Final: Phillies 8, Rockies 5.
WP: Vance Worley (5-5, 3.47 ERA)
LP: Jeremy Guthrie (3-9, 6.14 ERA)
SV: Jonathan Papelbon (19)
For just the second time in the month of July, the Philadelphia Phillies have won a baseball game. Starter Vance Worley lasted six and two-thirds innings, as he gave up eight hits and just two earned runs.
Jonathan Papelbon came into the game in the eight, seeking to secure the five-out save for his team. With him allowing no runners on base, according to Reuben Frank, he was the first Phillies pitcher to record a save of 5 outs or more doing so since Billy Wagner on May 1, 2005.
The Phillies received good news prior to tonight's action, as the team got word that Roy Halladay will be ready to start for the team this upcoming Tuesday against Bobby Abreu and the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Three-time all-star Cole Hamels will start in the Sunday's series finale matinee.
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Vance Worley: 6.2, 8 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 3.47 ERA
- Jeremy Guthrie: 4.2 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO, 1 HR, 6.14 ERA
In the 'Pen:
- Matt Reynolds (5th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 3.35 ERA
- Adam Ottavino (6th, 7th): 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO, 0 HR, 5.10 ERA
- Jake Diekman (7th, 8th): 0.2 IP, 0 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 4.42 ERA
- Mike Ekstrom (8th): 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 0.00 ERA
- Brian Sanches (8th): 0.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 1 HR, 9.95 ERA
- Jonathan Papelbon (8th, 9th): 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR,
- Matt Belisle (9th): 0.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 2.25 ERA
- Rex Brothers (9th): 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 3.74 ERA
- Top of the 1st (Phillies 1, Rockies 0): Chase Utley singles on a line drive to left fielder Carlos Gonzalez. Shane Victorino scores.
- Top of the 1st (Phillies 4, Rockies 0): Carlos Ruiz homers (14) on a fly ball to center field. Chase Utley, Ryan Howard score.
- Bottom of the 3rd (Phillies 4, Rockies 1): Dexter Fowler singles on a soft line drive to left fielder Juan Pierre. Josh Rutledge scores.
- Bottom of the 3rd (Phillies 4, Rockies 2): Carlos Gonzalez doubles (21) on a line drive to center fielder Shane Victorino. Dexter Fowler scores.
- Top of the 6th (Phillies 6, Rockies 2): Vance Worley doubles (1) on a fly ball to right fielder Tyler Colvin. Juan Pierre, Mike Fontenot scores.
- Bottom of the 8th (Phillies 6, Rockies 5): Wilin Rosario homers (15) on a fly ball to left field. Tyler Colvin, Jordan Pacheco score.
- Top of the 9th (Phillies 7, Rockies 5): Shane Victorino triples (3) on a line drive to left fielder Tyler Colvin. Jimmy Rollins scores.
- Top of the 9th (Phillies 8, Rockies 5): Chase Utley singles on a ground ball to right fielder Tyler Colvin. Shane Victorino scores.
- Sunday, July 15, 2012; 3:10 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (38-51) at Colorado Rockies (34-53)
- Cole Hamels (10-4, 3.20 ERA) vs. Drew Pomeranz (1-3, 3.06 ERA)
- TV: MyPHL17
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.
Delivered to your inbox
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News||NBA News||NHL News|
Today's Best Stuff