should've won it all for us. My answer may surprise you. You'd think I would say the 04-05 Eagles, but I think the 02-03 Eagles would've run a train on Oakland had they made it. To me, this is what makes the loss to the Bucs that much more devastating.
  • Reid unable to find answers. A bunch of scrub WR's holding McNabb down.
  • I have to blame that loss on the defense. How do they let Joe Jurevicius score the way he did? Barber killed them too though.
  • That's what they get for trying to take KMart and pass it off as Gucci. BDawk, McNabb, and JJ are the three men most responsible for our success during that time. The FO basically got what they paid for in regards to the talent they surrounded them with.
  • I mean look at the 2 QB's mostly being talked about as leading the franchise into the future, a 3rd rounder and a 4th rounder (And in the meantime we have a placeholder who I once said 'read defenses at a 3rd grade level'). There has been NO MOVE to add another franchise caliber QB since trading McNabb.

If you want franchise players, you have to GO GET franchise players.

As far as JJ's coaching, he was genius at adjustments but at times we got shelled BECAUSE of his style. Not being able to pressure a QB with 4 is a liability, and both Tampa Bay and Arizona (in particular) exposed and exploited that weakness.
  • Funny we are in one of those rare moments of agreement.
    I place less blame on JJ for the lack of pressure than I
    do on Reid. JJ could only work with the players he was given. It's a miracle he got what he did out of some of
    those players like Darvin Walker.
  • Now wait sec. JJ had Jevon Kearse and Corey Simon at on point. He NEVER got anything besides a decoy out of Kearse. he also had Trent Cole, but he schemed to enhance Cole deficiencies rather than mask or offset them. Let's not pretend JJ didn't have some decent talent up there. He just never had any consistency from the LB's. Which is as much Banner as it was Reid.
  • I'm not going to blame him for Kearse as he did nothing after he left Philly. Not going to blame him for Simon as he ate himself out the league. He did get a lot out of Douglas and Cole. I agree with you on the linebackers, but Reid didn't value the position.
  • I can't think of an Eagles coach since Ryan who did.
  • Reid when he first came to Philly valued the position. One of his first signings was Emmons and Barber. Then he just said screw it.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • I would have LOVED to see that Super Bowl!

Tamp Bay earned my hatred the following year when they were scheduled to play us on September 8th on Monday Night Football. Their website had a video of a pirate ship crashing into Vet Stadium with the flashing words: "WE TORE DOWN THE VET!" Our subsequent loss to them that night (I just looked up the score it it was 0-17) was like iodine in a wound.

But I would have LOVED to see my teams go at it.
  • As My buddy has told me over a million times...
    Let it go
  • I've been let that team go, but for some reason some fans (at least on this site) still believe Mike Vick can rekindle that fire he had for about 8 games in his entire NFL career and lead the Eagles to something. People need to stay off the drugs.
  • Whats so great about the Eagles?
  • That's the kind of question I expect a Non-Eagles fan to ask. If you don't feel anything for the Eagles then perhaps you fit in the Non-Eagles fan category.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • You cant respond. Thats interesting. Tell me. Im just curious of why people think they are great.
  • They either are or aren't your team. You figure out how you feel about them for yourself.
  • So being my team means they are great? Thats a fair analysis. They are OK but not nearly great. They have never been great. Very good yes. Great no.
  • I would call the early 2000s Eagles very good to great. Certainly aspects of the team have been great like in the late 80s- early 90s the defense was great. They are my team so overall they are great to me. It's a free country. Nobody is forcing you to be a fan of the Eagles. If you hate it so much you should simply walk away. Your hearts in Baltimore. Be happy with your champions there.
  • Im happy for my city. They have 3 superbowls and a real tradition of winning. The Eagle defense was great but the otherside of the ball was in shambles less Cunningham. It wasnt a great "team". You cant even stamp the 2000 teams great. They were good. Thats it. Quit making something out of nothing. Its not hate its fact.
  • The Eagles mean something to me and so does my city. If they mean nothing to you the perhaps you should find another team/city to root for.
  • They have great fans. They have a great city. They have had good teams . Thats accurate.
  • But who's decision is it to name who QB's Chip Kelly's.
  • I don't see anybody on here saying that was a great team. Michael Vick captured national attention with a good run for a few games, but even he faded down the stretch.

I don't listen to call in shows everyday, but when I do I'm not hearing it there a lot either.
  • "great team". I dont think you can use this term to describe any Eagle team.
  • I read it all the time here. It may not be in that form, but it's in the idea. People reference 2010 all the time specifically when it comes to Vick. 2010 (not even the entire season) was an apparition and not the standard for Vick. Still some people are expecting miracles to happen out of something they've already seen continuously fail with different teams and different coaches. I know it's everyone else who's at fault right?
  • Again: Nobody here thinks that was a great team. You must be confusing YB with some other website that you frequent.
  • Oh yeah 2010. That's when the "Young Guns" starring Kevin Kolb were supposed to lead us to the Super Bowl.
  • KK. Stop mentioning him. Hes not even worth a groan.
  • Man the Phillies are putting a whuppin on these Mets!
  • They've got their work cut out for them if they want to get anywhere close to the Braves much less the wild card though.
  • It'll be easier to win the division than the WC anyway. MAKE THE PUSH!!!
  • Well the Mets have made a push to make this game interesting. Aren't they like 5 out of the wildcard though? In any case they generally are a second half team. Even last season they made a push. They aren't out of this yet.
  • I've been saying that same thing since before Spring Training. You have to be playing some absolutely god-awful baseball to be out of it before the break.
  • I hope Amaro Jr. doesn't go out and bet the young future on this season. Maybe add a veteran piece here and there for other veterans and cash or some mid to lower leveled prospects. Just like they did when they picked up Joe Blanton and Matt Stairs. If they can hold out for a couple of months, pick up a player or two for the pin they will find some of their injured guys will be returning for a late playoff push.
  • Not a damn thing except this is the last time we seen success in the regular season. Obviously the playoffs resulted the same way they always do cause we didn't see the parade. It's also the start of the post dmac era we r still stuck in until we find the next franchise qb. This team will be the standard until we see the post season again.
  • I think you could be right. The problem is this standard looks alot like the Keith Millard and Andy Harmon years with Zordich at safety. I actually liked Zordich. I just want to see some hitting. If not Ill turn them off and go about my business.
  • Finally success. So to continue if we know that going down this same path (ie not having a franchise QB) and we know that playing 7 accomplishes "not a damn thing" why not turn the page and see what one of these other guys can do. You yourself wrote it. This is going nowhere until we find a legit QB. Now I'm not telling you Foles/Barkley/Dixon are franchise QBs, I'm just saying we know Vick isn't. Why continue to bang your head against the wall?
  • Vick has been a solid performer for multiple franchises. If it wasnt for an interuption in his career he probably would be in Atlanta going on his 10th or 11th season. isnt that a franchise QB?
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

The NBA's most overpaid players

MLB players likely to be traded by July 31st

10 best WWE matches of 2014 so far

Breaking down NFL MVP odds

The best GMs in the NFL today

Best 40 and under college football coaches

Most underpaid players in the NBA

Trade needs for each MLB contender

Who is the #1 fantasy football pick?

Most exciting walkoffs of the week

Way-too-early 2014 bowl projections

NBA free agency and trade tracker

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.