Negotiations between MLB owners and the MLB Players Association regarding the start of the 2020 campaign amid the coronavirus pandemic seemingly grow uglier in the public eye by the day.
Earlier this week, Joel Sherman of the New York Post produced a so-called "smoking gun" email from March that allegedly proves the players understood an agreement about pro-rated salaries being paid by owners for a pandemic-shortened season would likely need to be amended to account for games played behind closed doors and without fans.
It's widely believed any baseball games completed this summer will occur inside empty ballparks.
On Thursday, MLB Network insider Jon Heyman tweeted information reportedly found inside an internal memo shared among union members:
Players union in internal memo says it is “livid” over so-called smoking gun MLB email becoming public in NY Post and is an attempt by MLB at “railroading” players. Union memo also noted it requested paperwork from MLB it has yet to receive March 13. So tension persists.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) May 21, 2020
Note: The Jesse Spector story on Deadspin can be found here.
The players union memo, which was obtained here, begins thusly (and ominously) ... “As MLB misinformation continues to be pushed out through the media and various club personnel, we wanted to provide some straightforward facts for player reference ...” (cont for their facts)— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) May 21, 2020
The players union memo lists these as facts: 1) they are committed to getting an agreement but no deal or MLB proposal yet 2) no date has been set to resume spring 3) the union will provide time to arrange accommodations 4) MLB hasn’t responded to March 13 request for $ documents— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) May 21, 2020
One clarification: the union uses a quote from the @Deadspin piece saying it is “rightfully livid” at MLB and it is clear throughout the memo that they are indeed upset about what they call “misinformation.” But the word “livid” was from a quote from @jessespector in his piece.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) May 21, 2020
On Wednesday, Hall of Fame ace Tom Glavine warned the players they, not the owners, will be blamed among the majority of fans if the season is canceled.
Glavine told Steve Hummer of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:
"If it were to come down to an economic issue and that's the reason baseball didn't come back, you're looking at a situation similar to the strike of '94 and '95 as far as fans are concerned. Even if players were 100 percent justified in what they were complaining about, they're still going to look bad."
You'll receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams.
Emailed daily. Always FREE!