Found July 10, 2013 on
Fox Sports South:
Mixed-league roto owners, looking for a waiver-wire pitcher before Wednesday's full slate of games?
Here's my free-agent choice (citing most 12-team leagues) for one day of fantasy stardom:
Rick Porcello (Tigers) vs. White Sox
1. Of his last 10 starts, Porcello has surrendered three or less runs seven times. In that span, he allowed zero or one run five times.
2. For the season, Porcello is a perfect 17 for 17 in yielding just two walks or less per outing.
3. Since May 27, the Tigers righty has notched six-plus strikeouts four times.
4. At his current pace, Porcello is a reasonable bet for double-digit wins and 140-plus strikeouts. Not bad for a No. 6 or 7 starter in fantasy circles.
5. At Comerica Park this season, Porcello has an elite-level KBB rate (3810).
6. In 2013, the enigmatic White Sox have scored five or more runs in back-to-back outings only four times.
The Next Five For Wednesday
1. Felix Doubront (Red Sox) @ Mariners Doubront (30-day track record: 2.64 ERA, 1.11 WHIP) would have been a good choice for the top spot ... if the Mariners weren't averaging six runs in their last nine games.
2. Jorge De La Rosa (Rockies) @ Padres Of his last nine starts, De La Rosa has allowed three or less runs eight times. So why the low ranking? He hasn't posted more than five strikeouts during that span.
3. Wade Davis (Royals) @ Yankees Of his last six outings, Davis has yielded just two or less runs five times. Plus, he's usually a healthy lock for six strikeouts.
4. Tyler Skaggs (Diamondbacks) vs. Dodgers The 21-year-old dynamo stymied the Rockies in his MLB reboot last week allowing zero runs and three hits (over eight innings).
5. Aaron Harang (Mariners) vs. Red Sox Harang has a superb 30-day track record with Seattle (2.45 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 223 K-BB). The only downside: Unless the Astros are involved, Harang likely won't tally more than four strikeouts.
Jay Clemons can be reached on Twitter, day or night, at @FOX_JayClemons.
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
Tigers right-hander Rick Porcello had his suspension for throwing at Tampa Bay's Ben Zobrist reduced to five games.
He'll begin serving it Thursday.
Porcello was initially suspended six games after hitting Zobrist on June 30. He pitched Wednesday night and said before Thursday's game against the Chicago White Sox he was ready to start serving the ban.
DETROIT -- Tigers starter Rick Porcello, who won his sixth game Wednesday night, dropped the appeal of his six-game suspension Thursday, as expected.
Major League Baseball originally suspended Porcello six games for hitting Tampa Bay's Ben Zobrist with a pitch in the first inning June 30.
Porcello, who said he thought the suspension might have...
DETROIT Jim Leyland doesnt get a whole lot of love from Detroit Tigers fans.
Hes maligned in the social media and on radio talk shows for continuing to use Phil Coke with the game still in doubt; having too many cronies on his coaching staff; playing Andy Dirks, Don Kelly, Ramon Santiago and Alex Avila too much; not playing Matt Tuiasosopo enough; letting Jose Valverde burn down...
YouTube The Tigers and White Sox got into a little dance party Thursday afternoon Tigers reliever Luke Putkonen threw a pitch behind White Sox shortstop Alexei Ramirez. Putkonen’s pitch was in retaliation to the Tigers believing that White Sox starter Chris Sale threw up and in to Prince Fielder following a Miguel Cabrera home run earlier in the game. All you need to about the...
Your browser does not support iframes. Jim Leyland was ejected after going pretty nuts on the umpires during a bench-clearing brawl between the Detroit Tigers and Chicago White Sox on Thursday at Comerica Park. The issues between the teams began in the bottom of the fifth when Sox pitcher Chris Sale threw at Prince Fielder [...]
The Detroit Tigers have placed second baseman Omar Infante on the 15-day DL with a left ankle sprain. The Tigers tweeted the news a few hours before their Tuesday night game against the Chicago White Sox.
The #Tigers have placed Omar Infante on the 15-day DL retro to 7/4 with a left ankle sprain.
— #BackBenoit (@tigers) July 9, 2013
Infante left last Wednesday's game...
I’ve been saying for the past three years that Justin Verlander is over-rated and that he isn’t even the best pitcher on his own staff—let alone the best pitcher in baseball like his most avid cheerleaders in the media have been contending.
If you’ll notice he always seems to have one or two “meltdown” innings (like the Rangers Derek Holland)—especially against tougher...
DETROIT -- Justin Verlander didn't have his best stuff Tuesday night, but for most of the game, he did a balancing act that would have made Nik Wallenda proud.
The ending, though, was something that no one wanted to see.
Verlander had struggled all night, allowing eight hits and a walk in the first seven innings, but most of the runners had come with two out and he had limited...
49-39, 1st place, 3.5 games up on Cle.
The Tigers head home for 6 against the White Sox and Rangers after a successful 7-4 road trip that ended with the club taking 3 of 4 from Cle. The White Sox are not good. We gotta win the series.
A few stars from last night’s game, other than VMart.
1) Brayan Pena. Pena made one of the smartest plays you’ll see all season. In case you missed...
Max Scherzer didn't care that his record stayed spotless. All that mattered to him was that Detroit's improved.
Scherzer remained unbeaten and Victor Martinez hit a two-run double in the 10th inning as the Tigers extended their lead in the AL Central with a 4-2 win over the second-place Cleveland Indians on Monday night.
Martinez doubled off Matt Albers (2-1) as the Tigers...
Detroit reliever Luke Putkonen threw a pitch behind Chicago's Alexei Ramirez, and both benches and bullpens emptied in the top of the sixth inning of Thursday's game between the Tigers and White Sox.
An inning after Chris Sale threw high and inside to Tigers star Prince Fielder, the trouble occurred. Ramirez started toward the mound after nearly being hit, pointing at Putkonen...
CLEVELAND (AP) -- Max Scherzer remained unbeaten and Victor Martinez hit a two-run double in the 10th inning as the Detroit Tigers extended their lead in the AL Central with a 4-2 win over the second-place Cleveland Indians on Monday night.
Martinez doubled off Matt Albers (2-1) as the Tigers won three of four in the series and moved 3 games ahead in the division.
Drew Smyly (4-0...
The L.A. Dodgers hit another multi-year high on Tuesday night. In other news, the Tigers earned their second-best rating of the season, and ESPN’s “Sunday Night Baseball” could not match last year’s Yankees/Red Sox affair. [...]
Chicago closer Kevin Gregg may be on the Detroit Tigers’ radar as the July 31 trade deadline approaches. But what about starter Matt Garza, who, like Gregg, will be a free agent after this season?
ESPN’s Jim Bowden, formerly the GM for the Reds and Nationals, suggests a package deal that sends Garza and Gregg to the Tigers for Avisail Garcia, Rick Porcello and 2012 second-round...