Found January 26, 2013 on
Nashville heads into the sunny skies of Anaheim tonight to face off against the Anaheim Ducks in the third game of their season long 7-game road trip.
The Predators dropped their previous outing to the St. Louis Blues in a disappointing 3-0 decision which saw Nashville only record an abysmal 14 shots on net against a stifling Blues defense with newly acquired veteran Wade Redden.
Nashville will head into this contest winners of the past 6 regular season games against Anaheim, having not lost a regular season game in Anaheim since November 7th, 2010. From the 2008-2009 season on, the Predators have gone 11-3-2 against the Ducks, including knocking them out in the first round in 2011 4 games to 2.
Looking at the Predators/Anaheim matchup historically…
Most goals forced by Nashville: 5 (happened twice, last on 3/24/11: a 5-4 win)
Most goals allowed by Nsahville: 5 (happened once, last on 4/7/00: a 5-1 loss)
Last Five/Ten Games of the Series for Nashville: 5-0-0 / 8-2-0
On March 18th, 2012… Nashville scored three third-period goals to complete its first season sweep of Anaheim at the Honda Center
On November 9th, 2011… Craig Smith notched his first career two-goal game and Martin Erat scored a shorthanded penalty shot in a 4-2 win at the Honda Center.
Hornqvist led all scoring last season against Anaheim with 2 goals and 3 assists (5 points).
Nashville’s powerplay went 3-17 (17.6%) and an amazing 9-9 on the penalty kill last season against the Ducks.
1) Nashville HAS to come out with a strong start. Force action in the Anaheim zone, put shots on net, score a goal (or two) early. Vancouver walloped Anaheim 5-0 last night and you know they will not be happy campers coming out onto the ice tonight.
2) The Predators lines are going to be shuffled for tonight’s contest…but to what extent? I figure all four lines are going to be adjusted and adjusted heavily, hopefully it will pay dividends and get Nashville back on the winning track.
3) Anaheim and Nashville don’t like each other. The Predators gained their first playoff series victory against the Ducks and have won 8 of the past 10 against them as well. Every game in the past ten has been increasingly chippy and after the way last night’s trouncing from the Canucks ended, Anaheim won’t respond well to getting blasted by the Predators.
4) Nashville’s issues haven’t been goaltending so far in this early season, it’s been more of a discombobulation of all sorts in the players and how they are responding to the early pressure of a shortened season. The Predators drop the first two in a shootout, beat the Wild, and lose to the Blues. Nashville has to produce as MANY wins as they can during this road trip (as many points as well).
5) A thought…if Nashville has trouble finishing out this road trip (Phoenix, LA, San Jose, and another St. Louis game still left), they are going to seriously find themselves in danger early in this season
Nashville NEEDS the win against Anaheim tonight, just as much as Anaheim NEEDS the win as well.
Who wants it more? We’ll find out very soon…
BEST OF MAXIM
Nashville Predators wing Patric Hornqvist will be sidelined indefinitely after suffering a lower-body injury in Saturday night's game at Anaheim, Predators coach Barry Trotz told the Tennessean. "He's a big part of what we do," Trotz said, according to the Tennessean. "He's a great guy who brings a lot of energy. He's as hard as they come. He'...
The Nashville Predators tend to have little trouble with the Anaheim Ducks.
Both teams had plenty of it while trying to put the puck in the net their last time out.
The Predators look to continue their dominance of the Ducks on Saturday night, when both clubs attempt to bounce back from their first shutout losses of the season.
Nashville (1-1-2) has won six in a row over Anaheim...
ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) -- Viktor Fasth made 19 saves and stopped all three Nashville shootout attempts to win his NHL debut, and Corey Perry scored the only shootout goal in the Anaheim Ducks' 3-2 victory over the Predators on Saturday night.
Fasth, the Ducks' new 30-year-old backup goalie from Sweden, capped his solid debut performance by deftly gloving his deflection of...
Both teams were coming off embarrassing losses. The Anaheim Ducks got blasted by the Vancouver Canucks, 5-0, on Friday night and the Nashville Predators looked like a minor league squad against the St. Louis Blues, losing 3-0, on Thursday. Something had to give.
In front of 17,174 at Honda Center, the Ducks used the shootout to down the Preds, 3-2.
Nashville went to a shootout in...
ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Ducks goalie Viktor Fasth denied Nashville's David Legwand in an overtime shootout to seal his first career victory with a 3-2 win over the visiting Predators on Saturday night at the Honda Center. Corey Perry snuck a goal past Nashville goaltender Pekka Rinne to put Anaheim ahead in the shootout, fooling Rinne with a double move before scoring with a wrist...
from John Kreiser of NHL.com,
The Anaheim Ducks become the 30th and last team to play its home opener when they take the ice Friday night at the Honda Center against Vancouver. They'll be hoping to avoid the problems that teams have had in winning their first home games this season.
Home openers have been anything but a chance to celebrate for most teams. San Jose...
from Dirk Hoag of On The Forecheck,
First, Hornqvist took a Shea Weber shot off his right thigh, which left him hobbling off to the bench for repairs. Signs were hopeful at that time, as he made it back out for another shift, but a Ducks player then fell into Hornqvist's left leg in the corner of the Anaheim zone, causing that knee to buckle at an unnatural angle....
CANUCKS (1-1-1) at DUCKS (2-0-0)
Location: Honda Center in Anaheim, CA
- The Anaheim Ducks open the home portion of the schedule against the Vancouver Canucks; the same team they thrashed on the road, 7-3, to begin the season.
- The key here is to forget what happened on opening night and look at the big picture. Anaheim is trying to start the season 3-0 in an effort to establish...
The Phoenix Coyotes' stunning success last season included their first appearance in the Western Conference finals, and that came at the expense of the Nashville Predators.
Neither team has played at that level since returning from the lockout, and now the Predators are without Patric Hornqvist.
In their first meeting since facing off in the playoffs, the Coyotes and Predators...
(Deborah Robinson/Getty Images)
The Nashville Predators start their Pacific coast road trip Saturday night against the Anaheim Ducks after being shutout by the St. Louis Blues, 3-0 Thursday. Anaheim is coming off of a embarrasing loss themselves Friday, losing to the Vancouver Canucks, 5-0. Both teams are looking to get their play in gear and make their drive...
Photo Credit: AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill
Nashville would take a lead twice, give it up twice, head to their third shootout, and grab their third shootout loss, losing to Anaheim 3-2 on a Corey Perry shootout goal. The Predators now are 1-1-3 on the season, 1-1-1 on the current road trip, and will be at Phoenix on Monday night for the fourth game of the seven game roadtrip.
Wade Redden last scored in the NHL on March 10, 2010, that is of course until last night.
Darren Pang described the goal as a "kind of a double-I formation."
David Perron scored two goals and had an assist, and Wade Redden notched his first NHL goal in almost three years to lead the St. Louis Blues to a 4-3 victory over the Dallas Stars on Saturday night.
Both of Perron's goals, as well as Chris Stewart's third of the season, were part of a three-goal second period that turned a 2-1 deficit into a 4-2 lead for St. Louis.