Yardbarker
Yardbarker
x
First Four: Howard-Wagner Preview & Props
Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports

The NCAA Tournament officially begins Tuesday night with the First Four opener in Dayton, Ohio, where a pair No. 16 seeds square off for the right to meet West Regional top seed North Carolina.

The Wagner Seahawks (16-15) battle the Howard Bison (18-16) in a matchup of the lowest two seeds in the field of 68.

THE LINES

Howard is a consensus 3.5-point favorite, entering the NCAA Tournament as the 67th seed after knocking off Delaware State to win the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference tournament.

Meanwhile, Wagner, seeded 68th, entered the eight-team Northeast Conference field as the sixth seed and earned its way into the NCAA brackets by beating second-seeded Merrimack in the final.

The Bison have won seven of their past eight games and have been backed by 64 percent of the spread-line money at BetMGM. Their -175 moneyline also has drawn 61 percent of the money, while Wagner's +145 ML has been backed by 52 percent of the total bets.

The Over/Under at the book has shifted from 127.5 to 128.5, with the Over garnering 62 percent of the money.

THE HISTORY

This is just the second all-time meeting between the schools, with Wagner earning a 79-54 win in the 1997-98 season.

THE NEWS

Second-year coach Donald Copeland guided Wagner to a 7-9 finish in league play. The Seahawks had to win three straight on the road against the top three seeds in the conference to clinch their first NCAA Tournament berth since 2003, when they lost to Pitt in their lone all-time appearance.

"This was always the expectation," Copeland said of reaching the NCAA Tournament. "Those (league) games prepared for us what we faced, these adverse situations. We had been through them, and we handled them better."

Guard Tahron Allen led the Seahawks to the stunning conference run, playing all 40 minutes while scoring a game-high 22 points and adding seven rebounds in the title game. Allen is averaging 10.8 points and 5.1 rebounds this season.

The Seahawks, who had just seven healthy players for the NEC final, are led by junior guard Melvin Council Jr., who averaged 14.6 points, 5.7 rebounds and 3.4 assists to earn All-NEC first-team honors.

Council also played all 40 minutes in the tournament final and finished with 12 points and four rebounds.

The Bison also are making a run at a Cinderella story. They upset No. 1-seed Norfolk State in the MEAC semifinals before taking down Delaware State 70-67 in the finals, led by guard Jordan Hairston's 18 points.

Howard is led by Bryce Harris, their all-MEAC first-team selection. The junior guard leads Howard in scoring (16.6) and rebounding (7.6) this season. Harris and Seth Towns added 16 apiece for the Bison in the title game win.

"We really shot the 3-point basket well in the first half, but they made adjustments at the half," Howard head coach Kenneth Blakeney said. "This allowed Bryce more room inside and that proved to be very effective for us down the stretch.

Marcus Dockery, a junior guard, was an All-MEAC second-team selection, shooting an impressive 41.2 percent from 3-point range and knocking down a team-leading 93 triples this season.

THEY SAID IT

--"It definitely feels unreal. I'm still processing this. The love I'm getting from my school, the family, the people I've known since I was young, it's definitely unreal." --Allen

--"In all of my years of coaching and being around basketball, I have not seen a season like this. We used 13 different lineups due to injuries and COVID." --Blakeney

This article first appeared on Field Level Media and was syndicated with permission.

More must-reads:

Customize Your Newsletter

Yardbarker +

Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!

TODAY'S BEST

Arkansas-Duke takeaways: Cameron Boozer leads Blue Devils to 8-0 start for first time since 2017
College Basketball

Arkansas-Duke takeaways: Cameron Boozer leads Blue Devils to 8-0 start for first time since 2017

No. 4 Duke held off No. 22 Arkansas for a 80-71 win inside the United Center on Thursday evening, earning a monumental early-season victory in a game that felt very March Madness-esque. Here are four takeaways from a Thanksgiving classic. Cameron Boozer continues to shine Cameron Boozer came into Thursday's contest averaging 21.1 points per game. With his father Carlos in attendance, the younger Boozer showed out. Boozer scored 15 points and 18 points in wins over Texas and Kansas, respectively. But he turned in the best performance of his young collegiate career on Thursday, scoring 35 points on 13-of-18 shooting from the field and coming up one rebound shy of a double-double. Boozer will be a matchup nightmare for each and every team he faces for the remainder of his freshman season, and he was a thorn in the Razorbacks' side on Thursday. Arkansas freshmen fall short but show out Boozer deservedly got much of the attention during Thursday's game, but Arkansas' pair of dynamic freshmen also made their mark. Freshman guards Darius Acuff Jr. (21 points) and Meleek Thomas (13 points) kept Arkansas in the game and continue to show that they are consistently viable scoring options for head coach John Calipari. Fouls bite Hogs late Fouls were far from the only reason Arkansas came up short on Thursday, but they definitely had an impact. With Boozer already on fire, Arkansas' big men — Trevon Brazile, Nick Pringle and Malique Ewin — were all in foul trouble in the second half, which didn't allow Arkansas to play aggressive defense against Duke's freshman star. The result was Boozer shooting a total of 11 free throws on Thursday and Brazile fouling out of the game. Duke starts 8-0 for first time in eight years For the first time since 2017-18, the Blue Devils are undefeated through their first eight games. After getting to the Final Four a year ago, John Scheyer's squad looks like it has the potential to make another deep tournament run. Duke will look to start 9-0 when it hosts defending national champion Florida on Dec. 2.

