Final: Phillies 0, Astros 5.
WP: Dallas Keuchel (2-7, 4.97 ERA) LP: Kyle Kendrick (9-11, 3.95 ERA)
One could not come up with the best word to describe tonight's game. Some that come to mind may be disappointing, or even embarrasing. Regardless of the label, the loss tonight greatly decreased the team's chances of making the playoffs with just 16 games remaining in the 2012 regular season.
The Astros took an early 3-0 lead all the way into the bottom of the fifth inning, two runs coming from a Justin Maxwell home run in the first inning. Then, things got ugly. Brett Wallace hit a RBI ground-rule double from a ball that three Phillies fielders had a good chance of catching. An inning later, the Astros took a 5-0 lead on a J.D. Martinez RBI-single.
Kevin Frandsen committed the 499,998th error in major-league baseball history in the fifth inning. Fittingly enough, former New York Met and current Miami Marlin, Jose Reyes, committed the 500,000th all-time.
And that would be it offensively-wise between the two times. Philadephia had nothing to bring to the table, picking up just seven hits in total and leaving 23 men on base.
Roy Halladay starts in the series finale this afternoon.
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Kyle Kendrick: 5.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 4 SO, 1 HR, 3.95 ERA
- Dallas Keuchel: 5.1 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 4.97 ERA
- Josh Lindblom (6th, 7th): 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 3.39 ERA
- Jake Diekman (8th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 4.56 ERA
- Mickey Storey (6th): 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 2.92 ERA
- Xavier Cedeno (7th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 4.33 ERA
- Hector Ambriz (8th): 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 5.06 ERA
- Wesley Wright (9th): 1.o IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 3.26 ERA
- Bottom of the 1st (Phillies 0, Astros 2): Justin Maxwell homers (16) on a fly ball to left field. Jose Altuve scores.
- Bottom of the 2nd (Phillies 0, Astros 3): Jose Altuve ground into a force out. Jason Castro scores.
- Bottom of the 5th (Phillies 0, Astros 4): Brett Wallace hits a ground-rule double (10) on a fly ball. Dallas Keuchel scores.
- Bottom of the 6th (Phillies 0, Astros 5): J.D. Martinez singles on a line drive to left fielder Ty Wigginton. Jason Castro scores.
- Sunday, September 16, 2012; 2:05 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (73-73) vs. Houston Astros (47-99)
- Roy Halladay (10-7, 4.01 ERA) vs. Jordan Lyles (4-11, 5.33 ERA)
- TV: MyPHL17
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News||NBA News||NHL News|
Today's Best Stuff