Posted November 14, 2013 on
AP on Fox
Three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti says doctors have told him he can no longer race because of injuries sustained in an IndyCar crash last month.
Franchitti fractured his spine, broke his right ankle and suffered a concussion in the Oct. 6 crash at Houston. The crash occurred on the last lap when his car made contact with another car and went sailing into a fence.
The 40-year-old underwent two surgeries on his ankle and recently returned home to Scotland to recover.
The four-time IndyCar champion has been the face of the series since he returned in 2009 following a brief stint in NASCAR. He won three consecutive titles from 2009 to 2011. His 31 victories are tied for eighth on the all-time list.
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
In the wake of injuries suffered at the Grand Prix of Houston, Dario Franchitti will end his professional motorsports career. “Since my racing accident in Houston, I have been in the expert care of some of the leading doctors and nurses, all of whom have made my health, my safety and my recovery their top priority. I am eternally grateful for the medical care I have received...
Indianapolis, IN- It was a sad day Thursday afternoon in the world of IndyCar as driver Dario Franchitti announced he would not return to the series in 2014 and would retire effective immediately.
The injuries he suffered in the last lap crash at Houston on October 6th were far too severe to continue racing. Doctors did not clear the three-time Indy 500 champ to return and he was...
Following a horrific October crash, Dario Franchitti was forced to announce his retirement from IndyCar racing.
Sam Hornish Jr. crossed off every goal in IndyCar before leaving the series for NASCAR.
With three championships and an Indianapolis 500 victory, Hornish felt there was nothing left to achieve.
Now, with one of the best seats in the series suddenly open, Hornish hasn't changed his mind.
He said Friday he has no interest in returning to IndyCar to replace Dario Franchitti at...
Dario Franchitti kept racing after the death of best friend Greg Moore. He continued on following the death of former teammate Dan Wheldon. He was eager to drive into his early 40s.
He won't get the chance.
The three-time Indianapolis 500 winner and four-time IndyCar Series champion reluctantly and abruptly retired Thursday, saying doctors told him it would be too dangerous...
Indianapolis, IN- Shocking news came out of the IndyCar Series Thursday afternoon when three-time Indianapolis 500 champion Dario Franchitti announced his retirement from the sport.
The Scotsman cited that his injuries suffered in a last lap crash at Houston on October 6th were the reasons he couldn’t continue on.
“One month removed from the crash and based upon the expert advice...
When Dario Franchitti made a rare phone call from Scotland to his boss, Chip Ganassi knew immediately something was off with the driver.
He could hear the heartbreak in Franchitti's voice and quickly asked him what was wrong.
Franchitti delivered the difficult news: Doctors had told him it was too dangerous to continue racing because of injuries sustained in a crash last month...
Three-time Indianapolis 500 Winner and four-time IndyCar Series Champion Dario Franchitti will be unable to continue his auto racing career following his recent crash in Houston. The IndyCar Series legend ends his career with 31 wins (tied for eighth on the all-time list) and 33 poles (sixth on the all-time list).
Franchitti issued this statement today:
“Since my racing accident...
The announcement of Dario Franchitti’s retirement has sent shock waves across the IndyCar sphere. Drivers, fans and members of the media have all delivered an outpouring of support and memories of the Flying Scot.
For me, Franchitti was someone I respected as a fan as well as a journalist. In fact, he won the first IndyCar race I attended at Nashville Superspeedway in 2005. Watching...