[caption id="attachment_177" align="alignleft" width="194"] image provided by hockeychump.com[/caption]
It's the return of the Isles Weekly Recap (replacing Isles News and Notes)! It's been a busy week for the Isles in the news, so let's recap all that went down this past week as we draw closer to the beginning of training camp.
- Earlier in the week, the Isles announced they would be holding a mini rookie camp from Friday until Tuesday. This camp will lead up to the beginning of the Isles training camp. Bridgeport Sound Tigers Head Coach, Scott Pellerin, will run the rookie mini camp.
- Here is the official roster for mini camp, which got underway yesterday.
- Speaking of training camp, that begins Wednesday, September 11th. The Isles will head in to Nassau Coliseum that day to take their physicals. The first day on ice will be the following day, Thursday, September 12th. The first day on the ice will be in Brooklyn at Barclay's Center, as Kevin Maher first reported.
The @NYIslanders will kick off training camp next Thursday on the ice at the @barclayscenter in Brooklyn. 1st taste of their future home.— Kevin Maher (@KMaherNews12) September 2, 2013
- After one day at Barclay's Center, training camp will return to Long Island.
- On Thursday, the Isles announced the signing of seven players to NHL tryout contracts. These players include goalie Ken Reiter and defenseman Dallas Jackson, who both signed Professional Tryout Contracts. Also, forwards Greg Miller and Riley Wetmore, defensemen Mike Dalhuisen and Mike Keenan, and goaltender Parker Milner all signed Amateur Tryout Contracts.
- These signings provide depth for the Isles in training camp, although none will make the team. Eventually, they will all be assigned to either Bridgeport or Stockton. Here is a link to the official press release.
- Yesterday, the Isles announced that they will be holding a press conference Monday, September 9th, at 10:45 A.M. to announce the new captain of the team. It is the worst kept secret on Long Island that the Isles will name John Tavares the 14th captain in team history.
- Here is a tweet from Arthur Staple of Newsday earlier in the week:
#Isles will have their new captain in place by the start of camp, I'm told -- @91Tavares will be named early next week.— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) September 3, 2013
- If you do not follow Staple on Twitter, you should. No one does a better job covering the team, and 95% of the time he reports any breaking news on the Isles before anyone else does.
- Daniel Friedman from newyork.cbslocal.com, had an interview with Sportsnet's Jeff Marek earlier in the week. Daniel, does a great job covering the Isles, and this is an excellent interview with Jeff Marek. If you have not already read it, here is the entire interview.
- Individual game tickets for the first half of the season went on sale for Islander home games this week. Reports a few weeks ago came out that the Isles have sold over 2,200 new season subscriptions this season, so get your tickets soon if you are looking to attend a game! It should be a great atmosphere in the Coliseum this year!
- On Monday, be sure to checkout Islander Country's continued coverage on previewing the season ahead. We will breakdown the forwards including additions, subtractions, and some line combination predictions on Monday. Also, we will have our take on Tavares being named captain Monday, once it is official.
- Check out our season preview coverage so far:
Ten Can't Miss Games.
Ten Fearless Predictions.
Positions Up for Grabs on Offense.
Positions Up for Grabs on Defense and Goaltending
- Have a great weekend! We're almost there!
Follow me on Twitter: @ed_omalley