Found July 29, 2013 on
Boston Red Sox
Toronto Blue Jays
Los Angeles Dodgers
The Philadelphia Phillies are just 1-8 and have been outscored 60-27 since the MLB all-star break. Frustration is starting to become apparent amongst the Phillies clubhouse with closer Jonathan Papelbon letting it be known.
“I definitely didn’t come here for this,” said Papelbon.
When brought up the idea of him possibly being moved he shared his thoughts.
“No, I would like to stay here,” Papelbon said. “But if I’m going to have to put up with this year after year, then no, I don’t want to be here. Why would you? Why would anybody?”
The Phillies are currently a season-worst seven games below .500. With the team already fielding calls for Michael Young and Cliff Lee, it is likely that Papelbon is also considered as a potential trade chip by opposing clubs. He signed a four-year, $50 million deal back in 2011 – departing from Boston to the city of brotherly love. So far this season he has converted 20 saves in 25 opportunities with a 2.21 earned run average.
Papelbon suggests that chan...
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
Jonathan Papelbon isn’t one to mince words. Once again, he spoke loudly following the disastrous loss on Sunday in Detroit. Papelbon told MLB.com he doesn’t want to be here if the team isn’t a winner.
Asked after the game if he wants to be traded, Papelbon said, “No, I would like to stay here. But if I’m going to have to put up with this year after year, then no, I...
Saying, "I definitely didn't come here for this, Philies closer Jonathan Papelbon believes the team needs to make major changes, "From top to bottom."
Jonathan Papelbon's patience in Philadelphia might be wearing thin.
The veteran closer, who signed a four-year $50 million contract in November 2011, vented after the Phillies lost to the Tigers 12-4, extending their skid to eight games.
"I definitely didn't come here for this," Papelbon told MLB.com.
The 32-year-old closer has had another solid season for the...
When the Red Sox’ roster was dismantled after the disastrous September in 2011, Jonathan Papelbon found himself on the way out of town. Now in Philadelphia, the closer believes the Red Sox had the right idea about rebuilding, and the Phillies would be wise to follow their lead.
While hopes were high in Philly at the beginning of the season, Philadelphia now finds themselves 10...
Jonathan Papelbon had only a couple minutes to talk Sunday morning at Comerica Park but he said plenty expressing the need for changes in the organization if things do not improve on the field.
Papelbon signed a four-year $50 million contract in November 2011 but he has known mostly losing at this point in Philadelphia. The Phillies returned home after a 12-4 loss to the Tigers...
Phillies star closer Jonathan Papelbon expressed his dissatisfaction with what's going on with the Phillies. But here's some news for him: He's almost surely stuck there.
"I can't imagine anyone taking that contract of his and giving Philadelphia pieces back'' one rival executive said basically echoing the sentiments of several asked about Papelbon....
Jonathan Papelbon has not recorded a save since July 11, and most of that has to do with how badly the Philadelphia Phillies have struggled. A 12-4 loss to the Detroit Tigers on Sunday was the eighth straight for the Phillies, who have fallen out of playoff contention and appear unlikely to climb back in. [...]
Jonathan Papelbon sure knows how to say things that ruffle peoples' feathers. In a postgame interview after the Phillies' embarrassing 12-3 loss to the Detroit Tigers in which Papelbon had to pitch a mop-up inning, Papelbon made some comments that will upset some Phillies fans. He thinks a full-scale rebuild...
After an eight game losing streak the Philadelphia Phillies have decided to sell and sell hard. One guy who has been talked about a lot is closer Jonathan Papelbon, especially with teams like the Detroit Tigers and Boston Red Sox in need of closers. One of them, the Tigers, satisfied their need with a trade for Jose Veras so that takes one team out of the market. Unfortunately...
Source: Justin K. Aller/Getty Images North America
The Philadelphia Phillies may be waiving the white flag on the 2013 season but that does not mean that management is ready to disband the team in any way.
Cliff Lee is not for trade and the Phillies are working to re-sign 34-year-old Chase Utley to a new contract.
With the Philies losing eight in a row following Sunday’s meltdown...
The Philadelphia Phillies lost their eighth straight game Sunday, a 12-4 rout at the hands of the Detroit Tigers, dropping them to a season-worst seven games below .500. “I definitely didn’t come here for this,” Phillies closer Jonathan Papelbon told MLB.com. ”No, I would like to stay here,” said Papelbon. “But if I’m going to have [...]
Jonathan Papelbon was around for the epic collapse of 2011, and now he's experiencing something similar to what we felt last year, just one year later and with a different team. His current team, the Philadelphia Phillies are currently 7 games under .500 and 10 1/2 games off the pace in the NL East according to NESN and Pap is now saying the...
Phillies closer Jonathan Papelbon is ready to pack his bags and leave Philadelphia if they don’t turn things around. “I definitely didn’t come here for this,” Papelbon told MLB.com. Papelbon signed a a four-year, $50 million contract in November 2011. He was asked what he thought about
The Philadelphia Phillies have one day to decide their future. Michael Young, Chase Utley, Jonathan Papelbon, Cliff Lee and Carlos Ruiz are veterans, leaders, gold glovers, silver sluggers, clutch performers, world champions and cy youngers. But now, they are trade bait. This final day could bring a new era into Phillies baseball, or it could [...]