Final: Phillies 2, Nationals 0.
WP: Kyle Kendrick (11-12, 3.90 ERA) LP: John Lannan (4-1, 4.13 ERA) SV: Phillippe Aumont (2)
The only runs scored tonight on either side came from Darin Ruf's first major-league triple, which brought home Carlos Ruiz and Domonic Brown.
Kyle Kendrick lasted seven strong shutout innings tonight, allowing just four hits and one walk while striking out a total of four batters. 64 of his 100 total pitches were thrown for strikes. As Matt Gelb tweeted, Kendrick has a 6.6 strikeouts per 9 IP ratio this season. His career average before this season was 4.1 strikeouts per 9 IP.
Much credit, along with Kendrick, goes to Justin De Fratus and Jeremy Horst for working out of the eighth inning, playoff-atmosphere jam without allowing a run. Phillippe Aumont shut the door in the ninth for his second save of the season.
Prior to the bottom of the ninth inning tonight, the Nationals' fans erupted when news broke out that the Atlanta Braves lost against the Pittsburgh Pirates- which was necessary for the team to clinch their first NL East division crown in franchise history.
With tonight's win, the Phillies are now guaranteed to finish (.500) or better for the season.
The second-to-last game of the season will get underway Tuesday evening with the 7:05 pm EST scheduled first-pitch. The Phillies will oppose Nationals' lefty ace, Gio Gonzalez (21-8). It is expected that tomorrow will be a bullpen game for the Phillies' bullpen, as Tyler Cloyd has been shut down for the rest of the regular season. The game will be seen on CSN and heard on 1210 WPHT AM & 94 WIP FM.
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Kyle Kendrick: 7.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO, 0 HR, 3.90 ERA
- John Lannan: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 4.13 ERA
- Justin De Fratus (8th): 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 3.72 ERA
- Jeremy Horst (8th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 1.19 ERA
- Phillippe Aumont (9th): 1.o IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 3.68 ERA
- Craig Stammen (6th, 7th): 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 SO, 0 HR, 2.34 ERA
- Ryan Mattheus (8th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 2.89 ERA
- Drew Storen (9th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 2.45 ERA
- Top of the 2nd (Phillies 2, Nationals 0): Darin Ruf triples (1) on a sharp line drive to left fielder Michael Morse. Carlos Ruiz, Domonic Brown score.
- Tuesday, October 2, 2012; 7:05 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (81-79) at Washington Nationals (96-64)
- TBA vs. Gio Gonzalez (21-8, 2.89 ERA)
- TV: CSN
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News||NBA News||NHL News|
Today's Best Stuff