Yardbarker
Yardbarker
x
Kirk Herbstreit Has One-Word Reaction to Vanderbilt’s 2025 SEC Title Win
© Jerome Miron-Imagn Images

Vanderbilt baseball’s 2025 SEC Tournament title run was one to remember—but the biggest reaction might’ve come from someone not even in the stadium.

Kirk Herbstreit, best known for his work on the football side of ESPN, took to X after the Commodores clinched their latest crown with a 3–2 win over Ole Miss in Sunday’s championship game.

Herbstreit is an adamant fan of all college sport and he reacted just as a typical fan would in this moment.

His one-word tweet?

“Corrrrbs!!!!”

It was short, but it spoke volumes — a direct shoutout to Tim Corbin, the head coach who’s turned Vanderbilt into one of college baseball’s most respected programs over the last two decades. Under Corbin, the Commodores have developed a reputation for discipline, pitching dominance, and postseason success.

That formula held strong once again in Hoover.

In a low-scoring title matchup against the No. Rebels, Vanderbilt relied on elite pitching and two clutch home runs to seal the win. It marked the fifth SEC Tournament championship in program history — and extended their winning streak to eight games, further solidifying their argument for the top national seed in the upcoming NCAA Tournament.

Herbstreit’s reaction — coming from a national voice not typically tied to college baseball — highlights just how wide the respect for Corbin and the VandyBoys really stretches.

Vanderbilt entered the tournament as the No. 4 seed, but left with the SEC crown and serious national momentum. And with Corbin at the helm, it’s clear the Commodores are peaking at exactly the right time.

This article first appeared on Athlon Sports and was syndicated with permission.

More must-reads:

TODAY'S BEST

Predicting How UNC’s Offense Will Fare vs. NC State
General Sports

Predicting How UNC’s Offense Will Fare vs. NC State

The North Carolina Tar Heels will conclude their season with a road date against the North Carolina State Wolfpack on Saturday. The Tar Heels have been one of the biggest disappointments in college football this season, failing to qualify for a bowl game. That became official after losing to the Duke Blue Devils last weekend, leaving North Carolina with a 4-7 record heading into the season finale. Despite being eliminated from postseason play, the Tar Heels have a lot to play for on Saturday, with a monumental in-state rivalry on tap. Offensively, North Carolina produced its best outing against Duke, as it had a well-balanced attack featuring the passing and rushing attack. The Tar Heels must replicate that same operation against an underrated Wolfpack defense. With that being said, here are statistical predictions for several of North Carolina's offensive players. Gio Lopez Stat line prediction: 20-of-29 for 201 yards, one touchdown, and one interception The junior quarterback has surpassed 200 passing yards in five straight games, and that streak could extend to six games on Saturday. North Carolina State's ability to score in bunches will force the Tar Heels into a pass-heavy game script, which will elevate Lopez's statistical output. Lopez will have to make timely throws against a defense that operates predominantly in man coverage. Jordan Shipp Stat line prediction: 9 targets, 6 receptions for 77 yards and one touchdown Shipp has been the top target in the passing game this season, and that will carry over into the final game of the season. The sophomore receiver's season outlook has been capped by poor quarterback play, as he has accumulated only 581 yards and five touchdowns through 11 games. That being said, this could be Shipp's second consecutive game with at least 75 receiving yards, and third time in four games, where he eclipses that mark. Davion Gause Stat line prediction: 10 carries for 65 yards and one touchdown The sophomore running back managed 63 yards and one rushing touchdown on eight carries last week against the Blue Devils. Gause could easily surpass that mark with a heavier workload against North Carolina State on Saturday. Now, Gause will not be running through the red sea like he was last week, as the Wolfpack's defense is much more dominant up front than what Duke has to offer. However, Gause has demonstrated that he can develop into a workhorse back heading into next season.

