MLB Network's Jon Morosi tweeted on Thursday evening that the New York Mets are viewed as favorites to sign the 30-year-old who remains the top starting pitcher available in free agency:
The #Mets are the current favorite to sign Trevor Bauer, one source with knowledge of the @MLB pitching market said in the last hour. @ByRobertMurray reported earlier today that Bauer and the Mets are in talks. @MLBNetwork— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) February 4, 2021
MLB insider Jon Heyman added information on the deal the Mets allegedly offered Bauer:
Mets’ offer is 3 years, believed to be close to $100M. Ed Coleman of @WFAN660 reported 3 years, about $90M. Offer is even a bit higher. Opt-out likely after 1, as Ed said.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) February 4, 2021
Heyman previously tweeted the Mets expect to learn of Bauer's answer before Friday night.
Meanwhile, Rachel Luba, Bauer's agent, hinted that only two clubs are now in the market for her client.
The Mets executed the biggest blockbuster trade of the offseason last month when they acquired Lindor, a four-time All-Star, and Carrasco from the Indians. Lindor can enter free agency after the 2021 season, but it's believed the Mets will approach the 27-year-old about signing an extension before he arrives for spring training workouts.
"I give a strong chance … let’s call it 8 out of 10," Anthony DiComo wrote for the league's official website about the Mets potentially signing Lindor to a long-term deal this month. "As much as Mets officials say they are pleased with their trade for Lindor regardless of the long-term ramifications, the deal would certainly look better if the Mets can lock him up to an extension. There’s a real motivation to get something done, and Lindor has indicated he’s interested, as well. So as long as the money is right, there appears to be a match."
As of early Thursday evening, Deesha Thosar of the New York Daily News reported that Bauer and the Mets have not come to terms on a finalized deal despite a conflicting report.