Rafael Nadal will not defend his title at the U.S. Open because of an injured right wrist.
Nadal and the tournament announced his withdrawal Monday, a week before the year's last Grand Slam tournament begins.
The 28-year-old Spaniard was hurt July 29 while practicing on his home island of Mallorca ahead of the North American hard-court circuit. The next day, Nadal said he had been told by doctors to wear a cast on his wrist for two to three weeks, and would have to sit out U.S. Open tuneup tournaments in Toronto and Cincinnati.
Nadal also said at that time he expected to be able to return for the U.S. Open.
But on Monday, he issued a statement on his Facebook page, saying he is "very sorry to announce" he was out of the tournament.
"I am sure you understand that it is a very tough moment for me since it is a tournament I love and where I have great memories from fans, the night matches, so many things," Nadal's posting read. "Not much more I can do right now, other than accept the...