December 13, 2013

Who To Choose Cooper Or Maclin?

It seems to me that one of these guys will get paid while the other one will get sent the door. It's a difficult choice either way. In Maclin we have a guy who uses his speed to get separation, and by training camp should be ready and healthy to go, but there is risk involved with Maclin. He isn't exactly what you would call a big receiver, and he's coming off a major injury. Giving him a long term deal could be risky; however if the Eagles wish to keep him they may have to offer him a multi-year deal. He's certainly been far more productive of a player than Cooper has been, but he's never played a game in Chip Kelly's system. That means Kelly doesn't owe him anything. At this point he seems a long shot to be back, but now everyone should understand why Desean Jackson acted the way he did while he was trying to get his money.

Then you have Riley Cooper. This season has been a breakout one no doubt for Cooper. He's now learned how to use his body and fight for the football. His season started terribly with his racist rant, and extremely spotty play, but now he's become Nick's number one target. Clearly there's a comfort level between these two players that could give Cooper an edge over Maclin. Still Cooper has been a one season wonder and was nothing more than mostly a special teams guy for years. Cooper over the years has had his best performances with Jackson though and together they could be a dynamic duo of receivers.

The question becomes if you're the Eagles and you could only keep one which do you keep or do you let them both walk? With Cooper it could be that he's finally turned the corner or it could be a case of getting paid and disappearing. With Maclin there's the consistency, but he's never played in the system, and the fact he would be returning from a major knee injury. At this point I would take Cooper since he and Foles have a connection, but drafting another wide receiver would also be a priority for me if I were the Eagles brass. 

//

16 Comments:
  • Cooper. He's more of a playmaker and Maclin always has something wrong. When he does play it seems like he has to go to the lockeroom once a game. We've needed a bigger target at wideout for years and now we finally have it in Cooper.
  • How about both? If the Eagles only commit to one it will probably be the guy Kelly got to see play and will be cheaper (and has been healthier)...Cooper.
  • I agree with both of you guys. I know it would be nice to keep, both, but I think it would be a better usage of funds to use money instead of on Maclin for a solid young safety about to enter his prime and simply draft another receiver.
  • If Byrd does hit the market and we can get him at a reasonable price, I'd say go for it. Also I don't see why we couldn't retain Cooper and Maclin. I'm actually liking Trent Murphy or CJ Mosley if we go LB. I know not our greatest need, Mosley is probably BPA there and I feel Murphy may be a hidden gem in this class.

For CB, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu of Oregon, Jason Verrett of TCU, or Darqueze Dennard of Michigan State could be good bets for our current slot.
  • I think we may luck out. Maclin is coming off the injury so we may get the hometown discount for one year. With cooper he would have to go into another locker room and explain the incident. If I had to chose I'd probably go with maclin just because he has been more productive for more years. Also a guy who knows how to use his size can be found in later rounds just like cooper was. It's not a guarantee he will produce like cooper has this year but it's not a guarantee cooper produces like this next year. They can just give cooper a avants money and a little of benns that may be enough. That should be enough to get maclin on a one year deal as well. It's around 5 million.
  • Seeing as this was supposed to be Maclin's contract year, that's not a bad idea. A one year deal can act as his contract year.
  • I wonder if Maclin can be had for only one season? I'm sure Reid would be willing to toss a little coin and years to his former 1st round pick.
  • Yea I think that's a big concern but if we can't get him for one year I'd pass. He's always injured and no one knows how he will come back from this injury. He's not ap. the question will be does maclin feel any loyalty to the eagles or to Reid? I'm sure other teams will be intrigued but my guess is he feels close with these too team because it's who he knows. On one hand he has all his friends from the team in philly. On the other hand he has the man who picked him and the system he already knows how to play in, in Kansas City. My guess is they go one year deal and let him test the market.
  • It's going to come down to how much the Eagles believe in Maclin. If they give him an insulting offer he may bail like Smith did to the Giants. I wonder if Maclin will turn out like Smith did. They have a similar demeanor. I wonder if Maclin can comeback and be effective again.
  • I've been stating the same thing ever since his injury, 20dawk. I think it's a real possibility.
  • You know guys there are a lot of pending Eagle free agents who have contributed to this team this season. Guys like Ced Thorton, Peters, And Kelce to name a few. If the team wants to look at brining in a free agent or two it may not be wise to put a ton of money in Jackson, Maclin, and Cooper. At best I think the team can only keep only two of them even if Avant is cut.
  • Im a little hesitant about having a reciever like Maclin play ona 1 year contract. Nicks and Jackson are good examples of what happens when you avoid contact to stay healthy. I think they should keep Cooper and look for some speed and size in the slot. Maclin has bad Karma.
  • I agree. I don't think after what happened Maclin would be interested in playing on a one year deal either. I get the feeling he will end up in KC or worse he goes to another NFC east team. Imagine him lining up on the other side of Dez Bryant! That would suck!
  • you know what sometimes you just have to say goodbye. It will take him time to get settled on new team. He had alot of benefits of a strong offense in Philly. They allowed him to run the safe patterns and he had reasonably good results. A big contract means bigger expectations. But the again the game is changing in his favor. He may breakout. But I dont think we need him. Avant has shown me nothing at all. He needs to be replaced with a threat.
  • Avant is a good team guy. A good special teams guy, and a good blocker. For some reason he and Foles are out of sync. Foles consistently over throws him, because he lacks speed. These two are not in the same page. They should be staying late and trying to develop some chemistry. If Foles were smart he would pull a McNabb and try to get some kind of off season workout plan together with his receivers. I know he's young and doesn't make much money, but he needs to develop better chemistry with the receivers.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

MLB players likely to be traded by July 31st

10 best WWE matches of 2014 so far

Breaking down NFL MVP odds

The best GMs in the NFL today

Best 40 and under college football coaches

Most underpaid players in the NBA

Trade needs for each MLB contender

Who is the #1 fantasy football pick?

Most exciting walkoffs of the week

Way-too-early 2014 bowl projections

NBA free agency and trade tracker

The longest homers of the week

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.