Cincinnati Reds right-handed starting pitcher Johnny Cueto
took a big step forward in his recovery from a strained lat muscle, as the ace
resumed a throwing program yesterday, according to John Fay of The Cincinnati
Cueto threw for seven minutes on flat ground. He gradually
increased his distance to 75 feet. After the session, he told reporters that
his injury “felt better,” adding that he didn’t experience any pain.
Hitting the disabled list earlier this month, Cueto is eligible
to return for Cincinnati on April 29. While it’s good news that he’s throwing
again, Fay doesn’t expect the right-hander to be ready to return when eligible.
At this point, Cueto will continue to throw daily, assuming
he doesn’t face any setbacks. Manager Dusty Baker is glad to hear his ace is
coming along, but he also said the Reds will be careful with Cueto.
Prior to hitting the DL, Cueto had posted an ERA of 2.60
over his first three starts of the season. The Reds replaced the 27-year-old in
the rotation with top prospect Tony Cingrani.
Looking for fantasy baseball advice?