Found January 25, 2013 on 5thRound.com:

According the UFC president Dana White, middleweight king Anderson Silva is on the brink of inking a 10-fight contract extension. Furthermore, the soon-to-be 38-year-old will have blockbuster bouts against reigning welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre and light heavyweight champ Jon Jones before he retires. “You will have both those fights before Anderson Silva retires,” White promised Friday on ESPN Chicago’s The Waddle & Silvy Show. “Anderson Silva is on the verge of signing a new big deal with us, and he wants big fights. That’s what he wants.” If Uncle Dana says it, then it has to be true, right? Here’s to hoping. “The great thing about it is, Anderson Silva is the greatest fighter ever in mixed martial arts,” White added. “He’s 185 pounds, and he lands right in the middle of Georges St-Pierre and Jon Jones, so he can fight both of those guys.” Most believed the promotion would arrange GSP vs. Silva after St-Pierre successfully unified the 170-pound crown against Carlos Condit at UFC 154. “The Spider” even made the trek all the way to Canada to watch the November scrap in person. Furthermore, the UFC had a camera fixated on Silva throughout the match and aired his live reactions in the corner of the television screen during the fight. Instead, St-Pierre requested and was granted a tango with Nick Diaz. The two will meet in the most anticipated welterweight affair in MMA history at UFC 158. “Georges St-Pierre wanted to fight Nick Diaz,” White stated. “He’s been off for a little over a year; he had that knee surgery. Let’s see how this Diaz fight goes. That fight isn’t dead. That fight is going to happen. Let’s say Diaz beats Georges St-Pierre, Diaz has said straight up he wants to fight Anderson Silva. We’ll see what happens.” As far as Jones goes, the and Silva have previously professed they weren’t interested in fighting each other. However, both have softened their stance over the past year. Jones will defend his throne against Chael Sonnen at UFC 159. Silva is planning on marinating until this spring. Silva vs. Jones would mark the biggest fight the UFC has ever arranged. Both are also sponsored by Nike, so the ad campaigns should be interesting.

THE BACKYARD
BEST OF MAXIM
RELATED ARTICLES

Dana White Not Going Out of His Way for Nick Diaz

One step at a time when it comes to Nick Diaz (Pictured). The UFC cleared the first hurdle Wednesday when they actually got Diaz to attend a pre-fight press conference in Canada. The next roadblock, which has proven to be even more troublesome, is whether the habitual medical marijuana smoker will pass his post-fight drug exam. Diaz was issued a 12-month suspension by the Nevada...

Dana White Taking Tournament Approach with UFC Light Heavyweight Division

March Madness is still a couple of months away, but UFC president Dana White has already formulated an unofficial four-man tournament for the light heavyweight division. On one end of the brackets, Dan Henderson (Pictured) controls his own destiny. According to White, all Hendo needs to do is beat former champ Lyoto Machida at UFC 157 and he punches his ticket to the big dance....

Dana White Says Brock Lesnar Almost Returned to UFC Last Year for Fedor Fight

- UFC President Dana White reveals that Brock Lesnar almost returned to UFC in 2012, for a superfight against Fedor Emelianenko that would have taken place at Cowboys Stadium in Texas. Dana said: "Remember when I met with Lesnar and said it didn't go well? It actually went well. It went well, and Brock wanted to fight Fedor. Then Fedor's dad died, and he was done....

White Says Lesnar Almost Returned to UFC Last Year

- UFC President Dana White reveals that Brock Lesnar almost returned to UFC in 2012, for a superfight against Fedor Emelianenko that would have taken place at Cowboys Stadium in Texas.Dana said:“Remember when I met with Lesnar and said it didn’t go well? It actually went well. It went well, and Brock wanted to fight Fedor. Then Fedor’s dad died, and he was done.”Regarding...

Quinton ‘Rampage’ Jackson Has Made $15.2 Million in UFC

If Quinton “Rampage” Jackson (Pictured) ignoring the media to play video games on his Playstation Vita throughout Thursday’s “UFC on FOX: Johnson vs. Dodson” pre-fight press conference wasn’t a telltale sign he’s done with the UFC, then I don’t know what is. According to UFC president Dana White, his disgruntled soon-to-be former employee has been more than generously...

Vitor Belfort vs. Luke Rockhold in the works

After former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort cracked Michael Bisping in the head with his shin at UFC on FX 7 the Brazilian began asking for a fight against a champion. It appears as if UFC president Dana White will grant Belfort his wish by giving him Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold. When White [...]
MMA News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.