Found January 17, 2013 on NESN.com:
The good news continues to roll in for Boston. After reports surfaced  this morning that the Red Sox had finally signed Mike Napoli, the team announced on Thursday that Jarrod Saltalamacchia has been signed to a one-year, non-guaranteed contract Last year, the 27-year old catcher hit .222 and set career highs with 25 home runs and 59 RBIs. Acquired from Texas in 2010, Saltalamacchia led the Red Sox in home runs this past season and had the fourth best slugging percentage (.454) among American League catchers for the 2012 season. The one-year deal is worth $4.5 million, according to WEEI.com, which is up from the  $2.5 million the backstop earned last season with the Sox.
THE BACKYARD
BEST OF MAXIM
RELATED ARTICLES

Napoli, Red Sox closer to agreement (but for real this time)

The latest from the story that won't die comes from Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, who says that the Sox and Mike Napoli have made progress to the point that something is expected to be finalized next week. But that doesn't mean it's done: Napoli is said to be talking to a couple other American League teams but the Red Sox are clearly heavily involved and may be the focus...

Report: Mike Napoli, Red Sox Agree On One-Year Deal

Mike Napoli and the Red Sox will finally touch pen to paper on a new contract soon, sources told ESPN Boston on Thursday. Napoli and the Sox have reportedly agreed on a one-year, $5 million contract with incentives that could reward Napoli with a $13 million payout in 2013. This news comes nearly two months after it was initially reported that the Red Sox had signed the free agent...

Red Sox, reliever Hanrahan agree on one-year deal

The Boston Red Sox avoided arbitration with new closer Joel Hanrahan after reaching agreement on a one-year deal worth $7.04 million. Hanrahan, who will be eligible for free agency after the 2013 season, came to the Red Sox last month in a trade with Pittsburgh. The Pirates paid him $4.1 million in 2012. Hanrahan posted 36 saves last season and 40 in 2011 with a combined a 2...

Report: Red Sox, Napoli discuss one-year deal

Mike Napoli's deal with the Boston Red Sox might be shrinking. The free agent catcher/first baseman and the team are closing in on a one-year contract, according to ESPNBoston.com. Napoli and the Red Sox agreed to terms on a three-year, $39 million deal last month at the winter meetings, but the contract was never signed, reportedly because the 31-year-old veteran failed his...

Will Middlebrooks to Welcome Children to “Red Sox Kid Nation Winterfest”

Here's a press release from the Boston Red Sox about "Red Sox Kid Nation Winterfest": BOSTON, MA – Third Baseman Will Middlebrooks will welcome children to a “Red Sox Kid Nation Winterfest” on Saturday, January 26, at Fenway Park.  The event, which takes place from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m, is free and open to fans of all ages. Middlebrooks is scheduled to...

Red Sox Have Made ‘Progress’ With Mike Napoli, Although Deal Not Yet Official (Video)

It seems very likely that Mike Napoli will be playing for the Red Sox in 2013. Speaking before the Red Sox Town Hall on Thursday, Ben Cherington would not confirm the reports that the Sox have agreed to a one-year deal with the veteran slugger, but he did seem very optimistic that something could be announced before long. Cherington acknowledged that the Red Sox have made progress...

Report: Vicente Padilla Agrees to One-Year Deal to Pitch in Japan

Vicente Padilla won’t be a part of the retooled Red Sox bullpen in 2013. MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez reports that the veteran right-hander has agreed to pitch in Japan this season. According to the report, Padilla has agreed to a one-year deal worth $3.25 million with the SoftBank Hawks. Source: Former Red Sox pitcher Vicente Padilla has agreed to a one-year deal for $3.25M with...

Report: Mike Napoli, Red Sox ‘Have Made Progress,’ Situation Could Be Resolved by Next Week

It’s been more than seven weeks since reports surfaced stating that Mike Napoli was Boston bound, but we might actually have a resolution relatively soon. According to CBSSports.com’s Jon Heyman, Napoli and the Red Sox have made progress and continue to try to work out an agreement after the original three-year, $39 million deal hit a snag. Multiple reports have indicated that...

Red Sox, Jacoby Ellsbury avoid arbitration with $9 million deal

The Red Sox and Jacoby Ellsbury have agreed to terms on a one-year contract, reports...Jacoby Ellsbury. Peter Abraham since tweeted that the deal was for $9 million. I find the number a little surprising. Ells got $8.05 million last year after his near-MVP performance in 2011. And sure, players don't often go backwards in arbitration, but it's surprising to see the number...

Report: Xander Bogaerts, Red Sox’ Top Prospect, Likely to Represent Team Netherlands in World Baseball Classic

Xander Bogaerts, the No. 1 prospect in the Red Sox organization, is starting to garner more and more recognition among the Boston fan base. It might not be long before he’s recognized on the global stage. According to ESPN.com’s Gordon Edes, Bogaerts, a native of Aruba, is likely to represent Team Netherlands in this year’s World Baseball Classic. Bogaerts, who was on the Netherlands...

The Red Sox Sign Jacoby Ellsbury To A One Year Deal

You can start breathing again Red Sox Nation. It's been reported that Jacoby Ellsbury and the Red Sox have agreed to a one-year 9 million dollar contract. Why is this so significant? The deal avoids a messy arbitration period and keeps Ellsbury in a Red Sox uniform for at least another year. The contract benefits both parties involved. The Red Sox increase Jacoby's salary...

Red Sox, Napoli Finalizing One Year Deal

After almost a month after originally agreeing to a three year deal, the Boston Red Sox and Mike Napoli have agreed to a restructured one year, $5 million deal, according to WEEI.  Napoli and the Red Sox initially agreed to a three year, $39 million deal in early December, but, after a physical, the Red Sox noticed some red flags on Napoli's nagging hip. After more than...

Ben Cherington ‘OK’ With Red Sox Playing in World Baseball Classic, But Admits There’s Sometimes Some Anxiety

While the World Baseball Classic might be exciting for fans, it can be a rather stressful time for members of major league front offices. Four members of the Red Sox — Shane Victorino (United States), Alfredo Aceves (Mexico), Xander Bogaerts (Netherlands) and Jose De La Torre (Puerto Rico) — are listed on the provisional rosters for this year’s WBC, which will be held in San...

Red Sox & Napoli making progress

The Boston Red Sox and free agent Mike Napoli initially had a three year contract in place, a deal that is pretty much voided now because of health concerns. Even so the player and team continue to talk and work towards a new deal. Jim Bowden of ESPN is reporting that the two teams are making significant progress towards a new, one-year deal. The Red Sox and Mike Napoli have nothing...

Daisuke Matsuzaka Talking With Mets

MetsBlog passes along that former Red Sox starter Daisuke Matsuzaka told Hochi Shimbun that he is now talking with the Mets, Indians and Marlins, though other teams have expressed interest in signing him this winter. Dice-K prefers to sign a big-league contract with incentives. However, it is also likely he ends up signing a minor-league deal or could return to pitch in Japan...
Red Sox News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.