This is especially true in games against the A.L. West including sweeping the Angels and taking two of three in a series against Texas.Pitching match ups: Game 24: RHP – Felix Hernandez vs. RHP – Jeremy Hellickson Felix held the Tigers to just a single run in his 7 innings of work in his last start. The King seems to have settled nicely on his throne. If his velocity is concerning his control is not. That is good news.
- Last year’s Tampa Bay team hit only .218 against Felix
- Left handed batters are having better luck against the former Cy Young award winner with .235 vs .171 for righties so far this year.
- Felix’s current line: 2-1 / 2.48 ERA / 33 SO / 8 BB / 1.02 WHIP
- Hellickson who was 13-10 for the Rays last season is off to a good start so far this year going 3-0 with a 2.84 ERA in 4 games.
- Opponents are hitting only .221 against Hellickson this season
- In 3 games against Hellickson last season (This is embarrassing) Mariners hitters drove 2 runs, giving the young pitcher a 0.81 ERA against Seattle
- Noesi’s first two innings may indicate the type of performance he will have. He likes to throw a first pitch strike followed by another pitch over the plate. If he can learn to throw to hitters instead of to the strike zone, he may have more success
- Moore is a left handed pitcher that struggles against left handed batters, which the Mariners have a stack of. So far this season Lefties are hitting an even .500 against Moore. Hopefully this will give the Mariners a chance of success.
- Current line: 0-1 / 4.68 ERA / 17 SO / 14 BB / 1.56 Whip
- Opponents are hitting .260 against Bevan with success coming better from lefties.
- This will be Beaven’s first career start against Tampa and has only faced 2 of the Ray’s hitters before: Brandon Allen and Jose Molina who are hitting a combined .429 against the hard throwing right hander
- Shields come into this game with a .547 winning percentage and 1055 strike outs for his career. He is currently 4-0 with 28 strike outs this season alone.
- Despite an impressive career Shields has struggled against Seattle. Over the past 3 years he has a 2-3 record in 7 games with a 5.28 ERA allowing 10 Mariner Home Runs.
- Current line: 0-2 / 5.24 ERA / 15 SO / 8 BB / 1.61 WHIP
- Millwood may want to pitch around Even Longoria who has faced Millwood in 6 At Bats and has 3 hits, 2 walks and a home run.
- Niemann is off to a rough start this season but has always fared well against Seattle (4-0 2.87 ERA in 6 starts)
- Chone Figgins has a .500 average against Nieman
- Right handed batters are hitting only .098 against Neimann this season
Current Tampa Bay hitters are 22-for-135 (.163) against him with no home runs.The Mariners are 5-1 in Hernandez’s last six road starts, while Tampa Bay has won five of Hellickson’s last six trips to the mound at home. The Rays have been tough to beat at home, starting a major league-best 8-1 and winning 36 of their last 52 at Tropicana Field dating back to last season. CLICK HERE CHECK OUT THE SEATTLE MARINERS CLUBHOUSE AT NWSB! © Danny Ferguson for North West Sports Beat, 2012. | Permalink | No comment | Follow NWSB on Twitter or join US on Facebook for real-time updates OR... | Share This on Twitter | Share NWSportsBeat.com on Facebook Post tags: Alex Liddi, Blake Beaven, Chone Figgins, Eric Wedge, Felix Hernandez, Hector Noesi, Jeremy Hellickson, Justin Smoak, Kevin Millwood, Mariners blog, Mariners Predictions, Mariners vs. Rays, Matt Moore, Michael Saunders, Miquel Olivo, MLB Series Preview, Seattle Mariners Blog, Seattle vs. Tampa Bay, Series picks, Tampa Bay, Tampa Bay Rays
Delivered to your inbox
|Latest Rumors||Best of Yardbarker|
Today's Best Stuff
Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.
What is Yardbarker?