Final: Phillies 4, Brewers 7.
WP: Livan Hernandez (4-1, 5.06 ERA) LP: Josh Lindblom (2-3, 3.76 ERA) SV: Jim Henderson (3)
Cliff Lee had his pitches going for him tonight. At least after the first few innings, anyway, when he gave up three home runs- two of them to 2011 National League MVP Ryan Braun. He lasted seven and two-thirds innings, allowing 3 runs and just 5 hits, while striking out 12 batters. Lee now has 18 double-digit strikeout games since the beginning of the 2010 season with the Seattle Mariners, the most in majors during that span. 13 of those 18 came with the Phillies, ranking sixth in team history.
Offensively, the key moment for the Phillies in tonight's game came in the top of the fifth inning with Kevin Frandsen batting with the bases loaded and the team down 3 runs to 1. Down to the final strike and out of the inning, Kevin was able to smash a line drive to the center field wall, clearing the bases in the process. The Phillies held the lead from there up until two outs in the bottom of the 8th inning.
Unfortunately, Frandsen's error at third base cost the Phillies from getting out of the eighth inning with the lead. Cliff Lee was taken out of the game thereafter and replaced by Josh Lindblom, who was acquired from the Los Angeles Dodgers last month for center fielder Shane Victorino. Lindblom walked two batters, struggling with his command, and subsequently allowed a grand-slam to power-bat Corey Hart. The Phillies offense, despite rallying in the ninth, could not come through to get the team their 55th win of the season in the series opener of the Milwaukee series.
Vance Worley (6-7) will start in the second game of the series Friday evening against 26 year-old right-hander Yovani Gallardo (11-8). Gallardo's best season came in 2011 when he posted a 17-10 record with a 3.52 ERA in 207.1 total innings pitched.
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Cliff Lee: 7.2 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 12 SO, 3 HR, 3.83 ERA
- Marco Estrada: 5.0 IP, 8 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 4.52 ERA
- Josh Lindblom (8th): 0.1 IP, 1 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 0 SO, 1 HR, 3.76 ERA
- Jose Veras (6th, 7th): 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO, 0 HR, 4.68 ERA
- Livan Hernandez (8th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 5.06 ERA
- Manny Parra (9th): 0.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 4.44 ERA
- Jim Henderson (9th): 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 5.00 ERA
- Bottom of the 1st (Phillies 0, Brewers 1): Ryan Braun homers (30) on a fly ball to right center field.
- Bottom of the 1st (Phillies 0, Brewers 2): Aramis Ramirez homers (16) on a fly ball to center field.
- Top of the 3rd (Phillies 1, Brewers 2): Ryan Howard reaches on a force attempt, missed catch error. Jimmy Rollins scores.
- Bottom of the 4th (Phillies 1, Brewers 3): Ryan Braun homers (31) on a fly ball to right center field.
- Top of the 5th (Phillies 4, Brewers 3): Kevin Frandsen doubles (2) on a line drive to center fielder Carlos Gomez. Ryan Howard, Domonic Brown, and Laynce Nix score.
- Bottom of the 8th (Phillies 4, Brewers 7): Corey Hart hits a grand slam (23) to right center field. Rickie Weeks, Ryan Braun, Aramis Ramirez score.
- Friday, August 17, 2012; 8:10 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (54-64) at Milwaukee Brewers (53-64)
- Vance Worley (6-7, 3.97 ERA) vs. Yovani Gallardo (11-8, 3.78 ERA)
- TV: MyPHL17
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.
Delivered to your inbox
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News|
Today's Best Stuff
Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.
What is Yardbarker?