Found November 03, 2012 on
Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini is unconcerned over speculation linking former Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola with a move to the Etihad Stadium.
The Spanish boss, who left Barca at the end of last season following a glittering four-year spell at the club, has been linked with a move to the reigning Premier League champions.
Mancini is already working alongside two former Barcelona men in new director of football Txiki Begiristain and chief executive Ferran Soriano, but he shrugged off speculation Guardiola could follow.
Mancini said of Begiristain: "I am very happy. He has a lot of experience with a top club like Barca . If we did well in the last two years, I think we can do better in the future.
"If people write that Txiki is here and maybe next year Guardiola will arrive or another manager, this is not my problem. I'm here, I want to continue to work well because I think we are ready to improve and build a stronger team."
Mancini insists he will retain control over City 's signings despite Begiristain's appointment.
The Spaniard, who formerly held the same role at Barcelona , joined City last weekend, with the club announcing his role would include supporting the manager in player recruitment.
But the City boss expects Begiristain to fulfill the same role football administrator Brian Marwood has in previous transfer windows of completing the deals once targets have been identified.
Mancini said: "I want to decide which players we take, this is normal for every manager. I worked with Brian for three years, he was sporting director, I think Txiki will do the same job.
"I have my job and Txiki will have his job. I don't want to go to talk with other teams to buy players, this is not my job. Like every sporting director, he will talk with me before buying players."
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini has reacted angrily to further questions about his link with Monaco.
Last week Mancini did not deny reports that he spoke to the Ligue 2 club last season and said he was "close to seven or eight teams".
That remark has been interpreted in different ways, with the manager having given no indication as to whether he was joking about...
Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has not denied reports that he spoke to Monaco last season.
It has been reported that the Italian, prior to guiding City to the Barclays Premier League title, spoke to the wealthy Ligue 2 club with a view to joining them this season.
He went on to sign a new five-year contract at City over the summer and he insists he is happy at the Etihad...
Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini lost his temper Monday after further questions about his links with Monaco, and said he deserves more respect for ending the club's long search for silverware.
Mancini hasn't disputed reports he held talks with the French club in the offseason, saying last week that he was ''very close with seven or eight teams.''
Welcome back to another big weekend in the Premier League . We've got a new leader in Manchester United and we saw some great games this Saturday and Sunday ahead of a packed week of action in Europe.
Let's start with United: there's no doubt in my mind that this Saturday's meeting with Arsenal was the easiest win for the Red Devils in at least a decade. Sir Alex...
Roberto Mancini was reportedly on the verge of joining Monaco at the end of last season before signing a new...
Roberto Mancini's tinkering backfired again as Manchester City blew the chance to join Manchester United at the top of the Premier League at West Ham with 0-0 draw Saturday night.
Ten days after his three-at-the-back experiment in City's shattering Champions League defeat at Ajax, manager Mancini was at it again at the other end of the pitch at Upton Park.
But the decision...
Manchester City have declined to comment on a report that Roberto Mancini was involved in talks about becoming manager of Monaco last season.
On Thursday the Guardian reported on their website that Mancini spoke to the wealthy Ligue 2 outfit earlier this year with a view to joining them at the end of the last campaign.
It is claimed the Italian was offered a big-money contract...
Roberto Mancini has revealed he was in talks with as many as eight clubs over a move away from Manchester...
Neymar is no longer the next big thing. The 20-year-old is Brazilian soccer's man of the moment, and Manchester City wants to bring his magic to England.
Roberto Mancini has made Neymar his number one transfer target. The City manager plans to discuss signing Neymar when he meets the club's new director of football Txiki Begiristain this week, according to the Mail.
West Ham manager Sam Allardyce has dismissed suggestions that Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini is in under pressure. The Hammers...
Each day we'll bring you the very latest tabloid rumors as the biggest clubs around splash the cash to bolster their rosters. True or not, they're always entertaining.. .
Roberto Mancini will ask for the green light from the Manchester City owners to make a move for Santos sensation Neymar.
Manchester City could also offload Mario Balotelli to AC Milan as part of...
Micah Richards' knee injury will keep him out for just four weeks, according to Roberto Mancini.
The Manchester City defender was stretchered off during last week's defeat of Swansea, with initial reports suggesting he had torn a meniscus in his right knee.
A timescale of four months was put on Richards' recovery - a diagnosis repeated on the club's official website...