Details emerge on Francisco Lindor's alleged incident with Mets teammate
MLB

Details emerge on Francisco Lindor's alleged incident with Mets teammate

Mr. Smile apparently wasn’t smiling too much about one of his teammates last season. New York Mets shortstop Francisco Lindor had a "heated confrontation" with teammate Jeff McNeil last June, Mike Puma of the New York Post reported on Friday. Puma writes that Lindor began verbally attacking McNeil on June 20 over a defensive lapse that McNeil had during that day’s game against the Philadelphia Phillies. The confrontation, which was only verbal and never got physical, came in the midst of a seven-game losing streak by the Mets at the time. Puma also reports that the flashy Lindor clashed personalities during the year with the business-like Juan Soto during the season as well. Interestingly enough, the five-time All-Star Lindor also had a confrontation with McNeil in the dugout during a game in the 2021 MLB season. That confrontation did turn physical, and Lindor later offered an extremely unconvincing excuse for the incident. Meanwhile, the incident last June underscored the Mets’ struggles to get on the same page with one another during the 2025 campaign. Despite having a mammoth $342 million payroll, the Mets completely collapsed in the final weeks of the season and missed the playoffs altogether. Now there are rumors that the Mets could make some big changes this offseason, including a potential trade of McNeil. After another apparent confrontation between the veteran utilityman and the four-time Silver Slugger Award winner Lindor, it is clear that something is not quite working right now in that clubhouse.

Packers announce head-turning roster move one day after 2025 Lions sweep
NFL

Packers announce head-turning roster move one day after 2025 Lions sweep

Fresh off a Thanksgiving win on Thursday against the Detroit Lions on the road at Ford Field in Detroit, the Green Bay Packers made a notable move to reunite with kicker Lucas Havrisik. Green Bay parted ways with Havrisik just before the Lions game, but on Friday, the team announced that he’s back in the fold after getting signed to the practice squad roster. Via Green Bay’s official website: “The Green Bay Packers signed K Lucas Havrisik (HAVE-ruh-sick) to the practice squad. General Manager Brian Gutekunst announced the transaction Friday.” Lucas Havrisik insurance for now for the Packers It can be recalled that Havrisik saw action in three games in the 2025 NFL season for Green Bay in place of the then-injured Brandon McManus. In those games, the former Arizona Wildcats kicker went 4-for-4 on his field goals, including a franchise record-setting 61-yard make in Week 7’s 27-23 win in Glendale over the Arizona Cardinals. He was also 7-for-9 on extra-point attempts, with both misses happening in Week 11’s 27-20 victory against the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford. McManus is healthy and perfect in the two games since he returned to action, so there is no reason for the Packers to give his spot to someone else so Havrisik will just be insurance for now for Green Bay, which has a Week 14 date with the Chicago Bears at Lambeau Field.

Nick Sirianni sends message after Eagles fans called for Kevin Patullo's firing
NFL

Nick Sirianni sends message after Eagles fans called for Kevin Patullo's firing

Nick Sirianni is standing by his coaching staff amid calls for the Philadelphia Eagles to make a serious change to their offense. Eagles fans were unhappy with the team’s offensive play-calling during their 24-15 loss to the Chicago Bears. Philadelphia made several questionable calls throughout the contest, including a decision to let the clock run down to the two-minute warning in the first half, which drew loud boos inside Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, Pa. With the Eagles putting up just nine points midway through the fourth quarter, fans started chanting for offensive coordinator Kevin Patullo to be fired. “Fire Kevin! Fire Kevin!” fans were heard chanting. Fans did not get their wish, at least for the time being. When asked about a potential change at play-caller, the Eagles head coach backed Patullo. “This is the greatest team sport there is, and it is never about one person,” Sirianni said during his postgame news conference. “I have confidence in the entire group. I know it will keep coming back to Kevin. If I thought it was one thing, then you make those changes. Obviously, it’s a lot of different things. I don’t think it is Kevin.” The Eagles offense has looked anemic through 12 games this season, which is in stark contrast to last season’s Super-Bowl-winning offense. The offense has looked even worse over the past four weeks, with the team putting up just 15.5 points per contest during that span. The most glaring regression has been the play of Saquon Barkley, who has gone from MVP finalist to middle-of-the-pack running back in the span of a few months. With Patullo taking the offensive reins from previous OC Kellen Moore, who became the head coach of the New Orleans Saints, it’s not hard to see why fans are pinning the blame on him. Despite the Eagles’ offensive struggles, the team still sits at a solid 8-4 through Week 13. Philly’s elite defense may be masking the team’s offensive inefficiencies thus far. If the Eagles drop a few more games, Sirianni may have a harder time staying loyal to Patullo.

Customize Your Newsletter

Yardbarker +

Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!