Details emerge on Francisco Lindor's alleged incident with Mets teammate
MLB

Details emerge on Francisco Lindor's alleged incident with Mets teammate

Mr. Smile apparently wasn’t smiling too much about one of his teammates last season. New York Mets shortstop Francisco Lindor had a "heated confrontation" with teammate Jeff McNeil last June, Mike Puma of the New York Post reported on Friday. Puma writes that Lindor began verbally attacking McNeil on June 20 over a defensive lapse that McNeil had during that day’s game against the Philadelphia Phillies. The confrontation, which was only verbal and never got physical, came in the midst of a seven-game losing streak by the Mets at the time. Puma also reports that the flashy Lindor clashed personalities during the year with the business-like Juan Soto during the season as well. Interestingly enough, the five-time All-Star Lindor also had a confrontation with McNeil in the dugout during a game in the 2021 MLB season. That confrontation did turn physical, and Lindor later offered an extremely unconvincing excuse for the incident. Meanwhile, the incident last June underscored the Mets’ struggles to get on the same page with one another during the 2025 campaign. Despite having a mammoth $342 million payroll, the Mets completely collapsed in the final weeks of the season and missed the playoffs altogether. Now there are rumors that the Mets could make some big changes this offseason, including a potential trade of McNeil. After another apparent confrontation between the veteran utilityman and the four-time Silver Slugger Award winner Lindor, it is clear that something is not quite working right now in that clubhouse.

Packers announce head-turning roster move one day after 2025 Lions sweep
NFL

Packers announce head-turning roster move one day after 2025 Lions sweep

Fresh off a Thanksgiving win on Thursday against the Detroit Lions on the road at Ford Field in Detroit, the Green Bay Packers made a notable move to reunite with kicker Lucas Havrisik. Green Bay parted ways with Havrisik just before the Lions game, but on Friday, the team announced that he’s back in the fold after getting signed to the practice squad roster. Via Green Bay’s official website: “The Green Bay Packers signed K Lucas Havrisik (HAVE-ruh-sick) to the practice squad. General Manager Brian Gutekunst announced the transaction Friday.” Lucas Havrisik insurance for now for the Packers It can be recalled that Havrisik saw action in three games in the 2025 NFL season for Green Bay in place of the then-injured Brandon McManus. In those games, the former Arizona Wildcats kicker went 4-for-4 on his field goals, including a franchise record-setting 61-yard make in Week 7’s 27-23 win in Glendale over the Arizona Cardinals. He was also 7-for-9 on extra-point attempts, with both misses happening in Week 11’s 27-20 victory against the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford. McManus is healthy and perfect in the two games since he returned to action, so there is no reason for the Packers to give his spot to someone else so Havrisik will just be insurance for now for Green Bay, which has a Week 14 date with the Chicago Bears at Lambeau Field.

Hawks provide injury update on Trae Young amid recent success
NBA

Hawks provide injury update on Trae Young amid recent success

While Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young is making “good progress” in his recovery from a sprained MCL in his right knee, he will miss at least two more weeks, which is the next time he’ll be reevaluated, the team announced in a press release. Young injured his knee in a collision with teammate Mouhamed Gueye in the first quarter of an Oct. 29 game at Brooklyn. He was ruled out for the rest of that game and was diagnosed with the MCL sprain a few days later after undergoing an MRI, which revealed no additional damage. The 27-year-old point guard was scheduled to be checked out on Saturday. This is the first update on his status since Nov. 1. Atlanta Hawks have found success despite Trae Young injury Atlanta has played well without the four-time All-Star, compiling an 11-5 record (including the victory over the Nets) in Young’s absence. He’s expected to be sidelined for six more games, with the earliest possible return date likely being Dec. 14 vs. Philadelphia. Fifth-year forward Jalen Johnson has thrived with Young sidelined, emerging as the face of the franchise and complicating his teammate’s future with the organization, according to Brett Siegel of ClutchPoints. Although the Hawks value young Young’s contributions and are eager to have him back in the near future, they may not be willing to give him the type of contract he could be seeking next offseason if he declines his $49M player option for 2026-27 to become an unrestricted free agent. Johnson had another huge game on Friday against Cleveland, compiling 29 points, 12 rebounds, 12 assists for his second triple-double of the season, writes Lauren L. Williams of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (subscriber link). Johnson, who turns 24 years old next month, was plus-20 in 39 minutes during the seven-point victory over the Cavaliers. Reigning Most Improved Player Dyson Daniels has also taken on expanded play-making duties with Young out, and will continue to do so until his fellow starter in the backcourt is ready to return. It will be interesting to see what head coach Quin Snyder decides to do with Nickeil Alexander-Walker when Young is back. The Canadian guard, who was acquired in a sign-and-trade with Minnesota over the summer, has more than doubled his scoring average (19.3 point per game) compared to last season (9.4). He has been starting alongside Daniels for the past 13 games.