Originally written on NorthWest Sports Beat  |  Last updated 11/11/14

DENVER - OCTOBER 03: Goaltender Roberto Luongo #1 of the Vancouver Canucks looks on during a break in the action against the Colorado Avalanche during NHL action at the Pepsi Center on October 3, 2009 in Denver, Colorado. Luongo had 24 saves while giving up three goals as the Avalanche defeated the Canucks 3-0. (Photo by Doug Pensinger/Getty Images)
Fold or Flop? Entering into the 2013 off-season Vancouver Canucks general manager Mike Gillis possessed two world-class goaltenders in Cory Schneider and Roberto Luongo with the former firmly cemented in the starter`s position. Today the Canucks employ only one NHL-calibre starting goaltender, and the organization isn`t even certain that he will be ready to return to the Canucks next season. Could Roberto Luongo return to the Canucks’ crease once again? The Roberto Luongo saga has become a painful journey of twists and turns, and yet the last curve in the road could be the one to see Luongo leave on his own terms, jerked around for the last time by Canucks management. And what a way it would be for the Canucks to close their crease controversy, with no starting goaltender, and with little-to-no return for an unhappy Roberto Luongo. When asked about the Roberto Luongo situation last week general manager Mike Gillis could muster only the one sentence regarding his new “starting” goaltender. “Play or not play,” he told the media. Which is where the Canucks sit now, waiting for Luongo to finish a poker tournament in Las Vegas before making a decision regarding his future in the NHL. “What teammate from the past would you like to see on the Canucks again?” “Cory Schneider.” While Luongo has proven his wit remains in playoff form, his refusal to mention the Canucks or the current goaltending situation in slightly concerning. Vancouver’s long-time starter has been a consummate professional throughout this entire ordeal, which makes his summer silence that much more worrisome for the Canucks, who could hardly blame Luongo for holding out after the way he has been managed. By all accounts the Vancouver Canucks had moved on from Roberto Luongo and his massive contract, and yet with his $4.2-million house up for sale Luongo has been asked to forget the past and return to play in Vancouver once again. “I feel like I’m at a stage in my life where I want to play.” Luongo said days after his season was ended by the San Jose Sharks. The Canucks can only hope Luongo’s desire to play remains the same after being given back the crease in Vancouver. If Luongo The Professional shows up at camp, the Canucks could begin the season with a motivated and talented starting goaltender. If Luongo the holdout emerges, the Canucks could enter the 2014 season with a number of question marks in the crease and only Eddie Lack to answer them. CLICK HERE CHECK OUT THE CANUCKS BLOG IN OUR CLUBHOUSE SECTION AT NWSB!
GET THE YARDBARKER APP:
Ios_download En_app_rgb_wo_45
MORE FROM YARDBARKER

Twins to limit players' smartphone use on game days

Shane Battier: Carmelo Anthony is not that tough to guard

Ronda Rousey would be 'happy' to fight Cat Zingano again

Markieff Morris calls out Suns fans after loss

Cowboys to let DeMarco Murray test free agency?

LIKE WHAT YOU SEE?
GET THE DAILY NEWSLETTER:

Brock Lesnar attends UFC 184, keeps MMA rumors alive

Dick Vitale will not call Duke-UNC rematch either

PHOTO: Auburn coaches, players wear ribbons for Mason

Dustin Penner apologizes after sending rape joke on Twitter

Report: Cowboys to use franchise tag on Dez Bryant

Report: Panthers officially parting ways with Greg Hardy

Durant blasts Instagram hater for Westbrook comment

Three potential big signings the Steelers could make

Kevin Garnett buys 1,000 tickets for Timberwolves fans

Michigan fan has incredible Charles Woodson tattoo

WATCH: NIU C brings down basket on dunk

McCown plans to embrace mentoring role with Manziel

Chris Sale out three weeks with foot injury

NHL analyst calls out media over Blackhawks report

Alabama recruits aim to bring the dynasty back

WATCH: Jon Jones, Rumble Johnson prank Dana White

Anthony Mason: The most 'New York' of the 90's Knicks

Ray Rice addresses domestic violence case, his future & more

NHL News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

By clicking "Sign Me Up", you have read and agreed to the Fox Sports Digital Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. You can opt out at any time. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.
the YARDBARKER app
Get it now!
Ios_download En_app_rgb_wo_45

Twins to limit game day cell phone use

Kevin Durant blasts hater on Instagram

KG buys 1,000 tickets for T-Wolves fans

Markieff Morris calls out Suns fans

Cowboys letting Murray test market?

Brock Lesnar attends UFC 184

Rousey beats Zingano in 14 seconds

Anthony Mason: The most 'New York' of the 90's Knicks

Could Eagles release LeSean McCoy?

AEG plays dirty with Inglewood stadium

Anthony Mason dies at age 48

Westbrook got dent in his cheek

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.