Yardbarker
x
‘Never coming back’… Magomed Ankalaev shares alarming update on Alex Pereira rematch
Stephen R. Sylvanie-Imagn Images

Uncertainty continues to surround the potential UFC light heavyweight championship rematch between Magomed Ankalaev and Alex Pereira.

This comes three months on from Ankalaev’s decision win over Pereira at UFC 313, which brought the Brazilian’s reign to an end after three successful defenses.

Given his memorable and destructive rule over the division before running into the Dagestani, Pereira was tipped for an immediate rematch.

And that sentiment was shared by the champ, with Ankalaev quickly agreeing to a rematch against Pereira for later in 2025.

But with a date still not on the calendar, the Russian is losing patience.

Magomed Ankalaev wants to ‘move on’ after claiming Alex Pereira isn’t returning

At first, Ankalaev and Pereira seemed to agree a timeline of the summer for their second showdown. But the latter’s rejection of a title shot at UFC 317 on June 28 cast uncertainty over that and drew backlash from the champion.

And beyond just June, Ankalaev has alleged in a post on X that the Brazilian also has no plans to return to action in July or August.

With that, the light heavyweight kingpin wants to move on to other options, as he is convinced that ‘Poatan’ has no intention of a comeback.

“Alex [is] done, [he’s] never coming back,” Ankalaev wrote. “Let’s move on; June, July, August I said yes.”

Alex Pereira’s ‘hacker’ previously threatened UFC retirement

Talk of Pereira suddenly retiring already emerged after a social media post hinted toward a falling out with the UFC.

But Pereira explained that a post calling out the promotion for disrespect and threatening to walk away from the sport was made by a hacker.

The likes of Daniel Cormier rejected Pereira’s hacked claim, especially after it came to light that Jiri Prochazka had been offered a shot at UFC 317 in light of his unavailability.

Reports of Pereira fighting through an injury at UFC 313 could also explain a longer-than-usual rest from activity for ‘Poatan’, who was said to have battled a number of physical issues during his 3-0 run in 2024.

This article first appeared on Bloody Elbow and was syndicated with permission.

More must-reads:

Customize Your Newsletter

Yardbarker +

Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!