Found August 01, 2012 on
Buzz On Broad:
Final: Phillies 3, Nationals 2.
WP: Vance Worley (6-6, 3.63 ERA) LP: Edwin Jackson (6-7, 3.57 ERA) SV: Jonathan Papelbon (23)
Newly acquired Nate Schierholtz and Josh Lindblom put on the red pinstripes for the first time Wednesday evening in the second game of the three-game series down in Washington.
Schierholtz went 2-5 with 1 RBI. His home run in the 5th inning was the eventual go-ahead and game-winning run. Lindblom made an appearance in the eighth inning, facing two batters- one of whom struck out.
Jimmy Rollins was a key factor in tonight's victory, as he homered twice off of opposing starter Edwin Jackson. Tonight was his first multi-homer night since July 20, 2011. He has eight such games in total for his career.
All-Star Cole Hamels starts in the series finale Thursday evening against left-handed pitcher Ross Detwiler.
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Vance Worley: 7.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 3.63 ERA
- Edwin Jackson: 5.2 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 6 SO, 3 HR, 3.57 ERA
In the 'Pen:
- Michael Gonzalez (6th, 7th): 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO, 0 HR, 2.29 ERA
- Ryan Mattheus (8th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 3.13 ERA
- Antonio Bastardo (8th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 4.93 ERA
- Josh Lindblom (8th): 0.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 3.00 ERA
- Jeremy Horst (8th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 0.87 ERA
- Sean Burnett (9th): 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 2.02 ERA
- Jonathan Papelbon (9th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 3.14 ERA
- Bottom of the 1st (Phillies 0, Nationals 1): Adam LaRoche singles on a line drive to center fielder John Mayberry. Bryce Harper scores.
- Bottom of the 1st (Phillies 0, Nationals 2): Danny Espinosa grounds into a force out. Chad Tracy scores.
- Top of the 3rd (Phillies 1, Nationals 2): Jimmy Rollins homers (11) on a fly ball to right field.
- Top of the 5th (Phillies 2, Nationals 2): Jimmy Rollins homers (12) on a fly ball to right center field.
- Top of the 5th (Phillies 3, Nationals 2): Nate Schierholtz homers (6) on a fly ball to right field.
- Thursday, August 2, 2012; 7:05 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (47-57) at Washington Nationals (61-42)
- Cole Hamels (11-5, 3.31 ERA) vs. Ross Detwiler (5-4, 3.24 ERA)
- TV: CSN, MLBN
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.
BEST OF MAXIM
Nate Schierholtz had already voiced that he wasn't happy with the way that the Giants had treated him earlier this season and now that he is in Philadelphia he has a few more thoughts to share on his time with the Giants.
He said this to Matt Gelb of the The Philadelphia Inquirer:
"I just felt like I had a short leash. It was series by series, if I didn’t...
Nate Schierholtz wasn't a happy camper in San Francisco, but you have to believe that his mood is somewhat better now that he's a member of the Phillies. In his first game action, Schierholtz showed off a nice swing, including his first home run as a Phillie.
Nate Schierholtz hit two home runs against the Phillies on July 22. He will join the Phillies roster today after being acquired in the Hunter Pence trade yesterday. (Courtesy of SI.com)
If the Phillies were going to be sellers, then a lot of new faces were expected to come to Philadelphia. With five new faces coming in two trades, I've decided to put together an introduction...
The Philadelphia Phillies have added right-hander reliever Josh Lindblom and outfielder Nate Schierholtz to the roster after obtaining both players in trades on Tuesday.
Lindblom came from the Los Angeles Dodgers in the deal for Shane Victorino. Schierholtz was obtained from San Francisco along with catching prospect Tommy Joseph and right-hander Seth Rosin for Hunter Pence.
WASHINGTON -- Nate Schierholtz wanted to do something that would impress his new teammates in his first game with the Philadelphia Phillies. Mission accomplished. Schierholtz made his debut with his new team a memorable one, hitting the tiebreaking homer in the fifth inning that gave Philadelphia a 3-2 victory over the Washington Nationals on Wednesday night. Jimmy Rollins...
The Phillies may have traded two-thirds of their outfield yesterday after a dismal first-half of the season, resulting in a fire sale in the Phillie's front office, but they came right out of the gates last night and pounced on Stephen Strasburg to take game one of this three game set. After an 8-0 victory in game one, the Phils are looking to take the series away from the Nats...
Jimmy Rollins hit two solo home runs, Nate Schierholtz connected in his Philadelphia debut, and the Phillies received a sharp pitching performance from Vance Worley in a 3-2 victory over the Washington Nationals on Wednesday night.
After hitting the first pitch of the game to the warning track, Rollins homered in the third inning and again in the fifth. Both drives went into the...
The Philadelphia Phillies have optioned left-handed relief pitchers Joe Savery and Jake Diekman to the Lehigh Valley IronPigs make room for the newly acquired outfielder Nate Schierholtz and RHP Josh Lindblom.
Savery had a 5.40 ERA in 19 games for the Phillies this season (25.0 innings pitched). Jake Diekman threw slightly better, as he had a 4.64 ERA in 23 games for the Phillies...
With his performance tonight, Vance Worley gave the Phillies exactly what they needed. (AP)
Behind three solo home runs, including one from Nate Schierholtz, and a gutty pitching performance, the Phillies were able to grind out a 3-2 victory in Washington tonight. The win puts the Phils in position to sweep the first-place Nationals tomorrow with Cole Hamels on the mound. So far...
The Phils have earlier this afternoon announced that they have traded Shane Victorino to the Dodgers in exchange for relief pitch Josh Lindblom and one prospect, and Hunter Pence to the Giants for outfielder Nate Schierholtz and two prospects, before announcing that they had called up Dom Brown from Lehigh Valley.
Shane Victorino, who had been with the Phils since 2005, which would...
If it didn't sink in during last night's game, it definitely sunk in tonight: This is a new era of Phillies baseball in the outfield. Nate Schierholtz and Domonic Brown started tonight (Brown in LF) with John Mayberry, Jr. in center. As much as it hurts to say this, Shane and Hunter are an outfield duo of the past.
The Nationals beat up on Vance Worley in the first...
The newest additions to the Phillies after a few call-ups and trades are fitting in well with this team. In some ways, that is very good. In other ways, not so much.
Here are a few 2012 Phillies bad habits exhibited in last night’s game against the Nationals that they will need to get out of quickly:
- Kevin Fransden, a call-up, commited an error at 3rd base, becoming the 4th different...
After days of rumors and speculation, the Giants have finally acquired outfielder Hunter Pence. Heading to Philadelphia are Nate Schierholtz and a pair of prospects — Tommy Joseph and Seth Rosin. Hunter Pence, 29, is under team control through the end of 2013, but is set to make nearly $15M next season. More on this later…