Despite what he said at UFC 319, Khamzat Chimaev might not have been as eager for a quick turnaround as he let on.
He finally reached the top in Chicago this month, where a new middleweight era officially began at the pay-per-view event.
Chimaev took control of the UFC 319 main event from start to finish, ending Dricus du Plessis’ run after two successful title defences, and handing him his first loss in the promotion.
That’s when concerns started to grow about how active Chimaev would be as champion. Even before the fight, former fighter Din Thomas called it a “disaster” for the sport if he won.
In response to those doubts, Chimaev outlined a return plan, stating his intention to win the belt and defend it just two months later in Abu Dhabi. However, recent reports suggest that ‘Borz’ may have changed his tune.
After UFC 319, Dana White approved Chimaev’s plan to return quickly, sparking discussions about his first title defence coming as early as UFC 321 in October.
Reinier de Ridder emerged as the frontrunner, as he made his case clear with a win over Robert Whittaker back in July.
Speaking on Submission Radio, De Ridder’s manager, Ali Abdelaziz, confirmed that talks had happened but said Chimaev was now pushing his next fight into 2026.
“I talked to the UFC. If Khamzat would have fought in October, it would have been Reinier de Ridder fighting Khamzat. But Khamzat said, you know, he is gonna fight next year.
“They offered ‘Fluffy’. De Ridder said, ‘You know what, I am not gonna wait?’ … He takes this fight and now he is gonna fight a very tough fight.”
De Ridder will instead face fellow highly ranked contender Anthony Hernandez in the main event of UFC Vancouver on October 18.
During that same interview, Abdelaziz also addressed speculation about a potential bout between Chimaev and another fighter he represents.
With Makhachev moving up to welterweight and Chimaev hinting at a return to 170 pounds in his quest for titles across three weight classes, there has been growing talk of a super fight between the two.
Makhachev had already played down the idea at a recent press conference, and his manager reinforced that stance with even stronger comments on whether the matchup could actually happen.
“This fight will never happen. First of all, Khamzat is too big. I don’t think he can ever make welterweight.
“And in a way, like these guys, they know each other. I don’t think they’re from the same region.
“And honestly, these fights make absolutely no sense.
“I think if Khamzat goes up and wants to fight a light heavyweight, maybe it makes more sense.”
More must-reads:
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!