Found October 04, 2012 on
England manager Roy Hodgson has issued an apology to Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand over the way he dealt with his omission from his latest squad.
Ferdinand learned he was not going to be selected after Hodgson made some loose comments to a fellow passenger on the Tube heading to Arsenal's Champions League encounter with Olympiakos on Wednesday.
In addition to confirming the 33-year-old was not going to be selected for the World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Poland, Hodgson also indicated Ferdinand's international career was over despite John Terry's retirement from England duty.
The words prefaced Hodgson's squad announcement on Thursday morning, in which there was no place for Ferdinand but a spot for Stoke defender Ryan Shawcross, whose only previous call-up came under Fabio Capello in 2010.
Hodgson said: "I apologise to him (Ferdinand) and will apologise to him and there is no way I would indicate that I would not use a player in this way.
"I have tried to get in touch with Rio today and I am disappointed that a stray conversation has been reported in that way.
"I didn't say Rio's career was over. I might have admitted, foolishly I guess, and I only have myself to blame, that I wasn't going to choose him in this squad.
"I am just disappointed this could be seen as a lack of respect to Rio which is something I would shy away from.
"I have the utmost respect for him, as a person and a player. It is not for me to call time on anyone's career. I would never dream of calling time on anyone's career.
"It is up to an individual player to decide if he doesn't want to play anymore and when I speak to Rio I will make that very clear to him.
"But the bottom line is I am sticking to my guns. I am staying with the players I selected for the Euros and I am looking to the future."
Hodgson says he has now learnt his lesson about discussing England in public, adding: "All I remember was that I was talking to quite a lot of people on the Tube and one guy said 'is Rio in the next squad?'.
"I think I might have said 'I don't think so' and that is about as far as I went. But I shouldn't say that of course. It's a mistake and I need to apologise for it.
"This is one of the hazards I suppose of travelling on Tube trains when you go up to London and then speaking to people who ask me questions rather than sitting there tight-lipped refusing to ever open my mouth.
"I've paid for it and I will learn in future. Maybe this will be a lesson for all the people who see me on the Tube in future: please don't be too offended if I refuse to answer any questions you ask me."
The question of Ferdinand's selection had been raised again due to Terry retiring from England duty after he felt his position had been made "untenable" due to the FA pursuing him over the comments he made at Loftus Road in October last year towards the Manchester United man's brother Anton.
Terry was given a four-match ban and a £220,000 fine by the FA for using racist language.
Hodgson insists he has not even though about whether Terry would change his mind in the future, adding: "It's a hypothetical question. How can you pick someone in the squad if they have retired from international football? He has retired. Would I pick Bobby Charlton if he hadn't stopped playing for England?
"What I've said about John Terry, I stand by every word. I regret his decision but I respect it. I accept it and I move forward.
"I look at the other options available to me and keep my eyes firmly fixed on qualification for Brazil in two years' time."
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
Roy Hodgson will be guarding his tongue when traveling on the Tube from now on, after learning that idle chat with fellow commuters may not be such a good idea when you're England's national team coach.
Hodgson had to apologize to Rio Ferdinand on Thursday after telling fellow passengers on the Underground that the veteran Manchester United defender was not selected for...
Neil Lennon believes Fraser Forster's call-up to the England squad has vindicated the keeper's decision to stay in Scotland.
The Hoops' number one, who signed a permanent deal for the Scottish champions in the summer after two loan spells at the club, was named in Roy Hodgson's 25-man pool for the World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Poland on Thursday.
Holt Hits Out at Hodgson - originally posted on Soccerlens.comGrant Holt has expressed his disappointment at not being acknowledged by England manager Roy Hodgson and says he has now given up hope of ever playing for the national squad.
The Norwich City striker, believes he should have been capped by his country after becoming the second highest English scorer in the Premier League...
Roy Hodgson has named Ryan Shawcross, Kieran Gibbs and Celtic goalkeeper Fraser Forster in his England squad for the forthcoming World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Poland.
With John Terry now retired from international football, there had been plenty of speculation about who the fourth central defender would be.
Tottenham's Steven Caulker seemed like the obvious choice...
Celtic midfielder Joe Ledley hopes Fraser Forster's call-up to the England squad opens the door for Gary Hooper to follow.
Roy Hodgson surprised some people on Thursday when he named the big Geordie in his 25-man pool for the 2014 World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Poland.
At Hampden Park on Thursday for the Scottish Communities League Cup quarter-final draw, where...
Each day we'll bring you the very latest tabloid rumors as the biggest clubs around splash the cash to bolster their rosters. True or not, they're always entertaining...
Roy Hodgson told fans on a London Tube last night that Rio Ferdinand's England career had reached "the end of the road".
Daniel Agger is finally set to agree a new four-year...
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers feels Raheem Sterling is fully deserving of a place in the senior England squad at the moment.
Coach Roy Hodgson gave Sterling his first taste of the senior set-up by bringing him in ahead of last month's 1-1 draw with Ukraine, a game for which he ended up being an unused substitute.
Sterling has been omitted from the squad for this month&...
Roy Hodgson has announced his England squad for the upcoming friendlies against San Marino and Poland. There are call-ups for...
Rio Ferdinand has been overlooked as John Terry's replacement in the England squad, with uncapped center back Ryan Shawcross receiving just his second international call-up.
Coach Roy Hodgson announced Thursday that Ferdinand was not in the squad for upcoming World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Poland, a day after revealing to London Underground passengers that the 33...
England manager Roy Hodgson says he has tried to contact Rio Ferdinand to apologise for comments he made on the...
17-year old Sterling has come on leaps and bounds over the last six months, and despite his age, he's become a fixture in Liverpool's starting line-up. Roy Hodgson called the youngster into the full England squad last month, which capped the winger's meteoric rise this year, but Arsenal Legend Ian Wright insists that Hodgson made the wrong decision.
England boss Roy Hodgson has defended his decision to name Ryan Shawcross in the England squad for upcoming World Cup...
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is delighted at defender Rio Ferdinand’s exclusion from the England squad. The 33-year-old was...
West Ham striker Ricardo Vaz Te believes Andy Carroll can turn England into world champions, if Roy Hodgson uses the...
Harry Redknapp believes that Rio Ferdinand should forget about his involvement with England in order to prolong his Manchester United...