Final: Phillies 3, Braves 0.
WP: Cole Hamels (12-6, 3.14 ERA) LP: Mike Minor (6-8, 4.95 ERA)
Cole Hamels has thrown a complete game shutout in the regular season for the first time since September 1, 2009. He allowed just five hits, and allowed zero walks while striking out six batters.
The only offense of the game came in the bottom half of the first inning for the Phillies offense. Jimmy Rollins led off the game with a double, and Domonic Brown followed with a double of his own, scoring the runner on second. Ryan Howard then homered, his fifth of the year, after Chase Utley flied out to center fielder Michael Bourn.
Kyle Kendrick (4-9) starts in the series finale Wednesday evening against Tim Hudson (11-4). The Phillies have off on Thursday before playing the St. Louis Cardinals in a three-game series to end the homestand.
Attendance: 42,660 (2nd consecutive non-sellout).
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Mike Minor: 7.0 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 5 SO, 1 HR, 4.95 ERA
- Cole Hamels: 9.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 SO, 0 HR, 3.14 ERA
In the 'Pen:
- Luis Avilan (8th): 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 2.92 ERA
- Cory Gearrin (8th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 1.17 ERA
- Bottom of the 1st (Braves 0, Phillies 1): Domonic Brown doubles (2) on a line drive to center fielder Michael Bourn. Jimmy Rollins scores.
- Bottom of the 1st (Braves 0, Phillies 3): Ryan Howard homers (5) on a fly ball to center field. Domonic Brown scores.
- Wednesday, August 8, 2012; 7:05 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (50-60) vs. Atlanta Braves (63-47)
- Kyle Kendrick (4-9, 4.45 ERA) vs. Tim Hudson (11-4, 3.45 ERA)
- TV: CSN
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.