Will Middlebrooks says he’s fine. Don’t believe him? Well, the third baseman took batting practice on Thursday, and it’s looking like he could be in the Red Sox’ starting lineup when Boston takes on Pittsburgh at JetBlue Park on Friday night.
Middlebrooks, who left Wednesday’s game after an awkward swing against Orioles starter Chris Tillman, said Thursday that he was pain free, and manager John Farrell indicated that the 24-year-old had been cleared to resume baseball activities.
It didn’t take long for Middlebrooks to dive into those activities either, as the Red Sox tweeted out a photo of the slugger taking batting practice shortly after.
“That’s all good news,” Farrell said after Thursday’s game of Middlebrooks taking a full round of BP. “That’s all good news. From the report I have, it was a regular batting practice. I’m sure it was controlled, but the fact that he was able to swing a bat and test it out, all positives.”
Check out the photo of Middlebrooks taking batting practice below. Then, smile a little bit, because the Red Sox have officially dodged a bullet.
Back at it @middlebrooks takes BP on Field 1. twitpic.com/c7juar
— Boston Red Sox (@RedSox) February 28, 2013
Have a question for Ricky Doyle? Send it to him via Twitter at @TheRickyDoyle or send it here.