February 15, 2013

You're Howie Roseman And Andy Reid Is Calling.

There was a report out that had the Chiefs very interested in acquiring Nick Foles from the Philadlephia Eagles. Before I go any further I will highlight the basics. Officially: - The Chiefs have not offered any type of deal for Nick Foles. - The Chiefs have not confirmed any reported interest in Nick Foles. - The Eagles have not stated they are willing to trade Nick Foles. - No one has made an offer to the Eagles for the services of Nick Foles. Unofficial: - Andy Reid and Doug Pederson are very impressed with the young slinger. - A 4-12 roster doesn't have many players one would consider untouchable. - Nick Foles doesn't fit the Eagles planned scheme. Now I know for some of you the idea of playing GM is a difficult concept unless you are drafting Safeties far too early in the first round, but for the rest of you I will lay out a few scenarios and I wonder which would you choose as the best option if you were In Howie Roseman's shoes. Andy Reid and the Chief give a ring about a week before the combine asking about the availability of Nick Foles. He offers you a few scenarios of what they would be willing to give in order to take him off your hands. Here are your options. 1) After a little haggling back and forth the Chiefs are willing to give a 3rd round pick for Foles. 2) The Chiefs are willing to give up their 2nd if the Eagles are willing to give up Foles and their 5 th. 3) the Chiefs are willing to give up their number one pick for Foles, the Eagles current umber 1, 4th and a 4th in 2014 4) The Chiefs are willing to give a 4th this season with a conditional draft pick the next season. Depending on how well Foles plays the pick will be no lower than a 4th, but could be elevated to a first depending on certain performance based conditions met by Nick Foles and the Chiefs. Of course your final option could be to just keep Foles. What would you do in Howie Roseman's shoes?

42 Comments:
  • I'd do scenario #2 if I had that option (Chiefs 2nd round pick and give them our 5th and QB Foles) especially since the Raiders don't currently have a 2nd round pick. This would give the Eagles back to back selections at the top of the 2nd round (34th and 35th overall).

The draft is DEEP at DL/OL, so this would allow us to go heavy on either side of the ball. Or take the highest rated "need" player while taking the best player available regardless of position. We could also leverage one of the 2nd round picks to move back into the 1st round if there is another player we REALLY like.

I don't think the Eagles will trade Foles b/c they haven't stated what type of offense they will run. But if the offer is too good to pass up, you have to pull the trigger on the trade.
  • 20 and Latin thanks for the replies. I like your choices. Both make sense and the two second round picks can really help improve the roster or could be leveraged to move up in the draft. Nice work guys.
  • Absolutely agree with both Latin and 20 dawk. Depending on how the picks fall before the Eagles with this scenario, the Eagles could possibly get their nose tackle and two players to fix that hurting secondary. They could also get an offensive tackle, a quarterback early in the 2nd if one is still on the board that Kelly likes and still address the secondary with one of the picks. They could also choose to listen to trade offers for that 1st pick in the 2nd round right up to the start of the draft on day 2. Could get them a pick a few spots back and another decent pick (another 3rd perhaps?). Talk is that teams get hungry taking that break and looking at what the draft has to offer at the top of the 2nd round.

I like what the Eagles are saying if the rumors are true. If Reid has interest in Foles, he needs to be the aggressive one but if Kelly doesn't believe that Foles fits his system I hope they do trade him so they can help this team improve come draft day. If Foles is traded then the Eagles know going into the draft they will almost definitely need to fill that position with a young QB if one that they like is there on day 2. Manuel and Nassib (if they slide that far) could be two of the choices. Reports were that the Eagles talked to both during the Senior Bowl and Kelly wanted Manuel in Oregon.
  • For the record I will state these are not real trade options. They are just stuff I made up, but I tried to make trades that felt suitable for both teams. Time will tell if the Eagles really want to trade Foles. It's a slippery slope. I think the Chiefs must be the aggressor, but the Eagles can't be too picky especially if Foles isn't their ideal option. If the plan has been to trade Foles all along they were smart to call the Vick returning an open competition.
  • I agree, Eazy and I knew these weren't real trade options and were total speculation. I saw a blog that suggested that the Eagles may have put that rumor out to get interest built up in Foles. It certainly is possible.
  • I just read they want a first for him. Crazy!
  • [not displayed: comment from locked account]
  • I have to agree with Dawk here. I like Joekel or Louttelli with the first. They seem like consensus picks. After that I wouldnt mind a trade down and get Mante Teo. He comes with baggage but he could anchor that LB corp for years. I wont commit to Geno until the combine. He showed solid ability in the pocket but not sure he can make the the throws on the deep outs. he may be a mid to late #1.
  • I like option number 2. It's low risk and we can really improve our defense with two early 2nd round picks.
  • I think Eazy gave us choices he'd prefer we didn't deviate from. Looks like everyone but the "genius" figured that out.
  • You can't fix stupid green. Besides does that idiot actually think the Jets are going to give up Revis for an unproven Foles? Heck then lets go and get Tom Brady for Foles or Flacco for Foles. Lol it must have been Opposite Day when Eugenie decided to pick his fake ID name.
  • I didn't rip on him for his version of what the trade should be because it was all speculation and hypotheticals by you also but I was thinking the same thing. The Jets would certainly want more than Foles for Revis. Genius does seem to be one of those opposite nicknames, Eazy. That's the only thing I can come up with...kind of like how Howard Eskin used to call some of the the callers on WIP genius.
  • So to recap this guy thinks Revis can be had for Foles, and Dennis Dixion can win us a Super Bowl. Is this the kind of people the flipster thinks this site needs?
  • Don't forget that the Eagles will surprise everyone (including the players) with their gameplan and how Foles should just leave. The man is a "genius". LOL.

