
After nearly 20 years as a correspondent, Anderson Cooper has left 60 Minutes, bidding farewell in a final emotional broadcast. The veteran journalist served as a correspondent on the long-running news program for two decades, but his decision to step away comes amid ongoing behind-the-scenes turmoil at CBS News.
Cooper made his departure on Sunday, May 19, paying tribute to the legacy of the newsmagazine in an emotional sendoff. “I hope 60 Minutes remains 60 Minutes. There’s very few things that have been around as long as 60 Minutes has and maintained the quality that it has. And things can always evolve and change, and I think that’s awesome. And things should evolve and change, but I hope the core of what 60 Minutes is always remains.”
Fans and viewers are now left wondering what the anchor will do next.
Cooper’s decision to leave is believed to be tied to the major changes the network has undergone since Bari Weiss was appointed editor-in-chief in October 2025, including a wave of firings, hirings, and executive promotions. In December, Weiss reportedly pulled a segment on CECOT prison from correspondent Sharyn Alfonsi. The infamous El Salvadoran facility had been used by the Trump administration to house deportees. Alfonsi later criticized Weiss’ decision, claiming it was politically motivated.
The show’s long-time executive producer, Bill Owens, left in April 2025, stating, “It has become clear that I would not be allowed to run the show as I have always run it.” This came amid CBS’s parent company, Paramount, seeking to merge with Skydance, which required government approval.
Cooper’s spokesperson told the AP that he had no comment when asked whether his exit was related to Weiss’ leadership. However, according to Oliver Darcy’s Status newsletter, one source said Cooper wasn’t aligned with the “rightward direction” of CBS News under Weiss and Paramount CEO David Ellison. “He wasn’t comfortable with the direction the show was taking under Bari, and is in a position where he doesn’t have to put up with it,” the source claimed.
Cooper is still quite a busy man despite leaving his high-profile gig at 60 Minutes. He will continue to host his show, Anderson Cooper 360°, on CNN, after renewing his contract in December 2025.
With the end his run on 60 Minutes, Anderson Cooper will step away from the broadcast to focus on his family and his primary role at CNN.
Furthermore, The Whole Story with Anderson Cooper is expected to continue on CNN through 2027. Cooper signed a multi-year contract extension with CNN and is expected to continue hosting and spearheading the weekly single-subject newsmagazine (per Variety). Furthermore, he will continue hosting his CNN podcast, All There Is, which focuses on grief and loss.
He will also continue to co-host CNN’s annual live New Year’s Eve broadcast with Andy Cohen, as well as continue to host joint live stage appearances with Cohen, titled AC2: An Intimate Evening with Anderson Cooper and Andy Cohen.
60 Minutes, Sundays, 7/6 c, CBS
More must-reads:
+
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!