Dallas Stars 0 vs Nashville Predators 2
The Nashville Predators shutout the Dallas Stars in the final regular season game at home. The Predators treat their fans in Fan Appreciation Night. Pekka Rinne played a great game and earned the shutout in his first game back from a virus.
The Nashville Predators will be playing in a 4 vs 5 match-up in the first round of the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs. The Dallas Stars will not be in the playoffs with the loss tonight. This is their fourth straight loss, and you can't do that in this time of the year.
Next Game: Predators @ Colorado Avalanche at 8 PM on FS-TN. A win would clinch 4th place and home-ice advantage in the first round.
The Cube is HOT, HOT, HOT!
Francis Bouillon, aka "The Cube", scored the first goal of the game, in the third period. Bouillon was crashing the net from the point and just tipped the puck home. That goal was his fourth of the year, but three of his goals have came in the last six games.
Bouillon had a chance, earlier in the game, to break the zero, zero score when he was going back-door on Kari Lehtonen. Kevin Klein passed to Bouillon, but his shot was stopped very well by Lehtonen.
The Nashville Predators end their sellout record, by going to 25. In 41 home games throughout the season, over half of them have been sellouts. Many have been close. But how fitting, on Fan Appreciation Night, the fans sellout the Bridgestone Arena to come and watch their Nashville Predators play their final home game, before the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
For many fans in Smashville, going to this game is important to them. For some, they can't afford expensive Playoff tickets because of the economy. And for others, they don't have time or wait too long to order their tickets.
Thursday night was fun for many of the fans. Ricky Staggs was on the Band Stage to perform during the first intermission, special giveaways and videos, and several lucky fans were able to get the Predators' jerseys after the game. That event is called "Shirts off the Back!", which is an awesome treat to the die-hard Predators fans.
Chet Pickard Sent Down to Milwaukee
Before going into Thursday night's game, Chet Pickard was assigned to the Milwaukee Admirals.With that transaction, it was a sure bet that Pekka Rinne was going to be in the line-up. Here is the Press Release.Nashville, Tenn. (April 5, 2012) –
Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced today that goaltender Chet Pickard (CHEHT PIH-kuhrd) has been assigned to Milwaukee (AHL). He joined the Predators on Tuesday after the completion of his season with the ECHL’s Cincinnati Cyclones.
Line Up Report
#35 Pekka Rinne
#32 Kari Lehtonen
Predators Scratches: #23 W Brian McGrattan (Upper Body), #15 C Craig Smith, #24 W Matt Halischuk, #33 C Colin Wilson, #38 D Jack Hillen, #49 D Ryan Ellis and #72 W Jack Maclellan
Stars Scratches: #11 C Jake Dowell, #17 C Toby Petersen (Illness), #18 W Reilly Smith, #27 D Adam Pardy and #81 C Tomas Vincour
Period by Period Summary
- 2:44 in, Brandon Yip went to the box for interference. Very weak call as the Stars player dove for that call.
- 4:44 in, Yip's penalty was killed off. Dallas had one shot on net.
- 9:34 in, Hal Gill took a shot from the point that was stopped by Lehtonen. Bourque was trying to dig in to get the puck in the net. That started a scrum in front.
- 15:04 in, Micheal Ryder picked up the puck to the left of Rinne, as he tried to jab it home. no dice for Ryder.
- 17:16 in, Kevin Klein passed to Francis Bouillon, who walked in alone to the right of Lehtonen. Bouillon's shot was stopped by Lehtonen, but what a great chance!
- 17:24 in, Jamie Benn and Michael Ryder broke away on a 2 on 1. Benn tried to pass to Ryder, for the one-timer, but Roman Josi deflected the puck away.
- At the end of the first period, no score. Nashville led in shots, 9-8.
- 1:56 in, Mike Ribeiro went around two defenders to get to the slot, but shot the puck wide.
- 4:48 in, Nick Spaling's shot from the top of the right circle of Lehtonen, forced a huge rebound in the middle of the ice. No Predators was able to control it.
- Around the 5:20 mark, Alex Goligoski tripped Jordin Tootoo, but no call was made. The trip was right in front of the referee. Goligoski's stick was in between Tootoo's legs and tugged him to the ice.
- 7:20 in, Alexander Radulov passed cross-ice to Andrei Kostitsyn, as his one-timer was covered by Lehtonen.
- 12:39 in, Hal Gill went to the box for interference. 2nd PP for the Stars.
- 14:39 in, Gill's penalty was killed off. Dallas didn't have a shot on net.
- 15:09 in, Trevor Daley took a shot from the left circle of Rinne. Rinne got a piece of the shot, but then it hit off the post. Rinne covered the puck up, after.
- 15:44 in, Mark Fistric left the game with a groin injury.
- 17:17 in, Weber's shot was deflected by Andrei Kostitsyn and almost swept home by Legwand. Getting hooked didn't allow that to happen.
- 17:19 in, Brenden Morrow went to the penalty box for hooking. PP Nashville.
- 19:19 in, Morrow's penalty was killed off. Nashville had two shots on net.
- The second period ended with no score. Nashville led in shots, 17-16.
- 2:41 in, Kevin Klein took a slap-shot that went high in the chest area of Lehtonen. He stopped that laser beam, no goal.
- 4:28 in, Francis Bouillon picked up the rebound at the top of the crease and shot it home, glove side. Predators finally break through, 1-0.
- 7:05 in, Kevin Klein's shot from the left of Lehtonen was barely held on by the arm.
- 8:21 in, Hal Gill's shot from the point caused a couple of rebounds that Lehtonen handled well. Radulov took the puck behind the net, to set up a play, but only to turn the puck over.
- 9:52 in, Andrei Kostitsyn went to the penalty box for tripping. Third PP for the Stars.
- 11:52 in, Andrei Kostitsyn's penalty was killed off.
- 12:31 in, Radulov set S. Kostitsyn for a one-timer, but his shot hammered wide of the net.
- 13:12 in, Ryan Garbutt went to the penalty box for Hooking. Second PP for Nashville. That followed by a TV Timeout Standing Ovation.
- 15:12 in, Garbutt's penalty was killed off.
- 16:51 in, Radulov shot on a 3 on 1, but Lehtonen came up big to stop the shot.
- 17:45 in, Benn was denied by Rinne, as Rinne was off-balance and threw the leg out to stop the shot.
- 18:00 in, Patric Hornqvist picked up the rebound alone in the slot, as he scored glove side, to make it 2-0 Predators.
- 18:10 in, Lehtonen went to the bench for the extra attacker.
- 18:31 in, Glen Gulutzan called a Time Out.
- 19:06 in, Mike Fisher went to the penalty box for Delay of Game. Fourth PP for Dallas. 6 on 4 hockey.
- Predators beat Stars, 2-0. Nashville outshot Dallas, 31-24.
Dallas Stars' Players to Watch:
#21 Loui Eriksson
#63 Mike Ribeiro
#14 Jamie Benn
Francis Bouillon - Hornqvist and A. Kostitsyn at 4:28 in the 3rd
Patric Hornqvist - Yip and Fisher at 18:00 in the 3rd
My Three Stars of the Game
1. Pekka Rinne: Shut-Out 28 Saves
2. Francis Bouillon: Goal
3. Patric Hornqvist: Goal & Assist