September 23, 2013

Will the Bucs fire Greg Schiano?

The Bucs have lost 8 of their last 9 regular season games. That's a bad trend. The team has talent and arguably should have won their first two contests of 2013 season, but Vincent Jackson is hurt, the organization seemingly lacks faith in Josh Freeman and Schiano's act may be wearing thin with the team as a whole. I don't see him as a candidate to lose his job mid-season, but it's hard to see Tampa Bay sticking with a coach that looks to have alienated the most important player on the team, their 'franchise' quarterback. My guess is that Schiano is let go at the end of the season and returns to the college game the following year.

What do you think? Think Schiano makes it to year 3 as head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers?

17 Comments:
  • I think he stays but they still don't have a quarterback.
  • He should get fired Tony...I have felt he is a moron ever since he had his D Line bullrush Eli in a game the Giants had won and were taking a knee. He's been rumored to be talked about for the Texas Longhorns job but I think he's a loser personally.
  • Yeah, tough to say. He just benched Freeman for Glennon. That either works...or it doesn't. If it works and the Bucs rip off a few wins, things return to normal. Even if they don't make the playoffs he'll have the team trending in the right direction. If Glennon faceplants and the team loses a few more...man, it's going to be tough to retain that dude after the team had playoff hopes. Owners like to see progress. It's ok to miss the playoffs in year two. It's not ok to have the team faceplant.

So, maybe the question is this. Is Mike Glennon any good? Is he an upgrade on Freeman and if so, is he good enough to actually orchestrate some wins?
  • The Bucs do have some talent on both sides. Vincent Jackson and Michael Williams are two very good receivers. I don't know when their tight ends are coming back but they can do some damage when healthy. They have two of the best safeties in the league and very good linebackers. They lost their first two games by a total of three points so they easily could be 2-1. I said it with the Eagles. They have the talent but the coach is what is bringing them down.
  • Hey Tony, I gotta apologize...I meant to click 'I Like This' and accidently clicked 'Flag' instead on your comment that started this thread. OOPS!!
  • Tony's right. They definitely have some talent. But does that make it better or worse that they're 0-3? Guess that's up to Tampa's management to decide.
  • Good point.
  • At halftime of last night's game, Mike Silver said that Freeman had already lost the locker room and that players thought Glennon was a better leader. If that's the case, it doesn't really matter is ready or not. Have to give him a try. Can't win in the NFL if the players don't believe in the QB.
  • Very true P.G. I have a story for you. Three years ago I was in the Tampa area in August. It was brutally hot and the Bucs were playing a pre-season game at Raymond James. I went to the game because I love going to different stadiums. I have been to five in my life and would like to see them all before I die. I sat at the end of the stadium where the cannon is in the first half. It was deafening. I hated it. I moved to the other end for the second half but it was still deafening and my head was pounding. I think my buddy said it goes off when they get in the red zone and when they score. Have you ever been there and what do you think of it? I can't imagine older men and women enjoying it but maybe they do. What's your opinion?
  • Let's see how he does with the remainder of the season. If he continues his downward slide I say he returns to the college game like Chip Kelly in Philadelphia.
  • Yeah, not crazy about the cannons either Tonyrules, but I'm not a Bucs fan first so probably not up to me to decide whether they should stay or go. If the fans love the cannons, then I'm all for it. Interesting question though. I wonder if Bucs fans like or hate them.

That's also a good question eaglepride13. Would you rather have 19 losing seasons and 1 Super Bowl win in the last 20 years or a bunch of playoff appearances and no Super Bowls?

I guess it could be worse. We could Lions or Jaguars fans...no super bowls or and lots of rough seasons.

Ranking the best NFL free agents still available

Updated NBA Draft early entries list

Honest NBA playoffs slogans

Gallery: The best of Barbie Blank

Breakout candidates for the NHL playoffs

Draft needs for all 32 NFL teams

Seven kids on every youth sports team

Behind the scenes with Paulina Gretzky

100 best players of the MLB expansion era

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

Five-round NFL mock draft

Most sacred places in NFL history

10 greatest sports Bubbas of all-time

Hockey fights of the week

Reasons to stop playing recreational sports immediately

BARKER BEAUTIES
WANT MORE?
FOLLOW YARDBARKER:
Youtube_32 Twitter_32 Facebook_32 Rss_32 Email_32
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.