
First baseman Pete Alonso leaving the New York Mets and signing a five-year, $155M contract to join the Baltimore Orioles this offseason wasn't all that shocking a development, as it became clear that Mets president of baseball operations David Stearns had no interest in locking Alonso down via a long-term agreement.
However, pockets of Mets fans grew particularly annoyed about the situation when they learned that the club never extended a formal offer to Alonso before he took his talents to Baltimore. During a recent chat with David Lennon of Newsday, Alonso was asked if it bothered him that the Mets let him walk out the door without putting up a fight this past fall.
"For me, there’s no need to think about the what-ifs and the hypotheticals because I’m so appreciated here," Alonso told Lennon. "To where it’s like I feel so comfortable, so awesome with this group, that I don’t need to look back. I’m beyond happy here, so there’s no reason for me to think anything else other than this organization winning a World Series."
Alonso was a homegrown star who previously played only for the Mets since making his big-league debut in 2019 and who became the franchise's all-time home run king last summer. The "Polar Bear" was also one of the more popular players among Mets fans of the 2020s.
Alonso routinely made it known throughout 2024 and 2025 that he wanted to remain with the Mets, but Stearns had other plans.
"Beyond grateful for the experience," Alonso said about his Mets tenure. "But my biggest priority is to win for this team and the city of Baltimore. I’m beyond appreciative for the past -- but it’s the past. I need to focus on the present and the future."
Much has been made about the supposed clubhouse issues that impacted a 2025 Mets side that ended June 12 with a record of 45-24 before it endured a brutal collapse and missed the playoffs. Along with Alonso, Stearns also said farewell to star closer Edwin Diaz, outfielder Brandon Nimmo and utility man Jeff McNeil this offseason.
Alonso may be "beyond happy" to be with Baltimore, but he also hasn't forgotten those who supported him from the spring of 2019 through this past September.
"It was a part of the journey," Alonso added about his time with the Mets. "I’d like to think I made a lot of great memories, and I’ll carry those memories for the rest of my life."
More must-reads:
+
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!