I'm sure he isn't the type that flip wants on this site especially since all he seems to do is insult without any feedback that's worth too much discussion.
  • Flip needs to come back around and tell the guy why we need him here. Leaving him to us "cretins" will have him crying and gone in no time. Then again I think things around here would improve if both of them just left.
  • Eugenie want to impress Mr. Mortal Lock about such as we want to impress you. Of course it doesn't take much to impress village idiots.
  • WTF? I'm hardly on here these few days, I check in and WHAM! I see a section dedicated to discussing what I want. Well ain't I special?

Since we're on the subject, why don't I chime in.

I want some new voices here that actually have something to say. I want some old voices to set the example of how we should conduct ourselves. I want the Yard to not spiral into the toilet like it has in the past.

EZ made a statement that if I and Eugenious were to BOTH leave, things here would improve.

I very much doubt that be that much better if I walked. Here's why:

I personally represent 20-25% of meaningful content on this page. Take me away and you're left with EZ and Kellyscott with the occasional chip in from Latinferno.

Even if you don't agree with my conclusions, I back them with research and facts. Just look at the offerings left since my last post 4 days ago. Go ahead. I'll wait for you to get back.

See? Lot of garbage isn't there?

I hardly see where less ME gets you a better HERE, especially since nobody wants to write anything besides complaints about how nobody writes anything. (Talking directly to you Eugene!)

But I could be wrong. So show me. I'll even keep hanging back. I didn't intend to (I was about to put up a post about Kelly's big Wang), but for the sake of "improving the Yard", what the hey!
  • I thought about this and I then it hit me. No dealings with Andy Reid. We need to cut ties completely. I dont care what he does at all. Andy is sitting on a potential powder keg with the steroids and his son. We need to jettison that phat pod and never look back. You seee if Andy goes down he will drag everyone with him. His ego wont allow him to take the blame.
  • Okay so you have decided to keep Foles.
  • i guess I shouldnt blame Foles for the ridiculous position management put him in. He is in my estimation a solid #3 and a potential #2. And to me thats a success in the NFL. But to alot of posters if your not a starter you arent valuable. Maybe Vick ends up a backup who knows but he would qualify now as a #2 at a minimum.
  • That solid #3 and potential #2 was as successful as Vick with less firepower while putting up roughly 3 points a game more. Don't you get that is why Foles vs. Vick is even a question right now? Not because people felt Foles was so spectacular because he wasn't but he wasn't bad for a ROOKIE. Michael Vick is no rookie...he's a 33 year old oft injured turnover machine and many of us don't see that changing in any scheme let alone one that will have the quarterback taking hits instead of one that is supposed to protect him from contact. Mike Vick will almost certainly finish this season as a backup or hurt and you again will finish the season questioning the coach...it's just a matter of time.
  • The coach wont be the target this time around. Lurie is on chopping block.
  • You take the best offer that you get even if that offer is from Kansas City! How many fans (including you) stated that trading McNabb to the Redskins would come back to haunt them?
  • Mcnabb should have had 2 superbowl rings while in Philly. As a matter o fact a big raven fan friend said to me today how did Flacco get one and Mcnabb didnt. And hes right. So we had a couple of QBs that with the right management would have succeeded. But back to your question. It probably wouldnt "haunt" them but I think we need a clean break from phat phuck. The fact is he left this organization a utter mess. It would be best to never hear his name again.
  • Mike Vick will be traded---bills or chiefs,foles in the mix as well,eagles are going after alex smith---if they can pay vick 7 million,they will go after ball controll qb--not a fumble machine and can not read defense fast..--watch people.
  • Although I'm not thrilled at all with the Vick move it works in one way. It gives Kelly an option to look at his quarterbacks that are already here fairly cheaply without committing to the wrong guy. Alex Smith won't come cheaply, took years to show he belonged in San Francisco, could have to be the guy here making too many plays for him to successful in a new system. Another reason I doubt this happens is because I don't feel there is a big enough market for Vick right now. What could the Eagles possibly get for Mike Vick...MAYBE a 5th to a 7th round pick? Why keep him around for that?...why guarantee 3.5 million for a low pick? Unfortunately, I think Vick is here to stay one more year.
  • I don't think Vick will be here to stay if his 2013 season starts anything like his 2012 season. I believe Chip Kelly is smarter than that.
  • as sonny and cher sing " and the beat goes on" and on and on and on
  • comment below viewing threshold

show comment

• Thanks for the kind words. Take care and one question. Who are those people in your photo?

The longest homers of the week

Ranking the best NFL free agents still available

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

Honest NBA playoffs slogans

Gallery: The best of Barbie Blank

Breakout candidates for the NHL playoffs

Draft needs for all 32 NFL teams

Seven kids on every youth sports team

Behind the scenes with Paulina Gretzky

100 best players of the MLB expansion era

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

Five-round NFL mock draft

Most sacred places in NFL history

10 greatest sports Bubbas of all-time

Hockey fights of the week

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.