July 22, 2012

What Rondo's Presence in Vegas Means

Rondo showed up in Vegas and hung out with the players on the Celtics' Summer League entry there. He joined in the huddles and sat behind the bench and cracked jokes with the coaches. He even added some input on the plays in the huddles.

Rajon Rondo here again. He's been pulling individual Celts aside to give advice during some timeouts. — Steve Bulpett (@SteveBHoop) July 22, 2012

Here is Coach Tyronn Lue's take on Rondo's presence on the bench:

"It was good for Rondo to come in and support the young guys. Guys have been playing hard, playing great, for him to come around & encourage guys, speaking up at halftime & time outs, it’s good for them.”

And here is Dionte Christmas' take on Rondo's presence and input:

"Getting to meet Rondo the last few days was cool. I learned a lot just listening to him talk. He’s really a coach on and off the court. He’s just sitting there coaching me and telling me things to do and where to put guys on the floor and how to tell guys where to go. Even though me and Rondo are probably around the same age, he’s very experienced in this game and he’s one of the best defensive point guards in the NBA. It’s great to get things from him and for him to come and show support and take the time to sit down with me and the guys, it was great."

Rondo's presence in Vegas shows that the Celtics are clearly his team now. He is taking ownership and showing leadership in meeting the young guys and teaching them. He saw potential in Dionte Christmas and took it on himself to give pointers and help him improve. Rondo showed by not just attending the games, but taking a hands on approach that the Celtics' success means something to him and he is going to do what it takes to make the team successful. In his interview in Paris, he had this to say:

I did not choose to be a leader or not. I must be one for my team. Every day, I get up telling myself I want to be better. I worked hard to get to this point and I continue to work hard. As I said earlier, I have matured a lot and my game has also. I think I am one of the best playmakers in the League. I think I'm the best point guard in the League

Rondo is not just the point guard on the Celtics, he is the leader. He was the only one of the core players to make an appearance in Vegas and his presence there, and his work with the players,  showed that he has indeed matured and that he has taken the mantle of leadership on the team.  It's Rondo's team now, and I think it's in very good hands.

1 Comment:
  • Anyone who has ever questioned Rondo's commitment to the team should read this. He has become the leader Boston needs. Really looking forward to this season and what Rondo will bring in his bag of tricks.
Celtics News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Breaking down the NL MVP race

10 young NFL stars having Hall of Fame careers already

MLB trade deadline tracker and analysis

Best, worst in-season trades for each team

Best and worst of Monday Night Raw

10 players who will make their first Pro Bowl in 2014

Gallery: The best of July

Most pathetic NFL teams of modern era

NFL players already out for the season

Worst players to get HoF votes since 2004

Gallery: The best of Anastasia Ashley

College football's celebrity fans

BARKER BEAUTIES
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.