Found August 29, 2013 on
The NFL and more than 4,500 former players want to resolve concussion-related lawsuits with a $765 million settlement that would fund medical exams, concussion-related compensation and medical research, a federal judge said Thursday.
The plaintiffs include at least 10 members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, including former Dallas Cowboys running back Tony Dorsett. They also include Super Bowl-winning quarterback Jim McMahon and the family of Pro Bowl linebacker Junior Seau, who committed suicide last year.
Many former players with neurological conditions believe their problems stem from on-field concussions. The lawsuits accused the league of hiding known risks of concussions for decades to return players to games and protect its image.
The NFL has denied any wrongdoing and has insisted that safety has always been a top priority.
Senior U.S. District Judge Anita Brody in Philadelphia announced the proposed settlement Thursday after months of court-ordered mediation. She still must approve it at a later date.
The settlement likely means the NFL won't have to disclose internal files about what it knew, when, about concussion-linked brain problems. Lawyers had been eager to learn, for instance, about the workings of the league's Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Committee, which was led for more than a decade by a rheumatologist.
In court arguments in April, NFL lawyer Paul Clement asked Brody to dismiss the lawsuits and send them to arbitration under terms of the players' contract. He said that individual teams bear the chief responsibility for health and safety under the collective bargaining agreement, along with the players' union and the players themselves.
Players lawyer David Frederick accused the league of concealing studies linking concussions to neurological problems for decades.
Brody had initially planned to rule in July, but then delayed her ruling and ordered the two sides to meet to decide which plaintiffs, if any, had the right to sue. She also issued a gag order, so it has been unclear in recent weeks whether any progress was being made.
The lawyers were due to report back to her Tuesday, but Brody instead announced in court files Thursday that the case had settled.
In recent years, a string of former NFL players and other concussed athletes have been diagnosed after their deaths with chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE. Those ex-players included Seau and lead plaintiff Ray Easterling, who filed the first suit in Philadelphia in August 2011 but later committed suicide.
About one-third of the league's 12,000 former players have joined the litigation since 2011. They include a few hundred ''gap'' players, who played during years when there was no labor contract in place, and were therefore considered likely to win the right to sue.
The timing of the settlement allowed the NFL to drop the issue from the national conversation before the start of the new season.
All 32 clubs were scheduled to play their final exhibition games Thursday night, in preparation for the start of the regular season next week. The first real game is next Thursday, with the reigning Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens playing at the Denver Broncos.
Concussions - and the former players' lawsuits - had become a main theme of recent NFL seasons, with players, coaches and league officials all forced to address the topic repeatedly, especially as new plaintiffs came forward on nearly a weekly basis. It was the sort of public relations distraction the league has become skilled at avoiding - and the easiest way to set this topic aside, of course, was to have the court cases resolved.
AP Sports Writer Howard Fendrich contributed to this report.
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
The legal struggle between the NFL and former players over concussions has reached an end.
More then 4,500 former players and the NFL have reached a $765 million settlement to resolve concussion-related lawsuits.
The money from the lawsuit will go to fund medical exams, concussion-related compensation and medical research, a federal judge said Thursday.
One of the principle...
Former Bears QB Jim McMahon says he is dealing with the early stages of dementia and at one point contemplated suicide, but says the NFL's $765 million settlement is really good news for other former players who "are a lot worse off than I am."
McMahon, in an interview with Dan Patrick on Friday, said his physical and mental health has improved since receiving treatment...
PHILADELPHIA — The NFL and more than 4,500 former players want to resolve concussion-related lawsuits with a $765 million settlement that would fund medical exams, concussion-related compensation and medical research, a federal judge said Thursday.
The plaintiffs include at least 10 members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, including former Dallas Cowboys running back Tony Dorsett...
Tony Dorsett hopes a proposed $765 million settlement with the NFL can make a difference in the lives of the thousands of former players who are suffering from concussion-related brain injuries.
Players like Dorsett, a Hall of Fame running back.
''There's definitely a dire need for help for these guys - for us guys,'' Dorsett told The Associated Press on Thursday...
Today the NFL and former players reached an agreement to the lawsuits pertaining to concussions. The deal that was reached was worth around $765 million. This money will help aid in exams, bills, and research.
Some of the former players that were in court were Tony Dorsett and Jim McMahon. Plus it was reported that the family Junior Seau, who committed suicide last year was present...
There is a proposed settlement in the concussions lawsuit...
More when we know more...
But if you divide $765-million into 4,000 it averages $191,250 per player- which, the HQ thinks, is a mere drop in the bucket when it comes to treatment (past, present, and future) of all the player's issues that have built up over time.
The settlement would fund medical exams, concussion...
AP Pro Football Writer
NEW YORK (AP) — They were Hall of Famers like Tony Dorsett, Super Bowl MVPs like Mark Rypien, and longtime backups like Don Strock.
In all, more than 4,500 retired players began suing the NFL two years ago, saying the league concealed what it knew about the long-term dangers of concussions and did not properly care for the head injuries that...
The NFL has reached an agreement with 4,500 former players who were suing the league in concussion related lawsuits. $765 million will be split among the players – $24 million per team basically. That breaks out to each player – or their family- receiving $170,000 each. The NFL is to pay 50% of settlement over the first 3 years and the balance over the following 17 years.
Thursday the league and over 4,500 former players, led by Senior U.S. District Judge Anita Brody reached an agreement to settle concussion-related lawsuits for $756 million dollars. The agreement must still be approved in court.
The settlement will go towards medical exams, research and concussion-related compensation.
Awards (to max of $675M, max of $5M/player) avail to those who...
No Admission Of Guilt Here, No Sir
10) It turns out that you can put a price on human life and suffering, and that price is $765 million
9) This will severely impact the league's profitability for weeks to come
8) There is no truth to the rumor that part of the settlement is that NLFN will continue to hire the most afflicted victims as on-air talent, or that much of the money...