Final: Rockies 2, Phillies 3.
WP: Jonathan Papelbon (4-6. 2.61 ERA) LP: Will Harris (1-1, 6.57 ERA)
Citizens Bank Park did not have too much energy as tonight's game got under way. Cliff Lee allowing two runs right away in the top of the first, and the Phillies failing to score in the bottom half after getting their first two runners on, definitely did not help that cause one bit.
Opposing starter Jeff Francis threw five and two-thirds scoreless innings this evening, allowing just six hits and one walk while striking out seven batters. Cliff Lee was shaky in the first inning, but was able to get things together for the rest of his outing, allowing just two runs on 8 hits in 6.1 total innings pitched. 72 of his 104 total pitches were thrown for strikes.
Things would finally turn the Phillies way in the bottom of the seventh inning with two outs, as pinch-hitter Laynce Nix hit a two-run double to tie the game at two. Much credit goes to Juan Pierre and Chase Utley who kept the inning alive with two already retired, as they singled and walked respectively before Nix came up to bat. With runners on second and third with one out in the bottom of the ninth, pinch-hitter Nate Schierholtz singled on a ground ball to right field to secure the come-back victory- the 10th walk-off of the year for the Phillies.
Tonight, Juan Pierre passed Maury Wills to become 19th all-time stolen-base leader in Major League Baseball history. He is baseball's current active leader with 588.
LHP Cole Hamels (14-6) opposes RHP Tyler Chatwood (4-4) in the second game of the series. In 33.2 career innings against the Rockies, Hamels is (3-1) with a 3.48 ERA. His last start against Colorado came on July 15th of this season, when he lasted eight strong innings, giving up just one run on six hits.
The game, starting at 7:05 pm EST, can be seen on CSN and heard on 1210 WPHT AM & 94 WIP FM.
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Jeff Francis: 5.2 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 SO, 0 HR, 5.38 ERA
- Cliff Lee: 6.1 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 7 SO, 0 HR, 3.50 ERA
- Carlos Torres (6th, 7th): 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 4.19 ERA
- Matt Reynolds (7th): 0.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 4.42 ERA
- Josh Roenicke (7th): 0.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 2.66 ERA
- Matt Belisle (8th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 2.99 ERA
- Will Harris (9th): 0.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 6.57 ERA
- Josh Lindblom (7th): o.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 3.47 ERA
- Jake Diekman (7th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 4.57 ERA
- Phillippe Aumont (8th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 1.80 ERA
- Jonathan Papelbon (9th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 2.61 ERA
- Top of the 1st (Rockies 1, Phillies 0): Carlos Gonzalez doubles (29) on a line drive to center fielder John Mayberry. Josh Rutledge scores.
- Top of the 1st (Rockies 2, Phillies 0): Wilin Rosario singles on a line drive to center fielder John Mayberry. Carlos Gonzalez scores.
- Bottom of the 7th (Rockies 2, Phillies 2): Laynce Nix doubles (9) on a line drive to right fielder Charlie Blackmon. Pete Orr, Juan Pierre score.
- Bottom of the 9th (Rockies 2, Phillies 3): Nate Schierholtz singles on a ground ball to right fielder Charlie Blackmon. Jimmy Rollins scores.
- Saturday, September 8, 2012; 7:05 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (67-71) vs. Colorado Rockies (56-81)
- Cole Hamels (14-6, 3.04 ERA) vs. Tyler Chatwood (4-4, 5.53 ERA)
- TV: CSN
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.
Delivered to your inbox
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News|
Today's Best Stuff