The Detroit Tigers have given up hopes of Victor Martinez coming back this season.
Tigers trainer Kevin Rand said Friday the decision was made earlier in the week to stop Martinez's running program. Rand says the team is now aiming for the 33-year-old Martinez to return for the start of spring training next year.
The designated hitter is recovering from microfracture surgery on his left knee. The best-case scenario had him possibly playing in September.
He hit .330 with 103 RBIs last season to help Detroit win its first division title since 1987 in the first year of his $50 million, four-year contract.
Martinez tore his left ACL during offseason conditioning in January, leading to the Tigers signing slugger Prince Fielder.
Follow Larry Lage on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/larrylage