Found July 23, 2013 on
Clay Buchholz spoke to reporters Tuesday, the first time the Red Sox pitcher has done so since he visited Dr. James Andrew recently in Florida to seek a second opinion on his injured shoulder.
The gist of the discussion should sound familiar to Sox fans: There is currently no timetable set for the tall righthander's return to the rotation.
Buchholz last pitched for the Red Sox on June 12, against the Los Angeles Angels. Since then, Sox medical staffers have examined Buchholz and so has Andrews. Both have diagnosed him with an inflammation of the bursa sac (what the hell's a bursa sac, anyway?) in his shoulder.
Speaking to reporters at Fenway today, (via ESPNBoston's Gordon Edes) Buchholz said Andrews has told him to take it easy and not to push himself too much. He said he hopes to return to the starting rotation in time to make a few starts before the season is over and pitch in the playoffs.
It would be easy for us as armchair quarterbacks to be frustrated. I mean, Boston Bruins forward Patrice Bergeron played in the Stanley Cup playoffs with a collapsed lung, for pete's sake.
But, stop for a second. Take a deep breath. Exhale.
The Red Sox are doing well. Fill-ins like Brandon Workman have been performing admirably.
It would be crazy for Manager John Farrell or anyone in the Red Sox front office to rush Buchholz back. John Lackey's lost 2012 season should be enough proof that patience is the right move here.
Think about it. Would you rather have Buchholz in the rotation now and risk an injury while the Sox are battling for a playoff spot? Or would you rather have the pitcher with the patchy beard who went 9-0 on the season up until his injury solidly in the rotation for the battle for the playoffs?
Patience. Deep breaths.
BEST OF MAXIM
Conflicting comments, conflicting claims, conflicting time frames—those are the basic elements that make up The Great Clay Buchholz Conundrum of 2013. What the heck is the truth? On the one hand, it appears pretty evident that every medical expert from Dr. James Andrews to Doogie Howser, M.D. (who may actually be on the Red Sox medical staff) says Buchholz is physically OK. Except...
On Monday, Boston Red Sox' pitcher Clay Buchholz, who has been out since June 8, got encouraging news from Dr. James Andrews.
As reported by Ian Browne and Michael Periatt of MLB.com,
"There is nothing significantly wrong with Buchholz's right shoulder
or neck. The pain he feels when he tries to throw off the mound is
normal considering the time he has missed...
Clay Buchholz received positive news about the health of his shoulder when he visited Dr. James Andrews on Monday. But just how positive depends on who is interpreting the report.
Buchholz indicated on Tuesday that he doesn’t expect to be ready to pitch in a major league game until late August or early September.
“I definitely have a strain in there,” Buchholz said. “The...
Red Sox righthander Clay Buchholz was in Gulf Breeze, Fla., today to meet with Dr. James Andrews. The verdict? Dr. Andrews agrees with the Red Sox that Buchholz has only inflammation in the bursa sac of his shoulder and can pitch without fear of further injury.
“Clay comes back, I think, with a little bit more peace of mind and he’ll continue on the throwing program that’s...
After six weeks, the Clay Buchholz saga is only getting messier. And Gary Tanguay of Comcast Sportsnet’s Uno Sports Tonight suggested that maybe the Red Sox aren’t helping the situation much.
"I think they did make him look bad," Tanguay said in the broadcast. "Farrell says this is on him now, he's got to pitch through it....
It has been more than a month since Red Sox starter Clay Buchholz last pitched in a game. What started out as a sore neck because he slept funny has turned into a stint on the disabled list and seven weeks of never-ending updates.
Here's the latest: Nick Carfardo of the Boston Globe reports that Dr. James Andrews examined Buchholz in Florida and...
(Jim Rogash, Getty Images)Lost in all the hoopla over the Ryan Braun suspension and the dominant performance of Matt Moore was the fact that Clay Buchholz came away from his visit with Dr. James Andrews with a clean bill of health. The eminent arm expert agreed with the team's view that Buchholz is suffering from nothing more than inflammation in his collarbone area. Red Sox...
Well, you may see the Red Sox step up their pursuit for a starting pitcher. After visiting with Dr. James Andrews, it doesn't look like Clay Buchholz will be pitching too much this year.
Dr. James Andrews told Buchholz that he could make four or five starts before the start of the season, according to Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe.
If that timetable is right, who could...
Starting pitcher Clay Buchholz picked up a ball Wednesday and threw it. 90 feet.
Buchholz wasn't in a game mind you.
There was an ace on the mound, but for the 47th straight day it was not Clay Buchholz. That was Rays ace David Price tossing a complete game five hitter.
Tampa Bay now trails the Sox by a 1/2 game.
According to Red Sox manager...
Red Sox starter Clay Buchholz heard good news (again) regarding his neck and shoulder.
The righty, who traveled to Florida to see specialist Dr. James Andrews, has no structural damage in his neck or shoulder, manager John Farrell told the media prior to the Sox-Rays game.
After Red Sox doctors told the righty the same thing following an MRI, Buchholz wanted a second opinion...
(USATSI Photo)The Red Sox announced two major developments among their pitching corps: 1.) Andrew Bailey is done for the year, electing to have shoulder surgery on Wednesday; and 2.) Clay Buchholz will travel to Florida today to get a second opinion from renowned arm guru Dr. James Andrews. Bailey will be out at least 12 months—depending on the extent of his surgery and its anybody...
Taking over the tradition from Josh Beckett, Boston Red Sox SP Clay Buchholz hosted the Inaugural Buchholz Bowl on July 18, 2013.
Your browser does not support iframes.
Follow Ian on Twitter @soxanddawgs. And be sure to like us on Facebook as well.
Clay Buchholz only created the Clay Buchholz Foundation this past year, but he’s off to a great start with the foundation as his first event was a great success — thanks in large part to his supportive teammates.
The “Buchholz Bowl” raised money for Christopher’s Haven, and Ryan Dempster, Mike Napoli, John Lackey and Ryan Lavarnway were all in attendance at the charity...
IN FOR THE LONG HAUL
The Boston Red Sox and second baseman Dustin Pedroia reportedly have agreed to a seven-year extension worth around $100 million.
The Boston Red Sox plan to be active on the trade market as they battle for supremacy in the rugged American League East.
The Red Sox have been one of baseball's best teams all year, but their bullpen has been gutted by injuries, they face questions about the health of key players like All-Star starter Clay Buchholz and the Tampa Bay Rays seemingly never lose.
As a result,...