February 20, 2012

NFL Offseason Preview -- Washington Redskins

Washington Redskins 2011 Record:  5-11 PPG For:  18.0 (26th) PPG Against:  22.9 (21st) 2012 Cap Number:  $94,351,284 Draft Position:  #6 Overall Pick On the plus side, the Redskins won about five more games than I thought they would. On the negative side, the Redskins won about five more games than their talent level says they should have. Honestly, they’d be much better off if they had simply lost all their games. Tell me, ‘Skins fans; is there any solace in beating the Giants twice? Any good feelings from being the “under-talented, but feisty” team? Any? If there is, then you should be ashamed of yourself. The problem isn’t that Washington has no options – they certainly have plenty of those, what with Peyton Manning, Matt Flynn, and Robert Griffin all being on their radar – it’s the fact that they HAVE options that is problematic! Tell me, when was the last time you remember Dan Snyder making a good choice? Has he ever? Landing the top pick would have taken any decision making out of the process, and would have eliminated the “Snyder Factor” from the equation. Now, I’d place the odds of disaster at approximately 75%. This offseason, as with many offseasons prior, is yet another fork in the road for the Redskins. They have tons of cap room, a high draft pick, a “go for it” attitude, and tons of holes to fill. And if you feel like you’re watching a repeat, you probably are. If Snyder and Co. makes the right choice at QB, then the franchise could finally take its first true step towards building a winner. Then again, if they make the wrong choice (again) while blowing a ton of cap room, it will once again set them back at least two or three more years. Dan Snyder being Dan Snyder, I’m betting on the latter.

Redskins News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

WATCH: Pacquiao's tribute to NFL

Raiders name Derek Carr starter

Four Phillies no-hit the Braves

CFL team has reached out to Sam

Switch pitcher could see action in MLB

Power ranking every NFL stadium

Astros fire manager Bo Porter

Who is up next for Ronda Rousey?

Gronk: 'I'm ready to go' for Week 1

Verlander, Upton nude photos hacked

Blue Jays give Jeter unique farewell gift

Photos: D-Wade and Gabby tie the knot

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.