December 03, 2012

YOU ARE THE WEAKEST LINK. GOODBYE!

CAN someone please tell me why Jim Wasburn was fired NOW! I totally agree with canning him, but I don't get why it had to be now, if there's going to be this massive purge come season's end anyway.

What is with the sllllllllloooooowwwww shedding of players and coaches? Some may speculate that it's just Andy Reid trying to save his job. But his firing should be a moot point if Jeff Lurie was truly in a "Playoffs OR Bust" frame of mind. Unless Lurie decided that the injury situation earned Reid a sort of pass, or that Reid is the guy to develop Nick Foles; I don't see the point of Reid attempting to go in a new direction whilst sitting at 3-9 and with the sword of Damocles hanging over his head.

27 Comments:
  • I think I read somewhere that he ran his mouth last week complaining about Babin being released. So now he has the chance to join Babin at the Jag's.
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • But such a move indicates that Reid can STILL save his job, even after being 3-9.

Lurie has been VERY quiet about all of this. It makes me wonder what he's been saying to Reid about 2013.
  • With Juan Castillo and Jim Washburn fired, Todd Bowles and the rest of the defense should start winning games the rest of this year. LOL!
  • Now with that Wide 9 BS gone, we may start to get a real idea of what the DT's and OLB's can do. If the Safeties keep blowing coverages over the middle, the pass rush will still be anemic, but vs. the run we may get to see RB's get stacked up in the backfield and tackled for losses more.
  • I think it is the moves of a desperate man but I'm hoping it is too little too late. You bring up a good point about wondering why Reid would keep making these moves this late unless hearing something form Lurie but I'm still going to hold onto hope that Lurie keeps his word. A 15 minute speech heading into "I'm keeping Andy Reid as head coach for another year" will become that media circus for the off season plus that Lurie said he wanted to avoid during the regular season this year. It makes more sense for everyone to get a fresh start...including Reid.
  • The guy is still a brilliant Offensive mind, and we have a ton of weapons and depth that would start on other teams. The Offensive Line thing CAN'T happen two years in a row. I said MORTAL LOCK barring the injury bug biting too hard. I don't think there can be any argument that we got mauled by the injury BEAR instead.

If we kept Reid and got a legit DC, this would be a 10 win team again. Look at the NFC East. It's not like it would be hard to hijack next year.
  • Reid has made too many mistakes lately and hiring Washburn was one of his biggest. It seems to have led to him having to settle for Castillo which many of us said would be his downfall and it looks like that could be at the end of this year. Most of us quesioned forcing a line coach on your potential defensive coordinator and from the sounds of it it hindered the Eagles search to replace McDermott. Vick was another mistake and could cost the Eagles for years although none of the 3 "studs" they had at QB in 2009 would probably be winning divisions right now anyway.
  • It's debatable Reid is a brilliant offensive mind, and either way that doesn't make him a great head coach. Great coaches don't have back to back down seasons and go without a playoff win for four seasons.

Reid was too stubborn to adapt and now the game has passed him by.
  • I have to disagree that great coaches don't have back-to-back down years and go without a playoff win for four years in a row.

MARV LEVY had 2 back to back down years of no playoffs in 1986 & 1987

JIMMY JOHNSON did too in 1989 & 1990

BILL COWHER had 3 1998-2000

CHUCK NOLL had 4 straight years of no playoff games 1985-88 and another string of 4 where he missed twice and lost in the 1st round twice 1980-83.

DON SHULA went 8 years between playoff wins 1974-81, and then had another string of 4 back-to-back down years where he didn't go at all 1986-89.

TOM LANDRY It was 6 years before he ever went to a playoff game with the Cowboys and then 2 more year before he could win one.

These are all recognized as great coaches.

I just don't see the point in bailing on a guy this fast, when history itself says that even the giants of this sport can hit a rough patch here and there.
  • 14 years without a championship isn't exactly bailing on Reid fast, flip...and yes I know that it took Cowher that long and Landry about a dozen years to win their championships. Time to move on in my opinion.
  • I was responding to Brinkster in regards to the back-to-back down year comment.
  • The Weakest link is the head coach. He's the one who hired all these people he's firing now. Had he never hired Washburn in the first place he never would have made Juan the DC just so he can hire Mudd. So many changes and so little off-season. So long Reid.
  • If they keep Reid, then I will cease to be an Eagles fan. I've had it. Keeping Reid around despite this nuclear meltdown of a season would be the straw that broke the camel's back for me.
  • Reid wouldn't be firing coaches and making a change at quarterback if he didn't believe he was staying here.
  • I swear Reid is like herpes. No matter what happens, there's no getting rid of him.
  • No Reid is gone and he can thank Coach Killer Vick for it.
  • If anything Vick bought Reid a couple more years with how he played in 2010.
  • Now that same guy has killed any chance for Reid's return.
  • Woah!!! Hey come on now!!
  • It seems to me like Howie and Lurie are distancing themselves from Andy. I think he's good as gone.
  • I'll be stunned if he isn't Eazy but I don't get why Reid would bother with some of these moves NOW. I mean they needed to be done...some of them shouldn't have been brought in anyway...hopefully it's just Reid feeling that he is righting some wrongs.
Eagles News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Breaking down the NL MVP race

10 young NFL stars having Hall of Fame careers already

MLB trade deadline tracker and analysis

Best, worst in-season trades for each team

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

10 players who will make their first Pro Bowl in 2014

Gallery: The best of July

Most pathetic NFL teams of modern era

NFL players already out for the season

Worst players to get HoF votes since 2004

Gallery: The best of Anastasia Ashley

College football's celebrity fans

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.