Yardbarker
x
'I’ve told my kids I will and that’s enough': Michael Smith makes vow to come back stronger amid World Series anguish
Taylor Lanning/PDC

Michael Smith failed to qualify for the World Series of Darts Finals only just as he was beaten by Cameron Menzies 6-4 in the final round of the qualifier for the AFAS Live based tournament in Amsterdam. But he vowed to get it right for his kids.

Smith has had a rough 18 months and he faces the prospect of not playing in both the World Grand Prix and European Championship with injuries and illness playing their part. He failed to qualify for the World Matchplay last month for the first time since 2013 and now the World Series Finals.

This saw a run end of 60 consecutive appearances in televised ranked events. He also doesn't qualify for the World Series Finals for the first time since 2014 in an event he has been a near ever present in. But having to go back to qualifiers which he may have to get used to isn't easy as he has found out as with fine margins your campaign can soon be over.

He crashed out in round one of Event 25 yesterday on the Players Championship series after deciding not to play the previous ones albeit he said that was a calculated decision as he wasn't ready and didn't want to go if he was throwing rubbish darts. But he did show some form on Monday reaching the Last 16 and was throwing some good darts.

Defiant Smith vows to be back

But while he said it hurts, he vowed to be back saying he told his kids that he will be and he has continued to maintain that through all of this he will get back to his best eventually.

“After stepping away for 10 weeks and not throwing anything for that period it was hard with the pain I was going through," said Smith on his Facebook.

“The arthritis in my right shoulder wrist and foot. But all the injections and medications it was hard to believe but… playing this week with no expectations. But being there and making the last 16 then a shocking game Tuesday.

“In the World Series qualifier where I half expected an invite being the runner up last year but (just another number) was a hard pill to swallow but in that last game and missing doubles and certain shots f------ hurts.

 

 

 

 

 

“But like I just messaged my kids, I hope everyone takes advantage of me now because I promise it’s not going to be long, and we will be back sat at the head of that table sipping champagne loving live.

“I’m not going to promise you I’ll be back as I’ve told my kids I will and that’s enough. See you in Belgium where I can start to recover more of my game."

He will return this weekend at the Flanders Darts Trophy in Belgium with 'Bully Boy' set to take his place in the field with the draw confirmed on Thursday. He also shared his hope to end the above statement in getting his form back there.

This article first appeared on Dartsnews.com and was syndicated with permission.

More must-reads:

Customize Your Newsletter

Yardbarker +

Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!