Reports: MLB owners approve Mets sale to Steve Cohen
Steve Cohen has gotten the approval of at least 23 MLB owners in his bid to purchase the Mets. Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

Reports: MLB owners approve Mets sale to Steve Cohen

The New York Mets have a new owner. 

ESPN and other outlets reported on Friday that MLB owners voted to approve the sale of the Mets to billionaire hedge fund manager Steve Cohen, who previously owned 8% of the franchise. Cohen is expected to assume 95% ownership of the Mets, while Fred Wilpon, Saul Katz, Wilpon's son Jeff, and their families will retain the remaining 5%. 

Previous reports valued the sale at a record $2.42 billion, surpassing the $2.15 billion that Guggenheim Baseball Management reportedly paid to acquire the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2012.

MLB's ownership committee reviewed and approved the transaction earlier this month. 

There were concerns New York City could potentially block the sale because an agreement in the team's lease gives the city the right to prevent someone convicted of a felony or linked with organized crime from owning the club. Cohen was never convicted, but SAC Capital Partners, his former company, pleaded guilty in an insider trading case in 2014.

However, NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio poured cold water over those fears soon after reports of Friday's vote went public: 

Cohen's first move as Mets owner is expected to be the naming of former general manager Sandy Alderson as team president. ESPN's Jeff Passan tweeted Cohen wants to turn the Mets into a "total juggernaut." 

Zac Wassink is a football and futbol aficionado who is a PFWA member and is probably yelling about Tottenham Hotspur at the moment. Erik Lamela and Eli Manning apologist. Chanted for Matt Harvey to start the ninth inning of Game 5 of the 2015 World Series at Citi Field. Whoops. You can find him on Twitter at @ZacWassink

More must-reads:

Customize Your Newsletter

+

Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.