Found November 14, 2013 on RedSoxLife:
PLAYERS: Mike Napoli
TEAMS: Boston Red Sox
Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports Eric D. Schabell Contributing Writer The fat lady has sung, it's over. Wipe your tears. Blow you nose. Move on. Mike Napoli is already gone Red Sox Nation, so take a moment to gather your thoughts and accept the fact that we will not be seeing him back on the field in 2014 as a Red Sox. The evidence is overwhelming. 3 Reasons There have been facts presented that the Red Sox want to have Mike Napoli back, but that he has rejected his qualifying offer to test the free agent market. Others have dug up the story that refuted rumors that Mike Napoli has received a multi-year offer from the Red Sox, something he is pushing for. He wants more than the Red Sox are going to give him. With the worries about his hip conditions eliminated during his season exit physical there seems no reason for him to not be courted by other teams for a multi-year deal. Evidence abounds that other teams have interest, even on the other coast. After winning it all, ...
THE BACKYARD
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
RELATED ARTICLES

Red Sox Did Not Offer Napoli Multi-Year Deal

Last week there were reports that while Mike Napoli was expected to turn down the Red Sox' qualifying offer (he did), the team already also extended him a multi-year deal. The details on that deal were fuzzy, if not non-existent however, and Boston.com is now reporting that the Red Sox have not actually made Napoli another offer other than the one-year qualifying one. ...

Red Sox Did Not Offer Napoli A Multi-Year Deal

Contrary to multiple earlier reports, the Red Sox did not offer free-agent Mike Napoli a multi-year pact. In fact, they only offered the $14.1 million qualifying offer. While the team wants the first-baseman back, they have severe competition from multiple teams. Just in their own division, Napoli is being lusted after by the Evil Ones, the Blue Jays and the Orioles.

Sox want Napoli but does Napoli want the Sox?

Ryan MacLeod (ryanmacleod15) Contributing Writer As expected Mike Napoli rejected the Boston Red Sox qualifying offer and decided to test the free agency waters, but this has not deterred the Red Sox front office from trying to get Napoli to return to Boston for next season. Napoli was a consistent first baseman for the Red Sox this season. He hit .259 in the 139 games he played...

Mike Napoli, Agent Brian Grieper Had ‘Jerry Maguire Moment’ Following Red Sox’ World Series Victory

Mike Napoli played Cuba Gooding Jr. Brian Grieper played Tom Cruise. Maybe the profiles differ in some respects. But Napoli and his agent, Grieper, had a moment shortly after the Red Sox’ World Series win that was straight out of the movies. “I have a picture of him and I and his beard right after the World Series,” Grieper said on WEEI’s Hot Stove Show on Thursday. “We...

Report: Rangers Will Emerge as Red Sox’ Biggest Competitor for Free Agent Mike Napoli

The Texas Rangers reached the 2011 World Series with Mike Napoli as an important part of their lineup, and according to ESPN’s Buster Olney, the AL West club could become the Boston Red Sox’ biggest obstacle in re-signing him during the offseason. Some executives are convinced that Texas will emerge as Boston's greatest competition for Mike Napoli; his 1B play an eye-opener...

Rockies showing interest Mike Napoli and other first basemen

getty images The Colorado Rockies will be making a change at first base this season with the retirement of Todd Helton. Thus far the Rockies have reached out to Mike Napoli, Justin Morneau, and James Loney about playing first base. Napoli, 32, is the best bet for production among the group after compiling a .259/.360/.482 line with 23 home runs and 92 RBI in 139 games with the Boston...

Colorado Rockies targeting Mike Napoli

Ryan MacLeod (ryanmacleod15) Contributing Writer This past season the Colorado Rockies said goodbye to their long time first baseman, Todd Helton. This off season they are being vocal on who they want to take his place. The list is not long but includes Mike Napoli and James Loney, 2 former members of the Boston Red Sox. Napoli was a key figure in the Red Sox World Series championship...

Report: Rockies Have Expressed Interest in Mike Napoli During Search to Replace Todd Helton

The Rockies need a replacement for Todd Helton, who is retiring after 17 seasons as Colorado’s first baseman. It sounds like their search is in full swing. The Rockies have expressed interest in first basemen Mike Napoli and James Loney, according to The Denver Post. Colorado is reportedly considering a wide range of options in its effort to find Helton’s successor. Napoli and...

Mike Napoli hasn't received multi-year deal

Photo from Over the Monster Conor Frederick (@ConorJF1016) Contributing Writer Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe is reporting that Mike Napoli has not received a multi-year deal from the Red Sox as of yet. It was reported that they had in fact already offered a multi-year deal, but industry sources said that the Red Sox have only extended the $14.1 million qualifying offer as of...

Mike Napoli, James Loney free agent targets for Rockies

Replacing Todd Helton has the Rockies considering a wide range of options. They have expressed interest in free agents Mike Napoli and James Loney, according to a source with direct knowledge of their plans. Napoli, a key figure in the Red Sox’s World Series championship, turned down Boston’s $14.1-million qualifying offer this week. He originally agreed to a three-year, $39...

Rockies rumors: Colorado interested in Mike Napoli, James Loney, Justin Morneau and Ike Davis

Filling the hole vacated by the retiring Todd Helton is one of the major offseason questions for the Colorado Rockies. The team seems to be looking at a wide variety of options, with Troy Renck of the Denver Post reporting that the Rockies are interested in free agents Mike Napoli and James Loney, “according to a source with direct knowledge of their plans”. Justin Morneau...

Players turning down qualifying offers is nothing to complain about

Sam Galanis Contributing Writer There’s some negativity surrounding the Red Sox’s free agents that needs to be dispelled. I’ve seen comments around the internet writing off Jacoby Ellsbury, Mike Napoli, and Stephen Drew for rejecting their qualifying offers, calling them traitors. But that’s not how qualifying offers work. See, qualifying offers are a fairly new part of...

As expected, all three Red Sox players turn down qualifying offer

Most of us cannot imagine turning down $14.1 million for one year of work. We could retire from our jobs and — if we manage the money well — never have to work or worry about money again. How, then, does it not surprise me that Jacoby Ellsbury, Mike Napoli, and Stephen Drew turned down that qualifying offer? Even more, many fans expected them to do so. MLB.com’s Jason Mastrodonato...

The Latest on Napoli, Ellsbury, Drew and Saltalamacchia

Here are the latest updates on the Red Sox free agents: Mike Napoli, Jacoby Ellsbury, Stephen Drew and Jarod Saltalamacchia. -Stephen Drew, who rejected the Red Sox' qualifying offer, is not expected to return to Boston at this point. Agent Scott Boras maintains that he's getting strong interest from many teams willing to sign him to a multi-year deal and more than...
Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.