Many assumed the New York Mets shifting ace Jacob deGrom to the 60-day injured list last week because of the elbow inflammation that's kept him sidelined since the end of the All-Star break was the unofficial end of the 33-year-old's season.
That may not be the case.
Mets acting general manager Zack Scott told reporters ahead of Tuesday's home game against the San Francisco Giants that deGrom is scheduled to have an MRI Wednesday and could soon start a throwing program:
Zack Scott says Jacob deGrom is scheduled for an MRI tomorrow:— SNY (@SNYtv) August 24, 2021
"If we see continued improvement like we saw the last time, then the expectation would be to start getting him on a throwing program" pic.twitter.com/njcVCaRzef
The Mets began Tuesday evening at 61-63 and trailing the first-place Atlanta Braves by six-and-a-half games in the National League East division standings. Scott suggested deGrom could nevertheless return to the rotation before the season ends even if the Mets are mathematically eliminated:
Zack Scott on what the Mets can learn from Jacob deGrom pitching late in the season, even if they are out of the race:— SNY (@SNYtv) August 24, 2021
"We'll learn about how he's doing physically. It's important for him to be in a good place going into the offseason." pic.twitter.com/wDGA55Ipgv
The two-time NL Cy Young Award winner won't be eligible to return from the IL until Sept. 13 at the earliest, and the Mets theoretically could shut deGrom down following any MRI between now and then. Considering he's dealt with six separate injury issues this season, alone, trying to convince any fans that he should face batters even in simulated situations before next spring could prove to be difficult for Scott and anybody else associated with the organization.